Premed 101 Forums

Bc Residency Status

Hello everyone,

I am planning to move to Alberta next month as I got a job there. However, I am a bit unsure whether I'd be able to keep my BC residency status if I move to another province. I'm assuming my BC Services card would no longer be active once I relocate outside BC. Since my plan is to apply to UBC Med next year, will I still be considered an IP applicant if I attended a secondary school in Vancouver? Or do I need to show that I have an active BC Services card to be deemed as an  In province applicant?

Thank you for any input!

You can keep your BC services card for up to two years after moving out of province. You just have to tell MSP that you are out of province temporarily. If you end up being outside of province longer than two years, you have to switch over the Alberta health care, at which point you will not longer be a BC resident. I've tried to find ways around this, but there's no way. If you figure it out let me know! I don't want to have to quit my job next year just so I can move back to BC to maintain residency lol.

Also, its different if you're leaving for school. If you're just going to a diff province for school, you can maintain your BC MSP as long as you are a student. It's just if you leave for any other purpose aside from school, then you have the two year limitation.

You can keep your BC services card for up to two years after moving out of province. You just have to tell MSP that you are out of province temporarily. If you end up being outside of province longer than two years, you have to switch over the Alberta health care, at which point you will not longer be a BC resident. I've tried to find ways around this, but there's no way. If you figure it out let me know! I don't want to have to quit my job next year just so I can move back to BC to maintain residency lol.

Also, its different if you're leaving for school. If you're just going to a diff province for school, you can maintain your BC MSP as long as you are a student. It's just if you leave for any other purpose aside from school, then you have the two year limitation.

Hi,

Thank you for the info. This may sound a stupid question but when you were working there, were you able to use your bc services card while living in Alberta? How did you manage to use their medical services while living there? Thanks again..

Archived