Premed 101 Forums

Dentistry In Hungary

Not if they want to stay in Europe like they said they do..........

From OP's previous posts, I think that he/she wants to stay in Canada and practice here but if he/she truly desires to stay in Europe and practice there then Hungry is not such a bad option. 

I know someone who went to a Hungary school for Dental. The training was done in English.   They are now back in Canada writing exams to practice here.

Do you hold an EU passport / birth certificate ?    What is your path to be able to stay in EU to work after graduation ?

I know someone who went to a Hungary school for Dental. The training was done in English. They are now back in Canada writing exams to practice here.

Do you hold an EU passport / birth certificate ? What is your path to be able to stay in EU to work after graduation ?

He completed school in Hungary last year and moved back to Canada. 

No formal additional training in Canada so far.. Is going through a NDEB Equivalency process.   He has some exam next month, but not sure what next step is after that.

Do they need to study 2 year at a university in Canada in order to be able to take the exams??

He completed school in Hungary last year and moved back to Canada. 

No formal additional training in Canada so far.. Is going through a NDEB Equivalency process.   He has some exam next month, but not sure what next step is after that.

He'll have a hard time getting a job. Very few people want to hire people who went through the equivalency process.

its tough to pass it to begin with. Only 20% pass it.

That pass rate has gone up from what I understand. That said, 20% of "a lot" is still "a lot." It's basically like adding another 3 dental schools to Canada.

All of those people settle in the GTA, by the way. Some principals have told me some weird stuff from their applications and etc. One apparently sent the principal a daysheet to show "Hey look, this is how much stuff I can do in a day and bill in a day." Complete with patient names, radiographs, etc. Huge PHIPA violation.

The issue isn't with clinical competency so much (although that sometimes has its concerns as well) but rather how FTD's conduct themselves in the industry as a whole. Domestic experience is necessary to show people "Hey, this is how it's done here. You need to start doing some things you didn't before and stop doing some things you did before." This is what drives the fear that prevents a lot of principals from hiring FTDs despite being flooded by their applications. These people are perceived as more likely (whether that be anecdotal or real, I'm not sure) to hurt patient relations and harm the principal's image, regardless of whether or not they do good dentistry.

Overseas, dentistry is just mechanical healthcare. Over here, dentistry is 90% talking. Therein lies the problem facing FTDs.

That pass rate has gone up from what I understand. That said, 20% of "a lot" is still "a lot." It's basically like adding another 3 dental schools to Canada.

All of those people settle in the GTA, by the way. Some principals have told me some weird stuff from their applications and etc. One apparently sent the principal a daysheet to show "Hey look, this is how much stuff I can do in a day and bill in a day." Complete with patient names, radiographs, etc. Huge PHIPA violation.

The issue isn't with clinical competency so much (although that sometimes has its concerns as well) but rather how FTD's conduct themselves in the industry as a whole. Domestic experience is necessary to show people "Hey, this is how it's done here. You need to start doing some things you didn't before and stop doing some things you did before." This is what drives the fear that prevents a lot of principals from hiring FTDs despite being flooded by their applications. These people are perceived as more likely (whether that be anecdotal or real, I'm not sure) to hurt patient relations and harm the principal's image, regardless of whether or not they do good dentistry.

Overseas, dentistry is just mechanical healthcare. Over here, dentistry is 90% talking. Therein lies the problem facing FTDs.

The pass rate has been consistent over the last few years. This year there has been a reduction in number of applicants for equivalency process. The things that you have mentioned, if true, is a big concern! If its true, then I believe there needs to be something done to prevent this from happening in the future. This could be detrimental to our profession. Thanks for sharing  

Two of my friends passed the exams easily and opened their own clinic last year . It's not that difficult though.

pass rate is 20%. is that easy? I don't think so. IMHO going to a European country, where you don't even speak the language, invest all this time and money to get a degree thats not even accredited is not worth it!  Dentistry is not a guaranteed path to success anymore and its getting worse every year. so to go through all this hassle to be a dentist is not worth it at all! 

NO career provides a 'guaranteed' path to success anymore. I'm so sick of all these doom and gloom posts regarding dentistry. End of the day, dentistry is an extremely vast field that provides a ton of opportunities for success. Are you guaranteed a million dollar salary? Of course not, but that doesn't mean that you still won't be making more than 99% of the population. Work your *** off, expect nothing, and build the life you want. The sense of entitlement is crazy nowadays, just because you're a dentist doesn't mean you can stop working hard.

NO career provides a 'guaranteed' path to success anymore. I'm so sick of all these doom and gloom posts regarding dentistry. End of the day, dentistry is an extremely vast field that provides a ton of opportunities for success. Are you guaranteed a million dollar salary? Of course not, but that doesn't mean that you still won't be making more than 99% of the population. Work your *** off, expect nothing, and build the life you want. The sense of entitlement is crazy nowadays, just because you're a dentist doesn't mean you can stop working hard.

There's a fine line between "doom and gloom" and "realistic." I'm as optimistic as anyone. I thoroughly enjoy my career and have had some great times in my limited experience thus far. 

But there are some real changes happening in dentistry that have resulted from economic and competitive pressures, and not necessarily to a good degree. In my opinion it's sort of akin to the squeezing of the middle class in recent years. You have huge dental corporations controlling vast networks of dental practices and tiny little single practitioner offices struggling to stay afloat at the other end. In the middle it's hard to say, and it's getting to the point where it's either a race to the top (be as big as possible) or a race to the bottom (be as cheap as possible).

I think we should all work hard, expect nothing, and be happy with what we have, but professional careers are a different beast. You can have all of these things with much shorter timelines and even less work and stress. At a certain point the career just isn't feasible from a time and economic standpoint. My life would be very, very different (many would argue better) had I pursued something else and not taken on the commitment that is dentistry.

Putting aside all arguments about the future of dentistry, this seems like a really risky life plan. If you do in fact wish to return to Canada (and it seems like you probably do) you're going to spend 4-5 years studying in a foreign country and even if you take multiple attempts at the test (limit is 3 I believe) your chances of gaining a license are maybe 50/50 (after 1-3 years of trying). It's very reasonable to assume that you could waste the better part of a decade doing this.

And as mentioned, even if all goes well and you pass, you're gong to be at the bottom of the totem pole when it comes to getting jobs. The dentist I work for/with will not consider non-accredited dentists and that's common.

I can imagine when considering FTDs, a canadian who did dentistry abroad is probably going to be viewed differently than a true foreigner who is a FTD. 

A lot of the issues come with cultural barriers and practices etc, that are likely(but not universally) more of a worry for true foreigners, than Canadians who just went abroad for their education. 

Studying abroad is perfect for someone including me who don't want to come back to Canada. But still there are many dentists in Canada who studied abroad. It depends on your grades , research and the exam score. I know many people who studied abroad and passed the exam easily. And I also know someone who studied in Canada but due to lack of knowledge and techniques, he is not working as a dentist. I know studying in North America is the best option but for someone who doesn't have a high GPA or dat score , studying abroad is definitely the best option if being a dentist is your dream.

Archived