Premed 101 Forums

Hi Everyone! 

I'm currently in BioSci at University of Calgary. This is my first year. I am deciding to go to a university outside of Canada for medical. In Pakistan there is a university : Punjab Medical Colledge. For foreigners, the requirements are to complete high school and have done  SAT 2 Subject tests for some courses. 

I want to go abroad, because the long tie limit to complete medschool here is a concern for me. 

So, I have decided on two options.

1) Apply to to Punjab Medical College since it only takes 5 years to complete medicine there. 

2) If things don't work out there, come back to U of C and continue in the degree of Education instead next year. 

Since this is my first year, I'm still adjusting to the university's workload. I'm scared for my GPA, because I'm doing well in 2 courses, but I have around mid 70s in the other two courses. However, the results for Midterm 2 and finals are not included. 

If the med school abroad doesn't work out. I will most likely have to apply for a change of programs. I talked to some counsellors and they said that they will only look at the GPA for this fall term - but I'm scared that if it does not turn out well than I'll have to spend extra time to boost my GPA. 

However, if I withdraw for this term (I will not get my fees back) now, then they will consider my high school marks, which were above 90's. 

Is it a good idea to withdraw from this term and drop next semester and try for the med school in Pakistan. If things don't work out then I'll continue in Education next year. 

if med school does work out in Pakistan, then after completing it, I want to come back to Canada, I know that getting residency here is difficult but many people still try hard and get it. 

I asked some counsellors if withdrawing from a term would be bad for me. They said that normally, if students drop a term, it is normally a solid reason other than failing. SO she said, it will not impact me a lot.

I'm really confused, so I would really appreciate your guys' suggestions. 

I would appreciate if you could reply fast, because deadline for withdrawing is coming close. 

Hello friend,

If you leave for school and don't match, it could be a large financial deficit. Everyone likes to think they are the anomaly that will match as an IMG, but if you look at the statistics, they aren't very high. Some Canadian grads don't even match... 

If you are struggling with the first semester of first year courses, I think it is possible that you will struggle with the exams that are necessary to match back into Canada.

If you're worried about time, I think this route may actually take more time than you anticipate.

Honestly, I personally wouldn't leave, seeing as I didn't give my program a chance. Don't quit! You can do it! If you quit before you even started, I wonder if you might quit when times get tough again.

Sorry if I come across harsh, but I just think that its too soon to tell. Nothing is certain. If you live life in fear, it can really hinder you. I'm telling you this because you sound a lot like me when I was in first year university.

If you come back and do education, you took a really long time to become a teacher. Much longer than it would to become a doctor. Also, education is competitive too, so you'll have to keep your marks up in medical school. I personally don't think your plan is very feasible. 

Other people have any words of advice?

Hello friend,

If you leave for school and don't match, it could be a large financial deficit. Everyone likes to think they are the anomaly that will match as an IMG, but if you look at the statistics, they aren't very high. Some Canadian grads don't even match... 

If you are struggling with the first semester of first year courses, I think it is possible that you will struggle with the exams that are necessary to match back into Canada.

If you're worried about time, I think this route may actually take more time than you anticipate.

Honestly, I personally wouldn't leave, seeing as I didn't give my program a chance. Don't quit! You can do it! If you quit before you even started, I wonder if you might quit when times get tough again.

Sorry if I come across harsh, but I just think that its too soon to tell. Nothing is certain. If you live life in fear, it can really hinder you. I'm telling you this because you sound a lot like me when I was in first year university.

If you come back and do education, you took a really long time to become a teacher. Much longer than it would to become a doctor. Also, education is competitive too, so you'll have to keep your marks up in medical school. I personally don't think your plan is very feasible. 

Other people have any words of advice?

