Premed 101 Forums

How Do I Start? Very Lost. Appreciate Any And All Help. Thank You.

I hope I am posting in the right platform. I tried many places and only got shot down with saying how I must attend pre-reqs classes and have proof or I won't be accepted, etc., even after I explained how things are different here. This is going to be lengthy and maybe confusing, please do pardon me!

I am from Singapore. Small country with only 3 schools offering medicine. All government schools. 2 of which requires the standard full distinctions in your Cambridge 'A' levels results. And to even take the 'A' levels (2 more years of studying in a Junior College after 'O' level's), you need exceptionally good 'O' levels (to enter a Junior College).

The 3rd school (new) offers medicine to anyone with degrees in any fields instead of 'A' levels. All you need is a good MCAT along with the degree. This is much slower than the 'A' level route since you need first to have a degree. But it's the government's way of offering a second chance to people.

I couldn't enter a Junior College, hence no A levels. I went to study in a polytechnic after my 'O' Levels (as do everyone who cannot get into Junior Colleges) and chose to study IT and got a Diploma.

I am studying a Degree in Business Management now after my diploma which will last another 2 - 2.5 years, and I intend to study for MCAT during these years, then apply for the new school.

But I do not have *any* science background. Yes, I took physics / chem for my 'O' levels, but it's so long ago and remember nothing. Let's assume I don't have any.

Is there anywhere at all from online / books that I can buy, where I can learn from scratch what people learn in their pre req in the us / canada (which I assume is needed to even start studying MCAT)

There are no places to study things like that here, no community colleges etc.

I saw online pre-req courses by certain universities, and they are *superbly* expensive. No way as a student can I afford that.

I know I need Biology, general chem, organic chem, bio chem, physics, psychology, sociology.

Is Khan Academy's science (bio, ap bio, chem, ap chem, organic chem, physics, ap physics) enough for a start? I know I need more than this. Is there anywhere / any books that will be good?

Do advice, and thanks for everything.

- Katelyn

First - you don't need any science courses (or any other prerequisite courses) to write the MCAT. There are MANY people on here with no science background that self-studied and successfully wrote the MCAT. The book sets for MCAT preparation generally contain the material you will need to know in order to write the test and include access to practice tests. Some people may choose to take courses to prepare for the MCAT but as long as you can teach yourself the material out of a book there is no need to do this.

Khan academy is a good resource (and free) so you could definitely start there. I used The Princeton Review books and they were good. I've seen lots of people here recommend Exam Krackers as well. Both of those book sets are available through Amazon. They aren't cheap (expect to pay a few hundred bucks for a set) but should be a lot cheaper than full courses.

Here's the catch - you need to be able to teach yourself for the books to be an effective option. You are the only one that knows whether or not independent learning will work for you or if you need a more structured classroom environment. In general, if you are willing to put the time and effort in then there is no reason you cannot do well on the MCAT.

I hope this information helps. 

You can most definitely get the MCAT out the way with self-studying. Im sure you can find ebooks for half the price or buy them second hand. 

There are also many great angels (literately) on Youtube, who don't have official MCAT labelled videos, but nonetheless cover the same EXACT topics. For example, this guy helped me get through physics: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCiGxYawhEp4QyFcX0R60YdQ

What the deal with pre-req courses? are you thinking about the states?

There are many books and resources that offer comprehensive study guides for the MCAT, it is a multi-million dollar business. As others have mentioned you do not need to take science courses and can learn the material on your own. That being said, for someone with no real science background this would be a very difficult thing to do and most people would not be up to this task. This will take a very large commitment of time and effort from you especially if you are studing for something else simultaneously.

I don't want to discourage you, only prepare you for what lies ahead. I think it is possible to go from no real science knowledge to MCAT-ready in 2 years by teaching yourself using books and Khan academy, I would start with the following:

1) look at the entirety of the MCAT and all the different sections so you know what you will have to learn

2) make up a feasible study schedule, including when you will write practice exams, and meet learning objectives that you will make for each subject

3) really ask yourself if you want to invest this massive amount of time into this and if this is something you really want to do.

GL

https://www.amazon.ca/Princeton-Review-MCAT-Subject-Complete/dp/0804126321 

First - you don't need any science courses (or any other prerequisite courses) to write the MCAT. There are MANY people on here with no science background that self-studied and successfully wrote the MCAT. The book sets for MCAT preparation generally contain the material you will need to know in order to write the test and include access to practice tests. Some people may choose to take courses to prepare for the MCAT but as long as you can teach yourself the material out of a book there is no need to do this.

Khan academy is a good resource (and free) so you could definitely start there. I used The Princeton Review books and they were good. I've seen lots of people here recommend Exam Krackers as well. Both of those book sets are available through Amazon. They aren't cheap (expect to pay a few hundred bucks for a set) but should be a lot cheaper than full courses.

Here's the catch - you need to be able to teach yourself for the books to be an effective option. You are the only one that knows whether or not independent learning will work for you or if you need a more structured classroom environment. In general, if you are willing to put the time and effort in then there is no reason you cannot do well on the MCAT.

I hope this information helps. 

Thanks for the answer! You really gave me some hope. All I've read from other sites are how it's impossible to self-study for MCAT especially with no science knowledge, and it's a must to have science courses etc, downright demoralizing.

I believe I can self-study well. Or at least I will try my best to!

You talked about the book sets for MCAT preparation. May I know what are those / where I can find them? There are so many online and it's overwhelming.

Are the MCAT prep sets (e.g. princeton review you mentioned) good for people with no background, or should I start somewhere first? Since most of them are reviews, so I assume you have to have some foundation first? Say, finishing up khan academy before doing the prep sets would be better?

-Katelyn

You can most definitely get the MCAT out the way with self-studying. Im sure you can find ebooks for half the price or buy them second hand. 

There are also many great angels (literately) on Youtube, who don't have official MCAT labelled videos, but nonetheless cover the same EXACT topics. For example, this guy helped me get through physics: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCiGxYawhEp4QyFcX0R60YdQ

What the deal with pre-req courses? are you thinking about the states?

Thanks for the reply! Nope, I am not thinking about the states. This 3rd school over here is my only shot. But people on other forums seem to say how important the knowledge of those pre-req courses are, and I have absolutely no idea where to study and attain those knowledge even if I am willing, thus the worry. And thanks for the tip about youtube!

-Katelyn

There are many books and resources that offer comprehensive study guides for the MCAT, it is a multi-million dollar business. As others have mentioned you do not need to take science courses and can learn the material on your own. That being said, for someone with no real science background this would be a very difficult thing to do and most people would not be up to this task. This will take a very large commitment of time and effort from you especially if you are studing for something else simultaneously.

I don't want to discourage you, only prepare you for what lies ahead. I think it is possible to go from no real science knowledge to MCAT-ready in 2 years by teaching yourself using books and Khan academy, I would start with the following:

1) look at the entirety of the MCAT and all the different sections so you know what you will have to learn

2) make up a feasible study schedule, including when you will write practice exams, and meet learning objectives that you will make for each subject

3) really ask yourself if you want to invest this massive amount of time into this and if this is something you really want to do.

GL

https://www.amazon.ca/Princeton-Review-MCAT-Subject-Complete/dp/0804126321 

Hi, thanks for the reply! 

It need not be 2 years really. My plan is to start start studying now and if ready, do MCAT by end the of my degree. If not, I will work a year or two or even more using the degree and study MCAT at the side, and go for it when I am ready. Medicine is truly what I want. Doing volunteering works weekly, and experiencing many health-related issues & hospital trips really strengthened this decision.

Thanks for listing out the steps as well!

-Katelyn

Archived