Premed 101 Forums

Ot/pt Accepted/waitlisted/rejected 2017

Applied: Queen's, McMaster, Western, UofA (all OT)
Accepted: McMaster, Western, UofA
Waitlisted:
Rejected: Queen's
GPA: cGPA: 3.42 & sGPA: 3.78

I will likely be accepting at McMaster or Western! (Just have to decide which of self-directed or instructor-directed learning will be most beneficial to me!)

After getting three rejections in 2016, it is such a great feeling to have been accepted this year!

-- For those of you who may not have received the news you wanted, don't give up! I took a few extra courses last fall to boost my grades and the lighter workload also allowed me to continue to work on professional development in rehab-based volunteer positions. It feels incredibly disappointing to get rejection letters, but use them as your motivation to continue to pursue your dreams! --

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Applied: Queen's PT

Accepted:

GPA: 3.68

Feeling pretty devastated. Not sure how I went wrong with 500+ physio hours in 2 clinics and pediatric PT at the hospital, a volunteer trip abroad, two times volunteering at a summer camp for kids with cancer, and framing my personal statement around health care delivery challenges in the north and how PT is part of the circle of care. One of my references was from a PT at the hospital and the other was the director of my faculty who also supervised my thesis. If anyone could give any insight on where I could improve, that would be awesome because I'm really unsure of how to proceed for next year. (Aside: I took winter classes so my GPA will be a 3.72 next cycle). 

Congrats to all that got in, all of us know how much work each of us has put in to get to this point.

Applied: Queen's

Accepted:

Feeling pretty devastated. Not sure how I went wrong with 500+ physio hours in 2 clinics and pediatric PT at the hospital, a volunteer trip abroad, two times volunteering at a summer camp for kids with cancer, and framing my personal statement around health care delivery challenges in the north and how PT is part of the circle of care. One of my references was from a PT at the hospital and the other was the director of my faculty who also supervised my thesis. If anyone could give any insight on where I could improve, that would be awesome because I'm really unsure of how to proceed for next year. (Aside: I took winter classes so my GPA will be a 3.72 next cycle).

Congrats to all that got in, all of us know how much work each of us has put in to get to this point.

It sounds like you did everything you could. The thing I've found so frustrating about this process is that there's no obvious rhyme or reason. I was rejected from schools I thought I had the best chance at and got accepted by schools I had written off as not considering me. One thing I heard about Queens is that they appreciate persistence. And you can call and they will tell you what they want to see on an application (how to make yours better next year). I know several people rejected from queens the first time and then accepted their 2nd time applying after getting feedback on their application. Good for you for upgrading your gpa! Your experience sounds so relevant so I'm wondering if it was your gpa that held you back as in the email from queens they said that their cutoff was somewhere near 3.68 I think... and that it was subject to change :( I'm sorry if that was the case! Anyway, I hope you find strength to stay steady on the path you're on (you sound very motivated and committed). I'll be starting queens pt this fall so hopefully I will see you as a first year next year!

Applied: Mac, UofT, Western, Queen's (All PT)
Accepted: UofT, Western, Queen's
Waitlisted:
Rejected:Mac (felt like I bombed the MMI so no surprises here)
GPA: sub GPA - 3.84 cum GPA - 3.64
Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references: I felt like my essays were very strong. I graduated from the co-op program at UWaterloo and had lots of relevant experiences to draw on. Had two very strong PT references from PT's that owned their own clinic, and a reference from a top upper extremity research professor.

Applied: McMaster, UofT (OT)

Accepted: McMaster

Waitlisted: UofT

Rejected:

GPA: 3.76

Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references: I did NOT feel awesome about my MMI interview. I knew that 3.76 was towards the bottom of the GPA scale for all of the interviewees and so I figured I would have had to knock my interview out of the park to get in. I guess I did but I didn't feel great afterwards.. I felt really good about my essays, but I didn't know my references THAT well so I was worried about what they had submitted. I came from a large undergrad school and it was hard getting to know profs well enough to ask them to write a reference for you. I also had a typo in one of my essays which I want to say didn't cause me to be wait listed but you never know lol. I am so happy to be joining the Mac OT class of 2019!! Is there a FB group yet? I am so excited to meet you all :).

In terms of waitlist, last year Mac and Toronto turned over large portions of there programs (I don't know about Western & Queens). Many of the same students get accepted to multiple programs so generally there is a fair bit of movement on wait lists.

