Premed 101 Forums

Uoft Interview Discussion 2017

• Replies 569
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What happened to the idea of one more offer wave?

After looking at the UofT Interview Discussion 2016 page, it would seem that there's likely to be only one more wave. Anything after that will likely be rejections, or random invites emailed individually. But by the end of this week, I think we'd have passed the bulk of it... 

That said, I predict a wave by Thursday of this week followed by a tonne of rejects, and the occasional invite.

After looking at the UofT Interview Discussion 2016 page, it would seem that there's likely to be only one more wave. Anything after that will likely be rejections, or random invites emailed individually. But by the end of this week, I think we'd have passed the bulk of it... 

That said, I predict a wave by Thursday of this week followed by a tonne of rejects, and the occasional invite.

After seeing everyone here say they finally got their email, I was expecting one too but there's still nothing... I checked my junk folder, my deleted emails folder, and I went through all the read emails in my inbox (again). I know it's the right email because I've gotten emails from other schools and from OMSAS, and I have the email from md.applicants@utoronto.ca sent to us back in December about verification check reminders. 

I'm scared that they tried contacting a verifier and received conflicting information with what I wrote in the sketch or something (although that shouldn't happen and I probably would have gotten a notification if so). As a naturally paranoid person, this is really not helping my nerves :/ 

On the topic of rejections, I'm also really surprised at the stats of people who just received their recent rejection emails. All of them look like solid apps :o

ya after looking at 2016 it's super likely there's going to be several more invite and rejection waves to come

Got a reply. Was right. 

Hi Hammad,

Thank you for your email.

To answer your first question, you are correct – GPA is competitive and therefore the GPA cut-off can vary from year to year.

After the initial file screening takes place, we do create a GPA cut-off based on the competition for that year’s applicant pool to determine who moves forward into the detailed file review. Of course this takes into account undergrad applicants and grad applicants (as GPA cut off may be different), as well as any academic explanations considerations and/or other special considerations.

To answer your second question, academic explanations can be very broad in theme. For example, they may include medical issues, family issues, metal health, socio-economic considerations, etc. I cannot provide detailed samples of these. If you feel like there was/is a situation you encountered or experienced that negatively impacted your education at any point, or you want to tell us why your transcript might not look traditional (e.g. you took part time course work one year, and full time all other years), you should certainly tell us about this on the application. Every academic explanation essay that is submitted is read. Sometimes this leads to a change in how GPA is reviewed, sometimes not. This is case-by-case so I cannot make any predictions on a specific situation or provide examples of past situations where this has happened.

I hope this helps – please let me know if you have further questions.

Kind regards,

Jessie

Jessie Metcalfe

Associate Registrar, Enrolment Management

Enrolment Services – Undergraduate Medical Education

Faculty of Medicine, University of Toronto

1 King's College Circle, Room 2124, Toronto, ON M5S 1A8

Tel: 416-978-2807 | Email: jessie.metcalfe@utoronto.ca

Got a reply. Was right. 

Hi Hammad,

Thank you for your email.

To answer your first question, you are correct – GPA is competitive and therefore the GPA cut-off can vary from year to year.

After the initial file screening takes place, we do create a GPA cut-off based on the competition for that year’s applicant pool to determine who moves forward into the detailed file review. Of course this takes into account undergrad applicants and grad applicants (as GPA cut off may be different), as well as any academic explanations considerations and/or other special considerations.

To answer your second question, academic explanations can be very broad in theme. For example, they may include medical issues, family issues, metal health, socio-economic considerations, etc. I cannot provide detailed samples of these. If you feel like there was/is a situation you encountered or experienced that negatively impacted your education at any point, or you want to tell us why your transcript might not look traditional (e.g. you took part time course work one year, and full time all other years), you should certainly tell us about this on the application. Every academic explanation essay that is submitted is read. Sometimes this leads to a change in how GPA is reviewed, sometimes not. This is case-by-case so I cannot make any predictions on a specific situation or provide examples of past situations where this has happened.

I hope this helps – please let me know if you have further questions.

Kind regards,

Jessie

Jessie Metcalfe

Associate Registrar, Enrolment Management

Enrolment Services – Undergraduate Medical Education

Faculty of Medicine, University of Toronto

1 King's College Circle, Room 2124, Toronto, ON M5S 1A8

Tel: 416-978-2807 | Email: jessie.metcalfe@utoronto.ca

That "metal" health thing sounds pretty bad

Applications that don't meet the yearly GPA cut off that is determined by the pool are rejected right at the start of the invite/rejection waves as they don't proceed on to file review, right? I'm just trying to determine if my GPA therefore does meet this mystery cut off if I haven't heard anything yet.

• Leon unpinned this topic

Archived