What I'm thinking of doing is that I apply to med school this year. I will know by summer if I'm accepted or not because I'll give the SAT exams that are in January. I will only travel to Pakistan if I am accepted. Otherwise, next year I will start education. So, I'm not thinking of going to med school there leaving mid way and then doing education. If I do get accepted there then no matter how difficult it is- I will complete it. Another advantage of going there is that my sister already goes there and the fees is much lower compared to the fees here

Your idea of droppiNg out now, relying upon your h.s. grades is the way to go. However, be prepared to have a career as a taxi driver when you return to Canada. While it is theoretically possible for you to return and obtain residency, I think that you are dreaming in technicolor. If you were my young sister or brother, I would tell you that you are crazy to believe that you will be able to walk around all your competition in Canada and come out as a practicing physician in CNada after graduating from a Pakistani medical school.

Sure, the competition for a seatin med school in Canada is fierce. Notwithstanding surface appearances, there are no shortcuts and you have not found the magic pill to jump the system. In my wildest imagination, I don't see It happening as you expect, but hey, it's your. Like and I wish you every success in your future endeavors. BTW, academic success in h.s. Is a totally meaningless indicator of future success in a anything.

If you want to practice medicine in Canada, entry to practice is more direct by remaining here. It is also more certain. This is your first year, so have grace for yourself! It's usually easier to get better grades as you go on, both because classes are curved to higher grades, and you will become more adept as a university level student. It is not uncommon to have poor grades in your first year, and the u of c for example drops your lowest GPA year if you manage to complete a degree at the time of application.

I recommend staying here.

If you want to practice medicine in Pakistan. Then absolutely go there! Why not?

I'm going to assume that you want to work in Canada and not Pakistan. If you think entry to medical school in Canada is tough, try successfully coming back to the country as an IMG. It's the same or worse. Those who return are exceptions, not the rule. The decision shouldn't be made quickly or lightly, especially not as a reaction to poor grades in first year university.

I'm going to assume that you want to work in Canada and not Pakistan. If you think entry to medical school in Canada is tough, try successfully coming back to the country as an IMG. It's the same or worse. Those who return are exceptions, not the rule. The decision shouldn't be made quickly or lightly, especially not as a reaction to poor grades in first year university.

My decision is definitely not based on poor grades. It is because of the long time limit that it takes in Calgary. Where as over there it takes only 5 years. Another major advantage is that the fees is much lowering Pakistan compared to here and that my sister also goes there and is in her 2 year. I would prefer living in Pakistan, because most of my family is there. The only reason I want to return is to pay off my loans. Otherwise I prefer to work in Pakistan because as I mentioned, majority of my family is there. 

Your idea of droppiNg out now, relying upon your h.s. grades is the way to go. However, be prepared to have a career as a taxi driver when you return to Canada. While it is theoretically possible for you to return and obtain residency, I think that you are dreaming in technicolor. If you were my young sister or brother, I would tell you that you are crazy to believe that you will be able to walk around all your competition in Canada and come out as a practicing physician in CNada after graduating from a Pakistani medical school.

Sure, the competition for a seatin med school in Canada is fierce. Notwithstanding surface appearances, there are no shortcuts and you have not found the magic pill to jump the system. In my wildest imagination, I don't see It happening as you expect, but hey, it's your. Like and I wish you every success in your future endeavors. BTW, academic success in h.s. Is a totally meaningless indicator of future success in a anything.

I understand that residency is difficult to get after going back, but at the same time it is not impossible. I know some people who are almost close to getting residency and some who have gotten them and they came from Pakistan. But I completely understand the point that you're trying to get through. 

My decision is definitely not based on poor grades. It is because of the long time limit that it takes in Calgary. Where as over there it takes only 5 years. Another major advantage is that the fees is much lowering Pakistan compared to here and that my sister also goes there and is in her 2 year. I would prefer living in Pakistan, because most of my family is there. The only reason I want to return is to pay off my loans. Otherwise I prefer to work in Pakistan because as I mentioned, majority of my family is there.

I understand that residency is difficult to get after going back, but at the same time it is not impossible. I know some people who are almost close to getting residency and some who have gotten them and they came from Pakistan. But I completely understand the point that you're trying to get through.

