Premed 101 Forums

Repeated Courses

Bawgg

Hello, I am a third year student and had a question I wanted to ask regarding repeated courses. Now, at york, if one repeats a course, both grades show up on your transcript, but only one of them (the latter) has an actual credit value, the initial attempt at a course will not have any credit value but will still have a grade with a (NCR, no credit retained by it). I know that medschools will look at both attempts but how do I calculate what its effects on my total gpa will be. Do I simply average the two grades, and that is the grade that will be looked at? For example, if I get a "B" on my first attempt and then an "A" on my second, would I calculate my GPA as follows? ((3.0 + 3.8) ÷2) = 3.4. So when it comes to those two courses, that really just have a one course credit value, they will contribute a 3.4 ×1 to my total GPA count? Thank you for your help. I hope I haven't confused you. Thank you

Every school has its own policy on repeat courses. Unfortunately, in most cases, medical schools will only consider the original course and not the repeated class. That is, if you get a "B" on your first attempt and an "A" on the second, your GPA is 3.0 for one credit in the term you took the first attempt.

Critically, most schools will not give you credit for the repeat at all, which could affect your full-time status. If you took a full course load, but one of those courses was a repeated course, schools may not consider you in full-time studies for that year.

Essentially, medical schools will treat repeated courses in the exact opposite way your undergrad program does on your transcript.

Archived