Premed 101 Forums

Second Undergrad Omsas Application

I'm planning on applying next round in July when everything opens. However, I'm currently completing a second undergraduate degree. I've never applied yet, so I'm just wondering how my first undergrad would play into it? I didn't do particularly well GPA-wise in my first undergrad due a variety of reasons and honestly I'm hoping that I won't have to include that in my application at all, or will I have to?

Damn. What happens if there's extenuating circumstances for doing that poorly? I'm debating if I should send an e-mail to McMaster and ask to see what they say.

Not sure they have any way of not considering it but you can ask. I have never seen them disregard a first degree after the second, although there quite a number of schools have will at this point not consider that first degree. 

It is vulnerability as the system as I don't think they actually have a way of knowing you did a degree before. Canada does not as of yet have a system for tracking centrally what degrees people have. 

Not sure they have any way of not considering it but you can ask. I have never seen them disregard a first degree after the second, although there quite a number of schools have will at this point not consider that first degree. 

I e-mailed them this morning so we'll see what they say; I'll respond here no matter what I hear from them.

How is radiology at Ottawa? I'm doing my clinical placement there starting August (and was there last year as well from May to June)

I emailed and asked them that question last year, they said my best bet was to speak with the University in question and see if my circumstances warranted the removal of those marks from my transcript.  Otherwise if they're on the transcript they must be entered in OMSAS.  I pursued that path but unfortunately my University is not super friendly and helpful to Mature Students, so had no luck.

I emailed and asked them that question last year, they said my best bet was to speak with the University in question and see if my circumstances warranted the removal of those marks from my transcript.  Otherwise if they're on the transcript they must be entered in OMSAS.  I pursued that path but unfortunately my University is not super friendly and helpful to Mature Students, so had no luck.

How would that work? Like I don't understand their rationale behind just removing grades off of a transcript; wouldn't that alter things if I decided to go back to that university to get another degree?

McMaster got back to me and they were not helpful:

We do appreciate what you are describing, however, there would be no exception made to how we would calculate the GPA.  McMaster will calculate the GPA using a cumulative average of the grades from all courses taken at the undergraduate level with all years treated equally. No weighting is applied and you cannot eliminate any grades from the calculation.  

Archived