Premed 101 Forums

How Many Does Ottawa Interview + How Many Spots?

In regards to the french stream, there are 90 interviews for 40 spots. There are an additional 8 spots in the french program reserved for CNFS stuents which is totally separate, I believe they interview about 15-20 candidates for those spots (french program applicants outside of the province of Ontario). Total french program seats is therefore 48.

So 90 interviews for 40 spots, given that a few students reject those offers, you can expect the chances for french stream to be a 1 in 2 chance.

Very different from the 575 interviews for 116 spots, roughly 1 in 5 chance.

And I am 99% certain the interview invites go by 50% GPA, 50% Casper score. 

Mr Duck

You are such an informative duck. Sorry about the whole almost-roasting-you-for-dinner thing. I swear it wasn't personal. 

In regards to the french stream, there are 90 interviews for 40 spots. There are an additional 8 spots in the french program reserved for CNFS stuents which is totally separate, I believe they interview about 15-20 candidates for those spots (french program applicants outside of the province of Ontario). Total french program seats is therefore 48.

So 90 interviews for 40 spots, given that a few students reject those offers, you can expect the chances for french stream to be a 1 in 2 chance.

Mr Duck

What's your source for the "90 interviews for 40 spots"? 

Also "very different from the 575 interviews for 116 spots" -- you mean the 90 French interviews and 20 CNFS spots aren't included in 575?

On 1/28/2017 at 6:05 PM, Donald_Duck said:

Mr Duck

What's your source for the "90 interviews for 40 spots"? 

Also "very different from the 575 interviews for 116 spots" -- you mean the 90 French interviews and 20 CNFS spots aren't included in 575?

I would also like to know where these numbers come from ? 

And if these numbers were to be true, what is the rationale of interviewing not the same interviewees/spots  ratio for the French and English streams ? In other words, you would have a greater chance to be admitted when you receive an interview in the French stream vs. the English stream... which is quite unlikely.

I would like to add some clarification as I see a lot of people are doubting the duck.

The 575 interviews is solely for the English stream. The 90 interviews for 40 spots has been confirmed by the admissions office. There are roughly 450 applicants to the French stream yearly however the number of applicants has been rising every year, reaching closer and closer to 500. 

These numbers are accurate and yes the french stream applicants do have a much higher chance to get admitted when they receive an interview invite. This is 100% confirmed and verified with multiple reputable sources. 

Although I do not have a clear answer as to why this is, this is probably due to number of applicants. If you think about it, the English stream receives roughly 4500 applicants for 575 interviews, representing the top 13% of applicants. Interviewing 90 people for the 450 people that apply for the french stream represents the top 20% of applicants. If the English stream interviewed at the same ratio as the french stream than they would have 900 interviews, which is ridiculously high. So think of it more as inviting the top applicants, rather than how many applicants per available spot. 

I hope I have offered some insight to you ducklings.

Mr Duck

I would like to add some clarification as I see a lot of people are doubting the duck.

The 575 interviews is solely for the English stream. The 90 interviews for 40 spots has been confirmed by the admissions office. There are roughly 450 applicants to the French stream yearly however the number of applicants has been rising every year, reaching closer and closer to 500. 

These numbers are accurate and yes the french stream applicants do have a much higher chance to get admitted when they receive an interview invite. This is 100% confirmed and verified with multiple reputable sources. 

Although I do not have a clear answer as to why this is, this is probably due to number of applicants. If you think about it, the English stream receives roughly 4500 applicants for 575 interviews, representing the top 13% of applicants. Interviewing 90 people for the 450 people that apply for the french stream represents the top 20% of applicants. If the English stream interviewed at the same ratio as the french stream than they would have 900 interviews, which is ridiculously high. So think of it more as inviting the top applicants, rather than how many applicants per available spot. 

Mr Duck

Wow ! thanks Mr Duck ! I appreciate the detailed post. - From your fellow Mr Trout

Mr Duck

Very informative! Might I add that of the 450 french applicants that apply, only about 270 are actually above the academic cut-off (Meaning, 180 apply with a GPA below 3.70 and are automatically removed from the race). Of the 270, they offer 90 interviews (33% chance to receive an interview). The odds for french applicants are ridiculously high.

I received these stats from attending an info session at the uOttawa Medical school, so I'm pretty certain of these numbers.

Very informative! Might I add that of the 450 french applicants that apply, only about 270 are actually above the academic cut-off (Meaning, 180 apply with a GPA below 3.70 and are automatically removed from the race). Of the 270, they offer 90 interviews (33% chance to receive an interview). The odds for french applicants are ridiculously high.

I received these stats from attending an info session at the uOttawa Medical school, so I'm pretty certain of these numbers.

Mr Duck

Thanks guys! This is super informative ! 

I forgot to answer Sincere's questions earlier.

The Casper and GPA are the only 2 criteria considered to receive the interview (I am 99% certain the weight is 50/50 although the new dean of admissions might have changed this when she took office in mid December).

As for the reference letters, uOttawa only uses them as a red flag type of thing. There is no grading to the reference letters, just a pass fail. Just like their exams in med schools I suppose...

'Tis nice to meet a fellow member of the marine family Mr Trout!

Mr Duck

I'm pretty sure there are 575 people interviewed for all 164 spots (English and French combined). Obviously the 575 will be skewed towards more English speakers since the English stream has more spots. There is no official breakdown posted anywhere (as far as I know) of how many interviewees are anglophone vs. francophone. 

• 1 year later...
On 1/26/2017 at 4:23 PM, liveyourdream said:

I don't think all interviewees start on equal footing for the interviews. (to be confirmed)
I see a correlation between time stamp of the invite and GPA/Casper results of the applicant.

Does anyone  know how much is worth the interview for Ottawa in the overall application ?

Correlation is not causation. Perhaps the mediator is those invited earlier received the February 25th date and those invited later were in March. Maybe it went by last name? I would not read into the timestamp of the email, that is making sense of a scenario that has no meaning. 

• 2 years later...
On 1/28/2017 at 6:05 PM, Donald_Duck said:

Mr Duck

Thank you! This is very helpful! Hopefully not too much as changed.