As long as you accept and are prepared for the very real possibility that you may not be able to return to Canada to work as a physician, then I think it's completely your decision whether you decide to pursue your education there. Ultimately the pros and cons you see in in your life and career in both places will be the deciding factor.

I'm not sure I completely agree with this. Highly competitive programs like Mac Health Sciences and some Queen's Med school seats are allocated on high school performance. Even entry into Med school doesn't guarantee anything as an above poster mentioned. I would disagree with the statement that future success depends on high school performance though.

Edit: One can roughly view the Quebec CEGEP system as a more rigorous version of senior high school + 1. The majority of competent Quebec physicians pass through this route.

As long as you accept and are prepared for the very real possibility that you may not be able to return to Canada to work as a physician, then I think it's completely your decision whether you decide to pursue your education there. Ultimately the pros and cons you see in in your life and career in both places will be the deciding factor.

I'm not sure I completely agree with this. Highly competitive programs like Mac Health Sciences and some Queen's Med school seats are allocated on high school performance. Even entry into Med school doesn't guarantee anything as an above poster mentioned. I would disagree with the statement that future success depends on high school performance though.

Edit: One can roughly view the Quebec CEGEP system as a more rigorous version of senior high school + 1. The majority of competent Quebec physicians pass through this route.

Thank you for you advice! I really appreciate it! Yes, I am completely aware of the difficulty of attaining residency after coming back. But If I have to work hard in med school than why not work hard some more years to get residency! :D Agin, thank you

Thank you for you advice! I really appreciate it! Yes, I am completely aware of the difficulty of attaining residency after coming back. But If I have to work hard in med school than why not work hard some more years to get residency! :D Agin, thank you

The match rates aren't terrible as an IMG to match back into Canada for residency. But your entire perception will change as to what constitutes an "acceptable match rate" once you're finishing your 5 years of training in Pakistan. You are definitely picking the harder of the 2 roads if you plan to practice as a physician in Canada. It's a shorter path but the harder path, you're no longer competing against premeds but rather medical students around the world, many of whom come from schools that specialize in preparing their students to match back to the US and/or Canada.

Also don't forget that even if you do match, a lot of the dedicated spots for IMGs come with lengthy Return of Service contracts (someone correct me if I'm wrong) so you might be stuck in a rural community for 5 years after completing residency which might be especially hard if you're used to the big cities. I say go for it, if you can see yourself working and living in Pakistan for the remainder of your career. Treat getting a family medicine residency in Canada as a bonus and getting a residency in any other specialty (that is even mildly competitive) as winning the lottery.

Kid seems hardheaded. I say let him go to Pakistan and just wait for his next thread about not matching back here.

I'm asking for helpful advice. If you cannot give a meaningful advice then I would suggest that you save your breath. 

Trust me, I don't give up that easily. Right now I see more pros of going back due to personal reasons (majority of my family is there). 

http://www.carms.ca/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/Table_50_IMGs_by_Region_of_Graduation_English.pdf

http://www.carms.ca/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/Table_2_Summary_of_Match_Results_by_School_of_Graduation_English.pdf

http://www.carms.ca/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/Table_44_IMG_Match_Results_by_Discipline_English.pdf

Here are the numbers, make your own choices. People here have given you good advice. If you can't handle one year of university, consider how you would handle medical school and practice in the future. Better off learning ways to succeed here then running to somewhere else.

http://www.carms.ca/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/Table_50_IMGs_by_Region_of_Graduation_English.pdf

http://www.carms.ca/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/Table_2_Summary_of_Match_Results_by_School_of_Graduation_English.pdf

http://www.carms.ca/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/Table_44_IMG_Match_Results_by_Discipline_English.pdf

Here are the numbers, make your own choices. People here have given you good advice. If you can't handle one year of university, consider how you would handle medical school and practice in the future. Better off learning ways to succeed here then running to somewhere else.

