Premed 101 Forums

Need Some Perspective On My Gpa/extracurriculars

luckyduck24

I get this is kinda "what are my chances" but  I can't help it. I am in my 4th year of university in BC and I would love to get into UBC Med. haven't written my MCAT yet. I have gotten myself into a bit of a predicament. My grades are not very competitive but I do a lot outside of school. I don't know if it is enough to get me in (or at least an interview).

Grades first.

77% I usually get closer to 84% but my 3rd year was not good. I don't have a good upward trend. 

Work.

-Doctor's office as a scanner for 7 years

-Lifeguard 1.5 year

-Paramedic 2 years

-University office assistant 1 year

Volunteering

-Synchronized swimming coach 3 years and Judge 1 year

-Officer St John Ambulance 4 years

-Prevention of alcohol and risk-related trauma in youth (PARTY Program) Presenter 1 year

-Obligatory summer overseas trip building houses

-University Orientation volunteer 2 years

-Canada Winter games official and first aid attendant

I volunteer an average of 6-10 hours per week all year. 

Kinda hoping that it will be enough to get me in but I need some unbiased opinions from people who don't know me. Do your worst

I get this is kinda "what are my chances" but  I can't help it. I am in my 4th year of university in BC and I would love to get into UBC Med. haven't written my MCAT yet. I have gotten myself into a bit of a predicament. My grades are not very competitive but I do a lot outside of school. I don't know if it is enough to get me in (or at least an interview).

Grades first.

77% I usually get closer to 84% but my 3rd year was not good. I don't have a good upward trend. 

Work.

-Lifeguard 1.5 year

-Paramedic 2 years

Volunteering

-Prevention of alcohol and risk-related trauma in youth (PARTY Program) Presenter 1 year

Kinda hoping that it will be enough to get me in but I need some unbiased opinions from people who don't know me. Do your worst

Your GPA is not competitive. You'll need at least another year (if not more) to repair it. 

For a student having done 3 years of undergrad and continuing with your final year, your volunteering is average but your work is above average. Not sure if that will outweigh your GPA. 

Best wishes though, 

- G

Grades first.

Work.

-Lifeguard 1.5 year

-Paramedic 2 years

Volunteering

Hey! 

Keep it up :). Sounds like you got some good volunteering/work experiences! I think that if they were high in hours, you have a good shot! Be realistic with yourself in regards to hours tho. Odds are, 58 hours in a hospital isn't that much of a commitment! 

In terms of GPA, I think you can overcome that. UBC has an adjusted GPA where they drop your worst year if you still have 90 credits after the dropped courses. I'm not sure if you're aware of this.

I know someone with a below average GPA and below average ECs who got an acceptance letter this year! (Below average ECs was based on their NAQ score from previous years and they still reached the threshold that was set for an interview invite obviously)

It's totally possible! You just need to pull up your socks when you need to!

Archived