Premed 101 Forums

Comparison Of Canadian Med Schools

potatoface

All Canadian medical schools provide an excellent education for future physicians. The very best medical school for you is the one that accepts you! :P I loved PBL, was able to skip all lectures as they did not take attendance, allowing me to be more efficient with my time. Generally speaking, the smaller the class size, the greater the opportunities. 

Every Canadian med school has a high standard of education. Splitting the pros and cons of each institution is not that meaningful. This differs from say the United States, a country so large that quality can vary widely depending on where you are. In that case, knowing those kinds of details is more important. At the end of the day, it's always about your individual goals and effort.

Keep in mind that you'll have plenty of opportunity to understand the opportunities of any school during the interview process for medical school. Every single interview period involves the school selling themselves to the applicants just as much as it is applicants demonstrating their value to the school. If you're lucky enough to have multiple offers, there should be very little doubt about the relative strengths and weaknesses of the schools you're choosing between, since there will be so many people at each school trying to show you the advantages of joining their program.

The great thing about Canadian medical schools are that they all provide you with excellent education. There are strict accreditation standards that each program has to meet, and if they don't meet them, they have to make appropriate changes. A large medical school such as University of Toronto are held to the same standards and rigours as a much smaller school like Memorial University of Newfoundland or Northern Ontario School of Medicine.

The "pros and cons" of each medical schools that you speak of, I think, are trivial and insignificant to the overall/end purpose of developing a competent MD/MDCM.

Now that doesn't mean that some people suit some schools better than others. I think every student finding their best fit comes with insight, reflection, self-awareness, and research into the school and their curriculum. This forum is great for asking current student's about their perspective/experience in their school's curriculum.

Hope that helps!

The great thing about Canadian medical schools are that they all provide you with excellent education. There are strict accreditation standards that each program has to meet, and if they don't meet them, they have to make appropriate changes. A large medical school such as University of Toronto are held to the same standards and rigours as a much smaller school like Memorial University of Newfoundland or Northern Ontario School of Medicine.

The "pros and cons" of each medical schools that you speak of, I think, are trivial and insignificant to the overall/end purpose of developing a competent MD/MDCM.

Now that doesn't mean that some people suit some schools better than others. I think every student finding their best fit comes with insight, reflection, self-awareness, and research into the school and their curriculum. This forum is great for asking current student's about their perspective/experience in their school's curriculum.

Hope that helps!

all true :) 

additionally (unlike the US) all the schools also have roughly equivalent funding as well per student. It is the combination of the same standards and same resources to teach the core clinical material that leads to similar education.

What are the pros and cons of each med school in Canada? (In terms of teaching, research opportunity, class size, residency, extracurricular activity etc.)

If there's already another thread on this topic can some one link it to me?

Thanks in advance :)

teaching: consider PBL vs traditional lecture vs mix. also consider satellite sites and how they get their teaching.

class size: you can do the research yourself, don't forget to take into consideration satellite campuses.

residency: consider how clerkship and electives are structured. are all the core rotations before elective time? how many elective weeks? any home field advantage for a particular specialty? How has students matched in the past (you can find this on carms website)

It would be more helpful if your question was more oriented and explicit about the depth of info and nuance you're looking for. 

teaching: consider PBL vs traditional lecture vs mix. also consider satellite sites and how they get their teaching.

class size: you can do the research yourself, don't forget to take into consideration satellite campuses.

residency: consider how clerkship and electives are structured. are all the core rotations before elective time? how many elective weeks? any home field advantage for a particular specialty? How has students matched in the past (you can find this on carms website)

It would be more helpful if your question was more oriented and explicit about the depth of info and nuance you're looking for. 

Also research opportunities do vary across faculties, which can make a difference for matching.  And finally some schools do have more resources - e.g. UofT is building a new anatomy lab which for surgery would make a difference - while other places have little anatomy.  

Do you want summers?

-->exclude Calgary & McMaster

Do you want to finish in 3 years?

-->choose Calgary or McMaster

What city do you want to live in due to personal preference, family, friends, research or EC connections that you'd like to continue?

-->choose that city

What shikimate described re: clerkship and elective organization is a worthwhile consideration as well.

Also when you're visiting each school on interview day, pay attention to your overall personal impression, the vibe of the school/students, impression of the facilities, etc.

If you prefer not to go to class because you don't really learn sitting in lecture all day and prefer to make your own decisions as an adult learner about what learning events are important to you (ie. you prefer not to have mandatory learning events), then you should go to McMaster which is the most innovative in this regard from what I understand.

Archived