Thanks for you feedback, but as I mentioned earlier, I'm not running away. Read through the thread well before putting a label on me mate. I want to leave because it takes less time there, because the fees is much lower, and because majority of my family lives there. If I want to run away from hard work I can't -- because no matter where I do medicine i hard work is required 

The only reason I'm conscious about my grades is that if I that university doesn't work out then I'll most probably stay here and next year start the Education degree. 

If I apply for change of programs I'll have to drop the next winter term and they will only look at me Fall semester. Withdrawing from this term will allow me to re-apply using my high school marks. But if I continue this semester then they will only use the fall semester's marks and if the GPA turns out to be lower - I'll have to spend extra money and time boost my GPA

What I'm thinking of doing is that I apply to med school this year. I will know by summer if I'm accepted or not because I'll give the SAT exams that are in January. I will only travel to Pakistan if I am accepted. Otherwise, next year I will start education. So, I'm not thinking of going to med school there leaving mid way and then doing education. If I do get accepted there then no matter how difficult it is- I will complete it. Another advantage of going there is that my sister already goes there and the fees is much lower compared to the fees here

What do you mean by "education". Do you mean coming back to Canada to do an undergrad? In biomed or education?

If you go to Pakistan for medical school, most likely you won't be able to come back. The match rate for students coming from schools in Ireland is around 50-60% for Canada. It will be harder coming from Pakistani medical schools, first because Canadian residencies are more likely to take someone who went to a school where the patients communicated in English and with a medical education system closer to Canada's. Second, schools like UBC only take elective students from medical schools in English speaking countries.

I recommend staying, but if you do go to Pakistan, most likely you will stay in Pakistan to work. Maybe you could try the US, but Canada will be very difficult, I would estimate your chance of returning back around 30%. Make sure you know what you are getting into. Either way don't quit UCalgary until you have an acceptance in hand. 

What do you mean by "education". Do you mean coming back to Canada to do an undergrad? In biomed or education?

If you go to Pakistan for medical school, most likely you won't be able to come back. The match rate for students coming from schools in Ireland is around 50-60% for Canada. It will be harder coming from Pakistani medical schools, first because Canadian residencies are more likely to take someone who went to a school where the patients communicated in English and with a medical education system closer to Canada's. Second, schools like UBC only take elective students from medical schools in English speaking countries.

I recommend staying, but if you do go to Pakistan, most likely you will stay in Pakistan to work. Maybe you could try the US, but Canada will be very difficult, I would estimate your chance of returning back around 30%. Make sure you know what you are getting into. Either way don't quit UCalgary until you have an acceptance in hand. 

Ok, thank you so much!

Thanks for you feedback, but as I mentioned earlier, I'm not running away. Read through the thread well before putting a label on me mate. I want to leave because it takes less time there, because the fees is much lower, and because majority of my family lives there. If I want to run away from hard work I can't -- because no matter where I do medicine i hard work is required 

The only reason I'm conscious about my grades is that if I that university doesn't work out then I'll most probably stay here and next year start the Education degree. 

If I apply for change of programs I'll have to drop the next winter term and they will only look at me Fall semester. Withdrawing from this term will allow me to re-apply using my high school marks. But if I continue this semester then they will only use the fall semester's marks and if the GPA turns out to be lower - I'll have to spend extra money and time boost my GPA

Regardless of whether you mean it or not, It does sound like you're running away by taking the easier way out to getting into a medical school. I agree with robclem21's points completely and he/she presents good information.

Furthermore, I'm confused by your pros...

1) money.... unless you are struggling to make ends meet, you can take out sufficient loans in Canada to finish your degree... it'll be hard work (a word you seem to love throwing out lightly, but I'm not sure you understand what that actually means), but eventually you will be able to pay it back (like the rest of us in the future). 

2) time... you're just in first year... do you realize how many people take 4+ years to get into medical school... more importantly, how the years during undergrad/grad school is important for personal growth... why sacrifice that just to seemingly get into medical school earlier? There's also the assumption that you will match back... what's saving a few years now compared to the risk of not coming back as a doctor? Have you considered that? 

