Premed 101 Forums

Mcgill Interviews Regrets/invites 2017

SMT

I've heard of many people getting interviews from positions off the waitlist and even some of them getting offers of admission so don't lose hope or think that a waitlist interview negatively affects your chances. Hope you hear some good news soon.

What is a reasonable expectation for waitlist movement?

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What is a reasonable expectation for waitlist movement?

I don't think there is a good number that anybody can give you. The applicant pool and the admissions department varies so greatly from year to year that it is impossible to predict the dynamics of waitlist movement. Try and stay positive and occupied with things that you can control.

Hello everybody, i previsously posted this comment 3-4 days ago in the Q/A answers ambassadors McGill but nobody answers. Am reposting it here in case anyone of you didn't check the other thread and would have the answer on it:

So As I understood, post-interview, GPA-sciences counts for 20$ overall and interviews for 80%. If my GPA prerequisties sciences courses is 3.46, and my GPA for recommend courses (biologie moleculaire, biologie cellulaire, physiologie animale et cvhimie organique) is 3.86. Would they take both? or the best of it?

Thank you

Hello everybody, i previsously posted this comment 3-4 days ago in the Q/A answers ambassadors McGill but nobody answers. Am reposting it here in case anyone of you didn't check the other thread and would have the answer on it:

So As I understood, post-interview, GPA-sciences counts for 20$ overall and interviews for 80%. If my GPA prerequisties sciences courses is 3.46, and my GPA for recommend courses (biologie moleculaire, biologie cellulaire, physiologie animale et cvhimie organique) is 3.86. Would they take both? or the best of it?

Thank you

From the McGill Admissions website under Basic Science Prerequisites (https://www.mcgill.ca/medadmissions/applying/requirements-edu/basic-science-prerequisites) it says:

"Candidates applying to the MDCM program who have completed the seven required prerequisite courses and who have also completed introductory level university courses in molecular biology, cell biology, mammalian physiology and organic chemistry will be evaluated on whichever of the two is the most favourable to the candidate."

So likely they would include the suggested courses if they improve your GPA. Good luck!

*PLEASE HELP* :-( 

Hi guys,

I don't have any stats but I have a question for those of you who applied and got accepted with a Masters degrees or PhD:

- Did they look at your post-undergrad grades or not at all? 

I have read somewhere that McGill only looked at undergraduate degrees, and it also seems to be the case according to McGill's website.

So with which degree you applied with? 

I am hoping to either do a second undergrad or MPH, but if they won't look at my MPH GPA then there's no point, because my first undergrad GPA is not great. 

I don't mean to derail the initial forum topic so you can private message me with any insight if you would like to help me out!! 

Thanks 

Congrats to those who got in! 

*PLEASE HELP* :-( 

Hi guys,

I don't have any stats but I have a question for those of you who applied and got accepted with a Masters degrees or PhD:

- Did they look at your post-undergrad grades or not at all? 

I have read somewhere that McGill only looked at undergraduate degrees, and it also seems to be the case according to McGill's website.

So with which degree you applied with? 

I am hoping to either do a second undergrad or MPH, but if they won't look at my MPH GPA then there's no point, because my first undergrad GPA is not great. 

Any insight will hope.

Congrats to those who got in! 

Here is the answer you are looking for! Straight from their site.

The basis of admission degree is the undergraduate degree and the cumulative grade point average (CGPA) is the primary measure of degree performance.  A candidate’s academic background is weighted at 70% during the prescreening process. Within this 70% academic score, 90% is based on the undergraduate CGPA and 10% is based on academic context. The assessment of an applicant's academic context consists of (a) the progression of difficulty of coursework, (B) post-bachelor's academics and © the recognition of professional degree programs (i.e.: programs that lead to the practice of a profession for which one must be a member of a professional order).

https://www.mcgill.ca/medadmissions/applying/selection-process/academic-evaluation

Here is the answer you are looking for! Straight from their site.

The basis of admission degree is the undergraduate degree and the cumulative grade point average (CGPA) is the primary measure of degree performance.  A candidate’s academic background is weighted at 70% during the prescreening process. Within this 70% academic score, 90% is based on the undergraduate CGPA and 10% is based on academic context. The assessment of an applicant's academic context consists of (a) the progression of difficulty of coursework, ( B) post-bachelor's academics and © the recognition of professional degree programs (i.e.: programs that lead to the practice of a profession for which one must be a member of a professional order).

https://www.mcgill.ca/medadmissions/applying/selection-process/academic-evaluation

Hey thanks!

I had already seen this. I guess I was double-checking because I saw people who got in with 3.3 or 3.4 GPA, but who also had graduate degrees, so was wondering if it was really possible to get in with those grades only from an undergrad. But guess the 10% academic context really matters after all! Cheers! 

Hey thanks!

I had already seen this. I guess I was double-checking because I saw people who got in with 3.3 or 3.4 GPA, but who also had graduate degrees, so was wondering if it was really possible to get in with those grades only from an undergrad. But guess the 10% academic context really matters after all! Cheers! 

Does merely having/pursuing an advanced degree give bonus points for the academic context?

The bonus you get from an advanced degree is trivial compared to your GPA. I think it's important to remember that the applicants who got an interview with a 3.4 are the exception rather than the rule so if your ultimate goal is getting into medical school, you should pursue a second degree and not an MPH.

I agree, we definitely are the exception. I also had extenuating circumstances but again that would only bring my cGPA to about a max of 3.5. however, i did have a steady upward trend and ended my undergrad with a 3.9 GPA (my last 2 years cumulatively are 3.8). i don't think they took my master's GPA into consideration. finally, i have a master's plus work experience, i'm older for sure, and have a vast range of activities, publications, work experience, etc. on my CV. I've been rejected by many a school believe me. this was a shock, but at the same time i know my activities, life experiences, and extra curricular involvements really brought me up. 

How many people are on the wait-list aprox ? They invited 272 candidates and I just got my ranking : I'm 290th ( I know it is frustrating, but I'm happy to find out that I was so close and that I was not far behind on the list of applicants !) . So I assume they take like 10 or 15 on the wait-list ?

• 4 weeks later...

TIME STAMP: 10:02 pm

Result: Invite !

wGPA: 3.93

MCAT: -

ECs: 2 research internship ( grant, poster, presentation award), teaching assistant, speed skating coach, lots of voluntering and more

Year:  3rd year undergrad

IP/OOP/International: IP

Letter of EC: No

I finally received my email confirmation !!!  :)

Congrats on getting invited,

I noticed you apply as a third year undergrad, but i thought they required a full 120 credit degree before applying? if they don't then i would consider applying  next year.

Thank you and good luck.

Congrats on getting invited,

I noticed you apply as a third year undergrad, but i thought they required a full 120 credit degree before applying? if they don't then i would consider applying  next year.

Thank you and good luck.

Not to answer specifically for this poster, but many in-province students only complete three years of undergrad (having done a year of CEGEP beforehand), and therefore 90 credits. The following page confirms that "degree used as the basis of admission must be successfully completed and conferred by July 31 of the year of entry to the first year of the M.D.,C.M. program."

https://www.mcgill.ca/medadmissions/applying/requirements-edu/degree-requirements

Archived