Premed 101 Forums

Interview Preparation

Regarding the interview where I matched, it lasted 10 minutes, there was a Panel of 6, which included a resident for whom I worked. Being female, they asked me how I would handle work/life balance, i.e., how would I handle surgery and having a family and raising my future children (but the actual question was "work/life balance" and I read into the question). I was not asked but volunteered that I expected to do a fellowship. The interview was quite short and simple. They already knew who I was through the documents on file and I had worked with one of the interviewers. Perhaps they had a short list in advance. We were 40 qualified interviewees for just 3 spots, so an element of luck is involved in my view. Good luck!  :P

There is an excel document floating around somewhere. If you guys can't find it I can post it. But basically it contains interview question each program "usually asks" they are good preparation. I got a couple of them on my interview tour (family med). The best way is to go over with peers. Even better, get current residents or even staff to practice with you. Ask for feedback and improve your performance accordingly. Otherwise, just be yourself :)

Hello deathvv, if you don't mind, may you post it?

I am too lazy now to go through every thread to find the excel document link. Sorry about this, I know that you must be very busy as a resident.

Thank you so much :)

There is an excel document floating around somewhere. If you guys can't find it I can post it. But basically it contains interview question each program "usually asks" they are good preparation. I got a couple of them on my interview tour (family med). The best way is to go over with peers. Even better, get current residents or even staff to practice with you. Ask for feedback and improve your performance accordingly. Otherwise, just be yourself :)

Slightly off topic - does anyone know how schools weigh our applications vs our interviews after the tour is done? Do some schools just look at interviews or is it usually a weighted combo?

At our program, we rank candidates based on interview impression.  If we need to tie-break (eg rank 4th vs. 5th), we might go into pre-interview stuff.  I know of another program that uses a pre-post weighted approach.  Every program has their own system.

Not sure how it is done in larger programs - but in smaller programs, *people* are ranked, not applications (as in medical school admissions). That is to say, the committee gets together and decides who they'd like and in what order.

To add to this too, not that it should be a surprise, but all impressions and behaviors count...  including

- Attitude on off-service rotations - If you're interviewing at your home school and you seem like a superstar to the program that you're applying to, but completely opposite on other rotations, like being lazy or rude towards others

- Elective, if you managed to do one on-site - If you may have rubbed certain people the wrong way, administrative staff, allied health staff, etc.

- Social night - Having too many drinks and getting drunk might not be a good idea

- Actual interview

Archived