Premed 101 Forums

How To Do Well On The Mmis?

Hi everyone,

I interviewed at U of A two years ago, and  I scored slightly below average. I can't remember what I got exactly, but it was 1-2 points below the accepted students average. I think I performed below average because I believe I appeared nervous when I was talking and I did not have enough experiences.  I also believe I was talking fast and I missed few points in each scenario.

How can I put my best foot forward during the interviews? How can I do well on the MMIs?

You won't believe me, but here goes. Moreover, based upon your thread, you have nothing to lose and everything to gain.

Firstly, treat the MMI as a practice session in which you are meant to have fun! Treat the examiner as an inquisitive, highly intelligent 12 year old to whom you are seeking to explain something! Keep eye contact, be personable, and be your ethical, problem solving self. And read the pinned thread on Interviews by future_doc in the Medical Interviews Forum, it is all there.

I prepared for the MMI my entire life, i.e., the cumulative experiences of my lifetime had prepared me. I had encountered numerous very difficult and challenging experiences with people in my work, volunteering and internships. Each of these situations were unique and unforeseeavle. Therefore, I was ready and prepared for anything they could throw at me in the MMI. As a result, I did not prepare per se.

I hope this helps.

You won't believe me, but here goes. Moreover, based upon your thread, you have nothing to lose and everything to gain.

Firstly, treat the MMI as a practice session in which you are meant to have fun! Treat the examiner as an inquisitive, highly intelligent 12 year old to whom you are seeking to explain something! Keep eye contact, be personable, and be your ethical, problem solving self. And read the pinned thread on Interviews by future_doc in the Medical Interviews Forum, it is all there.

I prepared for the MMI my entire life, i.e., the cumulative experiences of my lifetime had prepared me. I had encountered numerous very difficult and challenging experiences with people in my work, volunteering and internships. Each of these situations were unique and unforeseeavle. Therefore, I was ready and prepared for anything they could throw at me in the MMI. As a result, I did not prepare per se.

I hope this helps.

I agree with this.... on top of preparing by practicing, reading, and learning, you also gain a lot through observing and reflecting on experiences you gain throughout your life. 

I made a post last year on this topic ... http://forums.premed101.com/index.php?/topic/86211-is-it-too-early-to-prepare-for-interviews/#entry959565

Good luck, 

- G

Archived