Premed 101 Forums

Kinesiology (Or) Physiology & Pharmacology

Blamo

I'm currently in the process of applying to the University of Saskatchewan but I'm unable to decide on an undergraduate degree. I've narrowed it down to either Kinesiology or Physiology & Pharmacology; if I had to decide before posting this topic for discussion, I would choose PhysPharm.

PhysPharm will provide me with a better knowledge of the required sciences' going into Medicine should it come to that (which is my goal). I also believe that should medicine not work out, PhysPharm has a better job outlook.

The only issue with PhysPharm is that I'm worried that I'll be unable to maintain a high enough mark when it comes time to apply to medicine, whereas with Kinesiology, I know I'll have a strong average. This isn't to say I'm not interested in Kin, it's just not my first choice.

Any advice is appreciated more than you would ever know, thanks everyone.

From personal experience, I did so much better on the "hard" courses that I was interested in versus the "bird" courses that I could care less about. Maybe take a look at the courses offered in each program and see if you would enjoy them.

Also, see if you can talk to a student in those programs. Ask about course load/difficulty/support!

If I was in your position I would take the program you are most interested in - then during first term just focus on grades and more importantly how to study! (you have 4 years for ECs and research)

Kin is a great prep for medicine, is not hard but the material is voluminous, so one needs to work hard consistently to be a straight A student. The rule of thumb is to take that which is of interest to you as you will likely have much better grades.

Archived