3) family... are you really homesick? being closer to family isn't always a reason for deciding medical school location unless you're tied down (like married + having children... and even then people make it work)

I'm still confused about your argument for time... have you thought hard about what you wanted to do for the rest of your life? How do you know that you want to be a doctor through and through? What's the rush? And like InstantRamen said.... if you're struggling now in your first year course work + exams, you'll struggle with board exams (that is until you figure out your weaknesses and work on it.)

I also can't tell from your string of replies that you truly comprehend how difficult it is for an IMG to come back to Canada to practice medicine... in most scenarios you won't even be able to apply for the first iteration of CaRMS, you'll be waiting for the leftover positions in places you may never expect or want to practice. You're also making a lot of assumptions that you'll match... you need to be even more stand out as an IMG... what about the horror stories of people that can't match? Are you ready to shoulder that burden and risk by the deadline you imposed on yourself? I have my doubts but maybe you'll prove me wrong. 

- G

I'm asking for helpful advice. If you cannot give a meaningful advice then I would suggest that you save your breath. 

Trust me, I don't give up that easily. Right now I see more pros of going back due to personal reasons (majority of my family is there). 

Not sure how much more meaningful advice you need, but it seems like every other month there is a post on here about someone wanting to go to the UK, India or elsewhere so they can skip undergrad and every time they get the same advice. The reality is that if you go there is a good chance that you will never be able to come back to Canada and work and I don't think you really understand how difficult matching actually is as an IMG (its harder then getting into a Canadian medical school lol). But if you have no hesitations about staying in Pakistan forever then go for it just dont expect to come back 

Family is a good reason to choose a medical school. I think medicine will be some of the best years of your life, but also some of the worst. Having that support system around you is going to be really helpful if you are ever in times of crisis.

I got accepted into two medical schools this year and chose the school that I had the most amount of emotional support in. Even though I chose one that is subjectively less competitive, I'm very happy with my decision!

As for your financial situation, I don't know what your situation is specifically, so I won't comment. Finances are a touchy subject and everyone handles their money differently. I feel like that is awkward to comment on. So if money is a factor, then maybe it is something to consider.

But also consider the fact that it may be expensive to match back to Canada. You may be at a deficit that may affect your annual salary... (What if you don't match the first time. What if you have other expenses to pay. Will you be moving to Canada with a family? What occupation will you be working in until you are a fully licensed doctor in Canada?)

I know of a married pair of doctors who immigrated to Canada and were trained in competitive specialties. They were in a stressful financial situation for around a decade before they were able to be fully licensed. They are now practicing in rural communities as family physicians). Obviously this is anecdotal, but I think it reflects a possible reality you may face. Also, there is a possibility that an alternative outcome may have happened where they may not have been able to get fully licensed... They were strongly considering other jobs outside of medicine.

Just be sure that you aren't just making excuses for leaving! Even now (no one is perfect! I'm working on it!), I find myself justifying some decisions by making excuses. 

And like InstantRamen said.... if you're struggling now in your first year course work + exams, you'll struggle with board exams (that is until you figure out your weaknesses and work on it.)

Also, I'd like to mention that I never said that "OP will struggle with board exams". I said it was a possibility. I wouldn't say something with such conviction when the exams are so far into the future. Strong language is very presumptuous when we barely know OP at all. 

That being said, just understand and be aware that there is a possibility (maybe a large one, even) that you may not practice in Canada. As long as you understand this and are at peace with that potential outcome, I think it is up to you!

Good luck, friend! 

Regardless of whether you mean it or not, It does sound like you're running away by taking the easier way out to getting into a medical school. I agree with robclem21's points completely and he/she presents good information.

Furthermore, I'm confused by your pros...

1) money.... unless you are struggling to make ends meet, you can take out sufficient loans in Canada to finish your degree... it'll be hard work (a word you seem to love throwing out lightly, but I'm not sure you understand what that actually means), but eventually you will be able to pay it back (like the rest of us in the future). 

