Premed 101 Forums

Grad School Before Med School... Advice

socialjustice

Hi everyone,

I graduated with a bachelor of science ( with a ~ 3.5 GPA) two years ago.  My mcat  score was a 515, which is a slightly above average score at the med schools that I am applying to.

I applied to med school previously, but I was waitlisted and never made it out of the wait list.   I applied to med school this year as well, but I am not sure if I will get in. As a result, this year I am applying to grad school, and planning to do a masters in science in community rehabilitation studies. I am really excited about my research project, but  I was wondering  how difficult it is to conduct research ? What things should I consider if I choose to do the masters program? Any factors that I should be cognizant of before applying to grad school?

I contacted two professors who are doing research projects in the topic that I am interested in and both of them got back to me, and both of them interviewed me and  are willing to write me the support letter for grad school. How should I pick the professor who I will conduct the research with? What qualities should I be looking for? What factors should I consider?

Thank you

Hi everyone,

I graduated with a bachelor of science ( with a ~ 3.5 GPA) two years ago.  My mcat  score was a 515, which is a slightly above average score at the med schools that I am applying to.

I applied to med school previously, but I was waitlisted and never made it out of the wait list.   I applied to med school this year as well, but I am not sure if I will get in. As a result, this year I am applying to grad school, and planning to do a masters in science in community rehabilitation studies. I am really excited about my research project, but  I was wondering  how difficult it is to conduct research ? What things should I consider if I choose to do the masters program? Any factors that I should be cognizant of before applying to grad school?

I contacted two professors who are doing research projects in the topic that I am interested in and both of them got back to me, and both of them interviewed me and  are willing to write me the support letter for grad school. How should I pick the professor who I will conduct the research with? What qualities should I be looking for? What factors should I consider?

Thank you

The most important thing is if you do a masters degree... expect to finish it...

There's so many that try to leave at the first whiff of a med school acceptance letter... and people wonder why some profs dislike premeds. 

In some situations it may mean you forego applying for a year and apply the year you'll finish your MSc (I also skipped a year and applied after). Some people have the chance to finish their MSc in med school if they are close to completing their thesis defense but otherwise don't count on it. 

Lastly do it because you're interested in research as an MSc alone doesn't help significantly on it's own... it's useful so that you have time to also improve upon your grades, grow up, and respectfully learn from people around you. It's called a MSc, not a M see my CV.

- G

EDIT: I think you had double posted? Try to bump instead of posting multiple times... just helps with cleanliness of the forum. I do agree with the other posters that lab + PI productivity and mentorship potential are big considerations going into a graduate program. Unless the funding is significantly different it's not as much of a priority, especially since your two year commitment is short. 

Archived