Premed 101 Forums

What Is Working As A Rural Or Urban Family Physician In Bc Really Like?

merci

I'm considering going to medical school with intention of becoming a family doctor in a rural or semi-rural area in BC (ie Prince George/Kamloops). I have not shadowed a GP so I was hoping someone on here could speak to the realities of being a GP.

Does it ever get boring or is there opportunity for continuous learning?

If I had a family and only wanted to work 3 days a week, could I do that? And how much would I expect to make?

What does your average day look like?

Is it easy to pick up and move to a different town?

Any other bits if advice/reality you can give me would be much appreciated!

I'm considering going to medical school with intention of becoming a family doctor in a rural or semi-rural area in BC (ie Prince George/Kamloops). I have not shadowed a GP so I was hoping someone on here could speak to the realities of being a GP.

Does it ever get boring or is there opportunity for continuous learning?

If I had a family and only wanted to work 3 days a week, could I do that? And how much would I expect to make?

What does your average day look like?

Is it easy to pick up and move to a different town?

Any other bits if advice/reality you can give me would be much appreciated!

Kamloops is great. I did an ER elective there. Despite that, I worked almost solely with family doctors who were very talented. The entire inpatient service was also run by family doctors, I believe there may have been an internal med consultation service but I can't remember. Many family doctors saw their own inpatients. They ran the show. Lot's of great stuff to do nearby.

Archived