Premed 101 Forums

Usask Tuition Increase

Tuition is increasing 2% but they are also adding a $7,000 program fee. We (as dental students currently attending the U of S) were given the information today.

Thanks for the inside info!

The $7,000 program fee is in the fine print (point #1) on page 4

This is strange. Seems as though they want the money but still want to be able to say tuition* fees are low

*but we have other fees that we keep in the fine print

Guess I should read the fine print from now on lol

24k shouldn't be a reason for someone to not pursue dentistry (especially if UofS is their only option).

True but that doesn't make the continuous increases in tuition a fair move either. We know these increases DO add barriers. Initially people have little idea often of the financial options available and thus simply look that the cost early on and decide that it is simply impossible. You can argue the motivated should not just stop there but I still think it is still would is a lot of cases. 

If you shrug off a 24K increase then at what point exactly would you start to object? 

True but that doesn't make the continuous increases in tuition a fair move either. We know these increases DO add barriers. Initially people have little idea often of the financial options available and thus simply look that the cost early on and decide that it is simply impossible. You can argue the motivated should not just stop there but I still think it is still would is a lot of cases. 

If you shrug off a 24K increase then at what point exactly would you start to object? 

I wasn't implying that the increase in tuition should be an afterthought in the mind of prospective students, but rather simply stating that it shouldn't be a reason for students to not apply (which is what I incorrectly thought the OP was originally suggesting).

To address your question I agree that 24k is obviously quite significant and wouldn't blame anyone who objects to the hike (even if the increase was significantly less than 24k). However, what power do we as applicants have, where in many cases people are grateful to get into even just one school and don't have a choice of where to attend? I doubt anyone who is only admitted to only UofS will end up saying "well, tough luck I have to pay an extra 24k. I guess dental school is not for me."

edit: to clarify, there is obviously a point at which it becomes unfeasible for applicants. I guess that price point would be when cost of attendance can no longer be realistically covered with LOC, etc.

Tuition is increasing 2% but they are also adding a $7,000 program fee. We (as dental students currently attending the U of S) were given the information today.

I wonder if it's not "tuition", can it be used is tuition deductible when you file your tax in the future.

• 2 months later...

I have to say I do get worried when I see these really high fees etc which of course require for most large LOC amounts. 

Interest rates aren't going to stay this low forever. Canada isn't in as good a shape as the US which as been somewhat protective for us LOC holders. Still the US rates are on the rise and you would think eventually so would ours (interest rate differentials like that eventually drive currency changes to start with). 

Not all doom and gloom but something we have to careful with. 

I wasn't implying that the increase in tuition should be an afterthought in the mind of prospective students, but rather simply stating that it shouldn't be a reason for students to not apply (which is what I incorrectly thought the OP was originally suggesting).

To address your question I agree that 24k is obviously quite significant and wouldn't blame anyone who objects to the hike (even if the increase was significantly less than 24k). However, what power do we as applicants have, where in many cases people are grateful to get into even just one school and don't have a choice of where to attend? I doubt anyone who is only admitted to only UofS will end up saying "well, tough luck I have to pay an extra 24k. I guess dental school is not for me."

edit: to clarify, there is obviously a point at which it becomes unfeasible for applicants. I guess that price point would be when cost of attendance can no longer be realistically covered with LOC, etc.

ha, forums are imperfect communication tools - I wasn't implying that you though it was insignificant either. 

As to what power we have - valid point but somehow other places have kept it lower. Prospective students may not have much power (although if you look back I wouldn't say that is exactly true), but those already and in and beyond do. That is where leadership is supposed to kick in (goes for both meds and dents). Not sure how yet but this is one area I would like to help with in the future.  

as to the LOC - I agree that the price as it stands right now should not logically be a barrier, but yet I know that it is. It skews who goes to the school, it skews who comes out in the end - and that isn't a good thing. 

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived