Premed 101 Forums

Ot/pt Accepted/waitlisted/rejected 2017

Applied: Queen's PT, Western PT, McMaster PT

Accepted:

Waitlisted:

Rejected:

GPA: cGPA = 3.69, sGPA = 3.91

Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references:

200+ hours as Athletic Therapist Intern with Professional Athletes with Therapist who wrote amazing reference letter

500+ hours as Strength and Conditioning Coach and Personal Trainer with all populations at performance center

50 hours as a research assistant with prof who also wrote my reference letter

200+ hours as research assistant at Hospital Cardiovascular Rehab Program working with Vulnerable Populations.

60+ Hours as Strength and Conditioning Intern with OHL Hockey Team

80 Hours working as an Ambassador for Mental Health Organization assisting in running and co-ordinating community events.

[font=

Played Junior A hockey for 4 years before university.

10 hours job shadowing local PT

10 hours job shadowing local Chiropractor

Essays I think were good.[/font]

Was at Mac past weekend for MMIs, feel like they went okay, not great.

Hopefully I'll get in somewhere! wishing everyone goodluck!

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I will hopefully be applying to OT school this upcoming fall. However, after looking at this thread I am now aware of how competitive the program is. I am sitting at a 3.5 sGPA roughly... :(

Does anyone have any advice on how to improve my application? What schools are less competitive? Should I even bother applying this fall? Any advice would be helpful!!!  :)

I will hopefully be applying to OT school this upcoming fall. However, after looking at this thread I am now aware of how competitive the program is. I am sitting at a 3.5 sGPA roughly... :(

Does anyone have any advice on how to improve my application? What schools are less competitive? Should I even bother applying this fall? Any advice would be helpful!!!  :)

It's so competitive here in Canada. I checked out some schools in the states and a 3.5 seems to be enough to get you into most programs. I know queens looks more at the applicant as a whole but they also have sub GPA cut offs around 3.6. If I were to apply again I would apply to many schools in Canada but also internationally to increase my chances. Of course you can take more courses to increase your sub but make sure it's worth the money!

Best of luck to you my friend!!!

Does anyone have any advice on how to improve my application? What schools are less competitive? Should I even bother applying this fall? Any advice would be helpful!!! :)

For OT, if you have a cumulative gpa of 3.2 and have good work experience then you have a chance at Queen's. Otherwise a 3.6 can get you into some schools. 3.7 seems to be the competitive gpa that most applicants have :/ I know the struggle.

Reading these threads can be very intimidating! I applied to two schools last year and made a waitlist, but ultimately didn't get in. So, I decided to take a few more classes to improve my gpa. I haven't heard if I've gotten in this year yet, but I am really glad that I took extra classes. I gained a lot of knowledge that will be really helpful to my (hopefully) future career as an OT and the classes I took helped me narrow down specifically what area of OT I want to work in. If you can afford to upgrade by taking some more classes I definitely think it's worth it if you know that OT is what you want to do! If you do take extra classes though only take classes until the end of December- any classes taken after that won't count towards your gpa calculation for admission.

Hey Everyone, 

This will be my second time applying to some schools, hoping this is the year! I've been reading everyone's posts for the past few years, so I figured it was about time I chimed in. Only a few more weeks until we find out!

Applied: Queens, U of T, McMaster, Western (ALL OT)

Accepted: 
Waitlisted: McMaster (I was waitlisted for the interviews, but did not receive one) (I was told the cut off was a 3.72)
Rejected: McMaster
GPA: cGPA = 3.44 , sGPA = 3.69

In comparison to most of you, I feel like my GPA is kind of low, so I'm definitely nervous about my chances, especially since I didn't make the top 300 for McMaster. However, I know that every school has slightly different criteria, so I'm hopeful I have a chance elsewhere. I know Queens seems to be less focused on grades, but again that's just been my observation. Any insight on that? Also, did anyone get rejected from McMaster, and get an acceptance elsewhere (from the 2015 or 2016 cycle)? Waiting until May 19th, feels like a lifetime.

Anyways, I'm hoping I'm still in the running, and that maybe the people who post are just the ones with higher GPA's. Come fall, I would be ecstatic to work with some of you.

My application highlights a wide variety of volunteer experience with OT's and OTA/PTA's as well as strong references, so I am crossing my fingers that this will stand out somewhere. While I would be very happy with even one acceptance, I would love to hear from anyone who is a recent grad or is currently in a program, in case I get lucky and have a choice. Feel free to pm me, we obviously have at least one common interest. 

Hey everyone, if you applied to University of Alberta for OT you may want to check your emails!!

I just received my offer!! So excited! 

I was kind of worried because the email didn't say my name (just "dear applicant") but glad to hear others have received it too! Congrats all!!

Archived