Did anyone with a 3.7+ actually get rejected from Western OT? Or do they place everyone with a 3.7+ on the "waitlist?"

I have a 3.6x cGPA and I got accepted for Western OT.  

Also got in for UofT, but oddly enough, rejected from Queens!  :P

Applied: Western, McMaster, UofT (all OT)

Accepted: McMaster, UofT

Waitlisted: Western

sGPA: 3.72 (ugh- I hate how they take your second year)

I have accepted my offer to McMaster so  UofT will have a position open. Congrats to everyone who got in, and good luck to those who are waitlisted.

I wanted to post to show future applicants that you can get in even if your GPA is not super strong. I was originally waitlisted for McMaster interview but fortunately was able to get off the waitlist and nail the interview. As for UofT, I feel my package as a whole was strong, I went to the career centre at my school to review my resume, essay and personal submission. My best advice to future applicants is to really use the resources available at your school! 

Rejected:

Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references: I did NOT feel awesome about my MMI interview. I knew that 3.76 was towards the bottom of the GPA scale for all of the interviewees and so I figured I would have had to knock my interview out of the park to get in. I guess I did but I didn't feel great afterwards.. I felt really good about my essays, but I didn't know my references THAT well so I was worried about what they had submitted. I came from a large undergrad school and it was hard getting to know profs well enough to ask them to write a reference for you. I also had a typo in one of my essays which I want to say didn't cause me to be wait listed but you never know lol. I am so happy to be joining the Mac OT class of 2019!! Is there a FB group yet? I am so excited to meet you all :).

Hello future McMaster OT student, I will be joining you in September. I can't wait to meet you! :D.

Rejected:

I also accepted my offer to Mac OT, is there a FB group yet? :) 

If not, we should start one.

Hi!

2 questions!

1) I saw on this thread that the entrance Scholarships were sent in an email already. Was that for all the schools? Does anyone know how I would be able to find out if my acceptance came with a scholarship?

2) For those of you who received multiple offers, can you share a little bit how you are making your decision? I got accepted to U of T, Western, and Queens. Im very torn and I don't know where to start in terms of making a decision.  

Applied: UBC, UofT, Queen's (all OT)

Accepted: UofT and Queen's

Rejected: UBC (after interview)

UBC average: 89%

sGPA: 3.92 (cGPA not calculated but would be the same or higher)

Both programs look amazing but I'm pretty sure I'll be accepting UofT! I'm a city girl at heart :)

Hit up the "Accepted 2017" thread for U of T, myself and a fellow U of T Student answered a bunch of Qs in-depth.

Applied: U of T, McMaster, Western and Queens (all OT)
Accepted: U of T and Queens
Waitlisted: Western
Rejected: McMaster
GPA: sub - 3.73 cum - 3.63

Deciding between U of T and Queens and having a tough time!! Any advice

Applied: PT: Queens, Western. OT: Queens, Western, Toronto, McMaster

Accepted: Queens PT, Queens OT, Western OT, Toronto OT
Waitlisted: Western PT
Rejected: McMaster OT (I thought I bombed the MMI so makes sense)
GPA: 3.48 cGPA, 3.79 sGPA

Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references:

I felt very confident in my application. Really got down the scopes of each practice and how I have the experience/skills necessary to do well. 

References were probably good (turned out well in my acceptances so #bless) 

I will be accepting Queens PT, so the waitlist will definitely go down for the other school's programs :)

Applied: Queen's, McMaster, Western, UofA (all OT)

Accepted: McMaster, Western, UofA

Waitlisted:

GPA: cGPA: 3.42 & sGPA: 3.78

I will likely be accepting at McMaster or Western! (Just have to decide which of self-directed or instructor-directed learning will be most beneficial to me!)

After getting three rejections in 2016, it is such a great feeling to have been accepted this year!

-- For those of you who may not have received the news you wanted, don't give up! I took a few extra courses last fall to boost my grades and the lighter workload also allowed me to continue to work on professional development in rehab-based volunteer positions. It feels incredibly disappointing to get rejection letters, but use them as your motivation to continue to pursue your dreams! --

Accepted my offer to Western today! McMaster and U of A waitlist spot should open up! Good luck everyone!

Accepted:

I'm not sure how on earth they could've overlooked such a qualified applicant but as long as you follow up with them then I have no doubt you'll get in next year.

