Premed 101 Forums

Best Options

Hi, I have been lurking here for the past couple months. I was hoping for some advice/guidance on what to do. If this is the wrong place to post I apologize.

This summer I shadowed a family friend who is a surgeon. I got to observe a couple of the surgeries he performed and it made me really re-evaluate my path. I went into it expecting to be intrigued and left mesmerized. 

If I had known this a couple years ago things would have been different and my path to medicine would be much more clear. As it stands; here are my stats

Third Year Full-time (yay, parental support!), UofT, Compsci.

First (10FCE) part-time (over 4 years). Working part-time 

cGPA 3.4

Most recent 5.0 FCE GPA 3.94

Pre-med Courses: First year Cell-bio and organic chem (I enjoyed them but in first year I liked CS way more)

Zero ECE

My current plan was just to get a nice software development job on graduation but I would like to become a surgeon if it is still a possibility. What concerns me is that my stats are so far below the average REJECTED applicant that I feel strong reservation about trying for what might ultimately be a "crap-shoot".

To be honest I do not care about where I will be practicing (and my parents are now supporting me so money is not an issue).

If I continue to work hard, take some additional lifesci courses and do well on the MCAT: 

Where should I apply?

What are my chances?

Would you suggest I switch goals?

TLDNR: I have a profession (CS) that I enjoy but surgery is my true calling. What are my options to assure myself an MD and a consequent residency into surgery somewhere.

Thanks in advance for your advice!

As you have already been browsing the forum,  you understand your question of how to assure yourself MD/Surgeon is a little frivolous.

If you are serious, you first need to get to the minimum application requirements to apply.  You will likely now need your 3rd and 4th  year results completed to help your GPA.  You will find some Ontario schools take your best x years instead of 4 year cumulative undergrad.  If you can ace your fourth year as well, that may give you a weighted GPA that unlocks a few schools.

If you happen to be a resident of Quebec or Maritimes,  your cumulative GPA may also be sufficient to apply in those regions.

Study and write the MCAT next summer and see how you do.   A stellar MCAT could unlock a couple other Ontario school applications. 

With minimal EC’s, your application will be pretty bare compared to your competition.  That will be an uphill battle to get an interview.   You may want to start right now with one or two select ECs.  They should be quality over quantity and show true involvement and leadership (not a participant ribbon), so choose wisely.    

Then,  like everyone else here, you hope that one of the schools sees something in your application to give you an interview.

--- It can be done  

@YesICan55: Your asinine response contributed nothing. I would urge you to evaluate whether your actions are constructive.

As to your snide question; I was totally blown away inside the OR and was in awe of how the surgeon conducted the procedures. It is something that I could see myself doing for the rest of my life. 

I do not think that my experience of seeing a working professional and consequently wanting to follow their path is "unusual". I am certain there are quite a few people on this forum who have had a similar experience.

As you have already been browsing the forum,  you understand your question of how to assure yourself MD/Surgeon is a little frivolous.

If you are serious, you first need to get to the minimum application requirements to apply.  You will likely now need your 3rd and 4th  year results completed to help your GPA.  You will find some Ontario schools take your best x years instead of 4 year cumulative undergrad.  If you can ace your fourth year as well, that may give you a weighted GPA that unlocks a few schools.

If you happen to be a resident of Quebec or Maritimes,  your cumulative GPA may also be sufficient to apply in those regions.

Study and write the MCAT next summer and see how you do.   A stellar MCAT could unlock a couple other Ontario school applications. 

With minimal EC’s, your application will be pretty bare compared to your competition.  That will be an uphill battle to get an interview.   You may want to start right now with one or two select ECs.  They should be quality over quantity and show true involvement and leadership (not a participant ribbon), so choose wisely.    

Then,  like everyone else here, you hope that one of the schools sees something in your application to give you an interview.

--- It can be done  

Thank you for the thoughtful response.

I was hoping that there might have been an option I overlooked i.e: go and do x-y-z and then apply to these places and you will get in. It is clear to me now that there is no guaranteed path. It comes down to putting in the hard work and giving it my best shot. 

Archived