Premed 101 Forums

How Is The Interview Weighted?

Just wondering how much the interview/ GPA/ MCAT is weighted when determining those accepted into the program (coming from someone who just met the MCAT cutoffs :)  ) 

Thanks!

We don't really know. I think there was an old old document floating around saying it is 60%, but take that with a mountain of salt. 

We don't really know. I think there was an old old document floating around saying it is 60%, but take that with a mountain of salt.

There is also an ancient thread on here (more than 5 years ago) where someone said it was 25/25/50 for GPA/MCAT/interview, but like I said it's ancient (and unconfirmed), so sodium content pretty high here too.

There is also an ancient thread on here (more than 5 years ago) where someone said it was 25/25/50 for GPA/MCAT/interview, but like I said it's ancient (and unconfirmed), so sodium content pretty high here too.

that was probably me or at least I have posted something similar - and that information was ancient even back then ha. 

bottom line - we have no clear idea except what we can tangentally extract from the acceptance numbers :) Given enough loose data you still determine patterns. The interview is worth a fair bit at least. 

Plus there is an important point - Western like all medical schools are busy. They are not going to interview someone that has basically no hope of getting in. There is no point. They just screened out literally thousands of people. Remember that when you are going there. It means the interview has to count for a lot as otherwise GPA/MCAT would dominate 

that was probably me or at least I have posted something similar - and that information was ancient even back then ha. 

bottom line - we have no clear idea except what we can tangentally extract from the acceptance numbers :) Given enough loose data you still determine patterns. The interview is worth a fair bit at least. 

Plus there is an important point - Western like all medical schools are busy. They are not going to interview someone that has basically no hope of getting in. There is no point. They just screened out literally thousands of people. Remember that when you are going there. It means the interview has to count for a lot as otherwise GPA/MCAT would dominate 

Exactly! Also, it's better to focus on things you CAN control (like preparing for the interview) than things you cannot control (how much it is weighted)

Archived