Premed 101 Forums

Please Help - Should I Apply For The Ot Schools In Ontario This Year

Hello everyone,

I was considering to apply to the Ontario OT programs but I was not sure if my average was high enough to even be considered. I currently have a sub GPA (last 20 half credits/ 10 full credits) of 80.45 and a cumulative GPA of 79.65. Would these averages be worth applying for? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

What is that, about a 3.0 on a 4.0 scale? 

• Last I checked, UWO's cutoff just for consideration is 3.6
  • If I remember correctly, Queen's uses your cumulative GPA as a cutoff just for consideration, and I think they say the minimum for the cutoff is 3.0. That depends on the applicant pool, and it would probably be safer if your cumulative GPA were at least 3.2 or 3.3
  • UofT hasn't posted a cutoff GPA, but this year says it expects the admission average to be between 3.5 and 3.7 (within the last 20 half courses). That doesn't mean someone with a sub 3.5 GPA can't get in, but admission obviously will be competitive, and it'll be more difficult for someone with a lower GPA.
  • I'm not sure of the admission criteria for the other Ontario schools, but I imagine the criteria's not all that different.

All of that being said, do you think you can offset your grades with your written personal submissions, and experience with OT? Do you think you can provide references who can write you strong enough letters of recommendation to help offset your grades? If the answer to those questions is no, then you'd probably be better off doing some work to boost your GPA, and finding ways to strengthen your application. 

Also, do you mean this year as in you want to apply for September 2017 admission? Because applications are due this Friday. Have you given yourself enough time to put together a strong application? 

According to ORPAS GPA Conversion table its a 3.7/4 but I wasn't quite sure how people were converting their averages.

I already started my application process and have good references, its just I had difficulty with one of my courses last semester which brought my GPA down. That's why I wasn't sure if i should apply or not. I have a strong resume with good experience as well!

What are your thoughts?

Personally, I think if your GPA converts to a 3.7/4.0, and you feel confident in your references and experience, I'd give it a shot. 

The way you have your GPA stated, is that a percentage, or a grade point system? For example, at the University of Calgary, each letter grade corresponds with a certain number of grade points (eg. an A = 12.000, an A- = 11.100).

Archived