Premed 101 Forums

Hi,

I'm in my 4th year at UofT and am about to graduate with a gpa that's not competitive for dentistry schools. I became interested in a career in dentistry during the end of my 3rd year but by that time it was really difficult to pull my gpa up :(. I've always wanted a career in health and I like hands on work, so dentistry works perfectly. The thing is, I dont know what to do at this point because my gpa (2.8) is going to prevent me from getting accepted anywhere. I don't want to give up and can't give up because my parents went through a lot for us to come to Canada and have put all their trust in us doing well. So, I have to find a way. 

For the moment, I'm considering doing a masters degree, but I dont know much about that path. Can I get a masters in any field, for example, in undergrad my highest courses were in Near and Middle Eastern history or would I have to get a masters in biology or similar to allow me to increase my science gpa? I'm also considering getting a second degree, however, I know this path is risky because even after 4 more years, there's a chance I might not get in. So, I'm considering getting a second degree that would leave me with good work options after graduating so if I dont get in after applying to dentistry schools then, I won't be out of work. 

Lastly, it would be more than amazing if someone would be willing to mentor me or provide guidance. Since I'd like to eventual go to UofT's dentistry school (fingers-crossed!!) it would be great if a UofT dentistry student can help out, but I'd definitely appreciate help from students in other dentistry schools as well!

Any help would be appreciated!!!

Thanks!!

Hi,

I'm in my 4th year at UofT and am about to graduate with a gpa that's not competitive for dentistry schools. I became interested in a career in dentistry during the end of my 3rd year but by that time it was really difficult to pull my gpa up :(. I've always wanted a career in health and I like hands on work, so dentistry works perfectly. The thing is, I dont know what to do at this point because my gpa (2.8) is going to prevent me from getting accepted anywhere. I don't want to give up and can't give up because my parents went through a lot for us to come to Canada and have put all their trust in us doing well. So, I have to find a way. 

For the moment, I'm considering doing a masters degree, but I dont know much about that path. Can I get a masters in any field, for example, in undergrad my highest courses were in Near and Middle Eastern history or would I have to get a masters in biology or similar to allow me to increase my science gpa? I'm also considering getting a second degree, however, I know this path is risky because even after 4 more years, there's a chance I might not get in. So, I'm considering getting a second degree that would leave me with good work options after graduating so if I dont get in after applying to dentistry schools then, I won't be out of work. 

Lastly, it would be more than amazing if someone would be willing to mentor me or provide guidance. Since I'd like to eventual go to UofT's dentistry school (fingers-crossed!!) it would be great if a UofT dentistry student can help out, but I'd definitely appreciate help from students in other dentistry schools as well!

Any help would be appreciated!!!

Thanks!!

Not trying to discourage you, but first you need to first figure out why your GPA is low. Doing a second undergrad without knowing why your getting low marks is not a good idea. Also, there are other careers in healthcare that involve hands-on work...look into it by doing research and it may be a better option than spending time trying to do a second degree in hopes of going into dental school. 

As for doing a masters, you can do a masters in anything (not necessarily biology). Look into a field that interests you otherwise you'll be a stuck in a program in which you don't like. 

I want to preface this by saying that I'm not in dental school yet I'm just an applicant in my 4th year. 

you can get a masters, but I don't think its going to help much since it has no effect on your undergrad GPA and from what I understand it at only gives you a slight advantage in the selection process. You can try applying to UWO since they only look at your 2 best years, so assuming you can finish this year off with an 86+ as well as completing a 5th year with equivalent stats and kill the dat (AA 24+) I think then you might have a decent shot. But as far as UofT is concerned your really out of the running, this isn't just my opinion, you need a minimum of a 3.0 just for your application to be reviewed and the average for interviewed students is about a 3.85 (source: https://www.dentistry.utoronto.ca/admissions/doctor-dental-surgery-dds/academic-requirements). I usually tell people to think internationally (ie Australia, Ireland and the US) where the competition is easier but a 2.8 really is just quite too low for that. I can't comment on the merits of a second bachelors I've never looked into it, but it might not be a bad option for someone in your situation, I know it is more common for med school applicants then it is for dents. But you have plenty of time to think about it since the applications closed yesterday (dec 1st). I know someone else made a similar post a couple of days ago and some regulars on this forum commented on it incase you want another opinion.  

This is a really unfortunate situation. As you clearly know dental school admission is very GPA driven and 2.8 just isn't gonna cut it anywhere. I'm guessing that your best bet would be to start fresh with a new degree (I'm saying this because I don't believe you'll be able to pull your current GPA up to a competitive level at this point, even with a master's degree.) I would say the real issue that you need to deal with first is to find out why you're in the situation you're in. Since you've always wanted a career in health care, you would have known that good grades are very important for admission into any of these programs. So I'm assuming you didn't get the grades you got because you were just "winging it". Identify what's been holding you back and deal with it, then choose the path you think best to dental school. Your school might have some student services available to help you study more efficiently if that's the problem. As a dental student myself, I don't really know what advice me or any other dental student could give you (at this point) other than "get good grades"

Best of luck! 

Thanks for all the advice, I guess getting a masters wouldn't help me out in this case, it seems that getting a second degree is the only option left. Thanks again!

As stated above - investing 4 more years in another degree just for the sake of a degree and higher gpa is not very strategic - the likelihood of going from a 2.8 to anything near competitive for any dentistry program seems highly unlikely. If employability is the real goal - why not look into 2 year practical certificate options - many exist in the health care field that may actually appeal to you - doesn't sound like you've looked deeply enough into these other alternatives

As stated above - investing 4 more years in another degree just for the sake of a degree and higher gpa is not very strategic - the likelihood of going from a 2.8 to anything near competitive for any dentistry program seems highly unlikely. If employability is the real goal - why not look into 2 year practical certificate options - many exist in the health care field that may actually appeal to you - doesn't sound like you've looked deeply enough into these other alternatives

Don't listen to this. If dentistry is what you want, work your *** off and go for it. My first two years of undergrad I messed around too much and had <3.0 GPAs. After I really started focusing and trying my best I had a 3.89, 4.0, and 3.99 over my last three years, averaging 91% over all 3. You can do it. Just commit yourself 100% to it and never give up.

• 2 weeks later...

I am aware that you need very good grades for most careers in health care but I went through some circumstances that are now over, so I will try for a second shot at it. I mean understanding the material isnt the reason for the low GPA, its just the lack of motivation/direction that those circumstances put me in. 

I considered other careers in health, including the PA program, but dentistry is the most promising option in the long term.

Don't listen to this. If dentistry is what you want, work your *** off and go for it. My first two years of undergrad I messed around too much and had <3.0 GPAs. After I really started focusing and trying my best I had a 3.89, 4.0, and 3.99 over my last three years, averaging 91% over all 3. You can do it. Just commit yourself 100% to it and never give up

thanks! I dont plan on giving up

One piece of advice, don't do your second degree at UofT. Go to Ryerson or York where you can get 4.0/A+ easier

Yah, I plan on going to Ryerson 

Archived