Accepted:
Waitlisted: Queen's PT #46
Rejected:
GPA: cumGPA: 3.00, subGPA: 3.71

Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references:

-Graduated in 2012, have been working / volunteering since and taking a few courses to bump GPA

-Placement at a sports medicine clinic, then hired as part-time kinesiologist (approx. 500 hours)

-Volunteered at physiotherapy clinic (approx. 140 hours)

-Volunteered at another sports medicine clinic as well as a chiropractic clinic (approx. 20 hours each place)

-Personal trainer at GoodLife Fitness for 2.5 years. Running my own personal training business for past 11 months (approx. 3,500 hours total). Worked with high performance athletes, differently abled persons, elderly, pre- and post-natal women, etc.

-Worked with differently abled persons from Variety Village, at university during undergrad. 25 hours of creating inclusive exercises and games.

-Coached adolescent soccer for 2 years - certified NCCP Coaching Level 1

-Did some research during one semester (focusing on ergogenic aids in high performance sport)

-References from PT and a prof from undergrad (taught an ergonomics course that I did really well in)

I'm quite shocked right now to be honest. I was hoping on getting in, but now finding myself towards the end of the waitlist. I thought my written responses were strong. They were edited by a friend who recently graduated from the Queen's PT program. I thought my references were strong too (I didn't read them however).. Maybe my academic reference could've been better?

Anyone know if there's a chance at #46? Also, is a 3.71 sGPA competitive enough to apply to UofT / Mac / Western PT (for next cycle)?

Lastly, if it doesn't work out this cycle, can anyone provide some feedback on improving for next year? Perhaps, I was thinking:

-More research?

-Volunteer at a hospital?

-More volunteer with individuals of disabilities?

-Different references?

-I can't really improve my sub-GPA much at this point, because the only B's fall in the middle of my most recent 20 half courses...

Applied: Dal PT, McGill PT, Queens PT&OT, Western PT&OT, UofT OT, McMaster PT

Accepted: UofT OT and Queens PT

Waitlisted: Western OT

Rejected: Dal PT, Western PT, McMaster PT

GPA: 3.71 sGPA (Lower than a lot of people on these forums, so I hope my results can give some individuals with similar grades some hope!)

I had my McGill interview on May 16th and I have not received anything from Queens OT yet.

I will likely be accepting my offer to Queens PT!! Very excited. 

Applied: Queen's PT, Western PT

Accepted: Queen's PT

Waitlisted:

Rejected: Western PT

GPA: cGPA = 3.42, sGPA = 3.72

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

You two have similar sGPA's to mine. As mentioned in my post above, I have quite a bit experience, thought my written responses were great, and strong references.. Yet I find myself quite far on the waitlist. If you don't mind me asking, could you both share your experiences? Did you think your references and written responses were very strong going into the application?

Accepted:

I'm with you on this.. I'm pretty devastated as well. Seems like we both have a lot of experiences. Maybe the particular individuals that read our written responses didn't care for them? I'm guessing an admissions committee has a rubric to go by, but how our actual applications are graded can vary from person to person (ie. Like a team of TA's marking a midterm essay - there's variance btw each marker). We're both on the lower GPA side, but for a school that puts a lot of emphasis on experience once meeting the GPA cut-off, I feel like we were both strong applicants. The sGPA cut-off this year was 3.68, so you should've made that. Do you know what your cGPA is? They have a cut-off for that too, which was 2.89 if I recall correctly.

You two have similar sGPA's to mine. As mentioned in my post above, I have quite a bit experience, thought my written responses were great, and strong references.. Yet I find myself quite far on the waitlist. If you don't mind me asking, could you both share your experiences? Did you think your references and written responses were very strong going into the application?

For my experience, I have had about 500 hours volunteering/shadowing in a private clinic , ~60 hours shadowing in a hospital setting (covering everything from pediatrics to geriatrics), an entire summer working with a neurorehabilitation program, a year of working one on one with an individual with a spinal cord injury, and much more community involvement.

I think my references were very good. One was just a professor that I kind of knew but I done very well in the courses I done with them, and another was a physio I shadowed that has written references for others that have gotten into Ontario schools as well.

Originally, I did not think my written responses were great but after reading them a couple of times over the Winter and getting others to read them, I think they were very well written.

Archived