Premed 101 Forums

ignore

threeescore

Hi threeescore,

Sorry to hear that you've been struggling. You've clearly had some difficulties recently.

I'm a past BHSc graduate and currently in med school. I can understand the pressures of getting into med school especially in a program where a lot of people are very focused on getting in. 

Stacey and the other BHSc office staff are great, so it's good that you sought them out when you needed to.

If you want someone to talk to feel free to private message me here or to talk on Facebook.

Yeah and my performance seems to be in stark contrast to all other BHSc students which is why I was so concerned. At first I thought it was normal to struggle but then I heard about everyone else's marks and realized that there's something wrong with me

I think she's telling you to try different things.

Speaking as someone who has worked in over a dozen different industries, it's impossible for you to know what you would enjoy without trying things.

I think you should take the pressure of doing post-grad work out of the equation. Look at other careers, other opportunities.

Either you will find something you enjoy or you will mature along the way and identify what it is that's holding you back academically.

Whatever it is, you are definitely not in the headspace to be going back to school.

I would definitely look into some psychological and/or occupational therapy to figure out what it is in your head that is acting as a barrier.

Yeah I've just never heard of anyone doing well academically and enjoying school/science from a philosophical point of view and then doing as terribly as I'm doing. I think I have the potential to do well in school though, I just haven't felt like myself lately especially considering that BHSc is known for not being particularly hard 

Yeah and my performance seems to be in stark contrast to all other BHSc students which is why I was so concerned. At first I thought it was normal to struggle but then I heard about everyone else's marks and realized that there's something wrong with me

Keep in mind that it's the people who get good grades that talk about their marks. It's what contributes to the sometimes toxic atmosphere of the program. Many people struggle in BHSc (some with grades, others for different reasons).

I am friends with people who didn't do well in BHSc courses and had to take time off due to mental health, illness, or questioning if the program is for them. The time off did all of them a lot of good. Just know that even though you might feel like you aren't succeeding now, your break will give you time to reflect and think about what you want from life - whether that's in BHSc or elsewhere. If medicine is still your goal, I still have faith that you can accomplish it.

Keep in mind that it's the people who get good grades that talk about their marks. It's what contributes to the sometimes toxic atmosphere of the program. Many people struggle in BHSc (some with grades, others for different reasons).

I am friends with people who didn't do well in BHSc courses and had to take time off due to mental health, illness, or questioning if the program is for them. The time off did all of them a lot of good. Just know that even though you might feel like you aren't succeeding now, your break will give you time to reflect and think about what you want from life - whether that's in BHSc or elsewhere. If medicine is still your goal, I still have faith that you can accomplish it.

But would you say that my marks, being far below average, indicate a problem that's deeper than not studying properly? Or can not studying properly lead to marks this low?

Hi OP,

I have been in a similar situation in the past. There was one year in my university career where I had a GPA below 1.00, although I was an honours student all my life and received 4.00 GPA in the past.  I believe this incidence did not affect my med schools applications significantly, I still received interviews from my first trials.  

I think taking few months off is great because it would allow you to build your mental resilience. Few years ago, I was going through a hard time, and I failed to recognize my limits. I decided to continue on with school,  although I was not feeling well emotionally nor had a supportive environment. It resulted in me failing several courses, which further exacerbated my situation. 

Taking the time time to solve your problems will allow you to focus on your school work when you start school again next year.  In terms of school success, I really believe that having a regular studying schedule, work/life balance, and boundaries in relationships is really important.  I made sure I studied everyday for 2-3 hours, I read the assigned reading before class, and made sure that I communicated with my professors regularly.  I reviewed the material 2-3 times before each exam. Following this routine allowed me to get an A+ in most of my classes. 

Best of Luck

Hi OP,

I have been in a similar situation in the past. There was one year in my university career where I had a GPA below 1.00, although I was an honours student all my life and received 4.00 GPA in the past.  I believe this incidence did not affect my med schools applications significantly, I still received interviews from my first trials.  

I think taking few months off is great because it would allow you to build your mental resilience. Few years ago, I was going through a hard time, and I failed to recognize my limits. I decided to continue on with school,  although I was not feeling well emotionally nor had a supportive environment. It resulted in me failing several courses, which further exacerbated my situation. 

Taking the time time to solve your problems will allow you to focus on your school work when you start school again next year.  In terms of school success, I really believe that having a regular studying schedule, work/life balance, and boundaries in relationships is really important.  I made sure I studied everyday for 2-3 hours, I read the assigned reading before class, and made sure that I communicated with my professors regularly.  I reviewed the material 2-3 times before each exam. Following this routine allowed me to get an A+ in most of my classes. 

Best of Luck

Did you get into med school?

Archived