Premed 101 Forums

Professional Program Course Load

I'm in a professional undergraduate program at U of T (Radiation Therapy specifically), and because my program has an altered course schedule, I was wondering if anyone would know how GPA and course loads would work when applying via OMSAS. 

I've attached a copy of the course route we take, and it's a mandatory course route for everyone in the program. Does anyone know how it'll affect my application?

2015-Radiation-Therapy-Model-Route.pdf

Hey! I did a professional program undergrad degree as well and there are a few things that you will have to keep in mind for different schools. First, note how many pass/fail classes (or practicums) you have in each year. The summary below assumes you have taken a full course load (pass/fail classes still count as credits)

1. McMaster: Will look at ALL classes (including summer) and will not mind your pass/fail courses or clinical practicums

2. Toronto: Does not look at summer grades. You will be eligible for weighted GPA; however, you must drop pass/fail courses first (ex. If you have 6 pass/fail courses, these will be considered your lowest grades - thus you can only drop 2 "real grades")

3. Queens: Looks at your last 2 years, or cumulative, based on what is higher. There was no problem with Queens for me regarding my pass/fail courses

4. Western: Best 2 years BUT these years MUST have ≤ 2 pass/fail courses. (ex. If your third year has 3 pass/fail courses - this year is NOT eligible). I hit their MCAT cutoffs but my first year was off by 0.01 GPA for an interview, and they were not able to consider my 2nd or 4th year due to this rule!

5. Ottawa: Weighted GPA formula (see their website). For me, since my fourth year was a clinical practicum, they calculated me as if I was a 3-year program.

6. UBC:  All classes but different conversion vs. OMSAS

7. Dalhousie: Treats you as a nursing program and looks at last 20 senior marks

Hope this helps! This information is based on what admissions has told me for this application cycle (2017)

Hey! I did a professional program undergrad degree as well and there are a few things that you will have to keep in mind for different schools. First, note how many pass/fail classes (or practicums) you have in each year. The summary below assumes you have taken a full course load (pass/fail classes still count as credits)

Thanks! The main problem I'm dealing with is that I do take a full 20 credits, but my program splits it up oddly into Fall, Winter and Summer semesters. For example, I did 2.0 credits last summer, all P/F while last Fall semester, I did 3.0 courses, 0.5 P/F and the rest graded. It's super odd.

Thanks! The main problem I'm dealing with is that I do take a full 20 credits, but my program splits it up oddly into Fall, Winter and Summer semesters. For example, I did 2.0 credits last summer, all P/F while last Fall semester, I did 3.0 courses, 0.5 P/F and the rest graded. It's super odd.

I'm doing something similar to you and my program does the same thing. I ended up taking additional courses to fulfill the full course load definition of various schools.

I'm doing something similar to you and my program does the same thing. I ended up taking additional courses to fulfill the full course load definition of various schools.

I can't take any other courses unfortunately; the courses we take are set by our program. I'm going to talk to my registrar and see what I can do. I'll probably talk to OMSAS about it also to see what will happen.

Archived