2) time... you're just in first year... do you realize how many people take 4+ years to get into medical school... more importantly, how the years during undergrad/grad school is important for personal growth... why sacrifice that just to seemingly get into medical school earlier? There's also the assumption that you will match back... what's saving a few years now compared to the risk of not coming back as a doctor? Have you considered that? 

3) family... are you really homesick? being closer to family isn't always a reason for deciding medical school location unless you're tied down (like married + having children... and even then people make it work)

I'm still confused about your argument for time... have you thought hard about what you wanted to do for the rest of your life? How do you know that you want to be a doctor through and through? What's the rush? And like InstantRamen said.... if you're struggling now in your first year course work + exams, you'll struggle with board exams (that is until you figure out your weaknesses and work on it.)

I also can't tell from your string of replies that you truly comprehend how difficult it is for an IMG to come back to Canada to practice medicine... in most scenarios you won't even be able to apply for the first iteration of CaRMS, you'll be waiting for the leftover positions in places you may never expect or want to practice. You're also making a lot of assumptions that you'll match... you need to be even more stand out as an IMG... what about the horror stories of people that can't match? Are you ready to shoulder that burden and risk by the deadline you imposed on yourself? I have my doubts but maybe you'll prove me wrong. 

- G

You can apply to first iteration as an IMG, there are IMG dedicated spots and those are the vast majority of spots that are available. In Alberta, you need to live there for a period of time before applying and in Quebec you have to go through an evaluation process but after that you can apply in their general stream. 

You can apply to first iteration as an IMG, there are IMG dedicated spots and those are the vast majority of spots that are available. In Alberta, you need to live there for a period of time before applying and in Quebec you have to go through an evaluation process but after that you can apply in their general stream. 

Unless you also have really good French, I wouldn't suggest the Quebec route.  McGill only accepts Saudi IMGs from what I understand.  Conversational French can be improved - but really being able to function completely in a French environment takes much longer (reading, writing, conversation, etc..).  In fact, it's one of the reasons why there are few non-Quebecer CMG physicians  practicing in Quebec.  For most IMGs (non-francophone), the US is a much more solid route.  

From my limited experience of what I've experienced - developing full proficiency in a new language (depending on initial fluency) > MLE > MCAT.  But, that's only my opinion!    

Family is a good reason to choose a medical school. I think medicine will be some of the best years of your life, but also some of the worst. Having that support system around you is going to be really helpful if you are ever in times of crisis.

I got accepted into two medical schools this year and chose the school that I had the most amount of emotional support in. Even though I chose one that is subjectively less competitive, I'm very happy with my decision!

As for your financial situation, I don't know what your situation is specifically, so I won't comment. Finances are a touchy subject and everyone handles their money differently. I feel like that is awkward to comment on. So if money is a factor, then maybe it is something to consider.

But also consider the fact that it may be expensive to match back to Canada. You may be at a deficit that may affect your annual salary... (What if you don't match the first time. What if you have other expenses to pay. Will you be moving to Canada with a family? What occupation will you be working in until you are a fully licensed doctor in Canada?)

I know of a married pair of doctors who immigrated to Canada and were trained in competitive specialties. They were in a stressful financial situation for around a decade before they were able to be fully licensed. They are now practicing in rural communities as family physicians). Obviously this is anecdotal, but I think it reflects a possible reality you may face. Also, there is a possibility that an alternative outcome may have happened where they may not have been able to get fully licensed... They were strongly considering other jobs outside of medicine.

Just be sure that you aren't just making excuses for leaving! Even now (no one is perfect! I'm working on it!), I find myself justifying some decisions by making excuses. 

Also, I'd like to mention that I never said that "OP will struggle with board exams". I said it was a possibility. I wouldn't say something with such conviction when the exams are so far into the future. Strong language is very presumptuous when we barely know OP at all. 

That being said, just understand and be aware that there is a possibility (maybe a large one, even) that you may not practice in Canada. As long as you understand this and are at peace with that possible outcome, I think it is up to you!

Good luck, friend! 

Thank you so much for giving a good advice! It was really helpful I'll definitely consider this! :D

Archived