Premed 101 Forums

1 Year Thesis Masters?

hartk48

Hi everyone,

I've been working with my supervisor for almost two years now. We are working on project that can generate a lot of papers, and he offered to take me for a masters. I think that if I work really hard I could finish it in a year (we just applied for a grant and already have a few ideas for future directions), but the few graduate co-coordinators are telling me its impossible to finish a thesis based masters in a year. Does anyone here know by any chance if there are thesis programs that allow finishing in 1 year? 

I really do not want to take a course based masters

I finished my thesis based master's in 1 year. It's definitely busy, but possible if you have a supportive supervisor that knows your goal to finish in 1 year. I had also done a lot of work before starting that helped things go smoother for my actual thesis. Also, you should check with the department because every program has a minimum amount of time you can be enrolled in your master's to finish - mine was 12 months. 

why don;t you want to take a course based masters?

I don't want to because I know  I can be a first author on a few papers, I rather get paid, I dont want to risk my GPA nor right anymore essays (thesis also sounds more fun and interesting)

I finished my thesis based master's in 1 year. It's definitely busy, but possible if you have a supportive supervisor that knows your goal to finish in 1 year. I had also done a lot of work before starting that helped things go smoother for my actual thesis. Also, you should check with the department because every program has a minimum amount of time you can be enrolled in your master's to finish - mine was 12 months. 

wow, exactly was I was looking for....what program was it I may ask? 

Archived