Premed 101 Forums

Skeptical Of Some Sketch Mmi Advice

Someone told me that follow-up questions during an mmi are not evaluated...is it true that the assessor only considers your answer to the question on the door?

MMI evaluation schemes are kept private and can change year-to-year or even station-to-station. Those follow-up questions might not matter, but there's no way to know for any given station and no reason to take the risk they don't. Answer them assuming they'll be marked.

The advice I received was to spend as much of the 8 mins answering the question on the door, because that's where your marks will come from. I know some people go in with the mindset of speaking 2-3 mins and leaving a good chunk of time for follow-up questions. I'm wondering which strategy is appropriate.

MMI evaluation schemes are kept private and can change year-to-year or even station-to-station. Those follow-up questions might not matter, but there's no way to know for any given station and no reason to take the risk they don't. Answer them assuming they'll be marked.

The advice I received was to spend as much of the 8 mins answering the question on the door, because that's where your marks will come from. I know some people go in with the mindset of speaking 2-3 mins and leaving a good chunk of time for follow-up questions. I'm wondering which strategy is appropriate.

Very few MMI questions will require an extensive amount of time to answer well and if follow-up questions are important, the preceptor will generally interrupt as appropriate to give you time to answer those as well. The interviewers want you to do well and aren't expecting you to have timing strategies to do well. If you're trying to time the precise length of your answer, you're overthinking it - in addition to taking mental energy away from where it should be, which is answering the question(s) honestly to the best of your ability and knowledge.

Thank you for this. Much appreciated :)

Very few MMI questions will require an extensive amount of time to answer well and if follow-up questions are important, the preceptor will generally interrupt as appropriate to give you time to answer those as well. The interviewers want you to do well and aren't expecting you to have timing strategies to do well. If you're trying to time the precise length of your answer, you're overthinking it - in addition to taking mental energy away from where it should be, which is answering the question(s) honestly to the best of your ability and knowledge.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived