Premed 101 Forums

Uoft Interview Discussion 2017

• Replies 569
  • Created
  • Last Reply

that's basically saying that anything is possible if you still haven't heard...

Not really; it takes away (or at least somewhat circumvents) the possibility of having been rejected a month ago

Considering that a batch of rejections and invites just recently came out on Monday and Tuesday respectively, it would be unlikely that your file has already been reviewed and that U of T is waiting until the next batch of emails to notify you. Most likely, everyone that is still waiting to hear back is currently having their file reviewed, or their file is in a subsequent "to be reviewed" pile. Therefore, while either a rejection or invite is possible for each person still waiting, there is still hope fro everyone and just because you haven't heard back yet doesn't automatically mean you are rejected this year. For the time being, try to stay optimistic, focus yourself on the interviews you've already got, on school work, or on employment/volunteering.

Considering that a batch of rejections and invites just recently came out on Monday and Tuesday respectively, it would be unlikely that your file has already been reviewed and that U of T is waiting until the next batch of emails to notify you. Most likely, everyone that is still waiting to hear back is currently having their file reviewed, or their file is in a subsequent "to be reviewed" pile. Therefore, while either a rejection or invite is possible for each person still waiting, there is still hope fro everyone and just because you haven't heard back yet doesn't automatically mean you are rejected this year. For the time being, try to stay optimistic, focus yourself on the interviews you've already got, on school work, or on employment/volunteering.

This is true but there would also be a group that has been saved from previous batches in case they are stronger compared to future batches reviewed. 

This is true but there would also be a group that has been saved from previous batches in case they are stronger compared to future batches reviewed. 

It's not statistically probable that one batch is (collectively) significantly stronger (or weaker) than the average batch. It's essentially as if a simple random sample of the N=1800 file review pool is taken each time, and thus the competitiveness of each batch or 'sample', as it were, is expected to be representative of the mean competitiveness of applicant pool at the file review stage, or the 'population.' Statistical anomalies may perhaps be saved; however, as these are few and far between, it is likely that only few (if any) applications are given such consideration. 

It's not statistically probable that one batch is (collectively) significantly stronger (or weaker) than the average batch. It's essentially as if a simple random sample of the N=1800 file review pool is taken each time, and thus the competitiveness of each batch or 'sample', as it were, is expected to be representative of the mean competitiveness of applicant pool at the file review stage, or the 'population.' Statistical anomalies may perhaps be saved; however, as these are few and far between, it is likely that only few (if any) applications are given such consideration.

so another vote in the if you haven't heard yet you're not reviewed yet pile

Interesting observation; anecdotally, I've noticed the same thing. However: "Interview dates are assigned at random as files are reviewed" - since we know that interview dates for a corresponding wave are all the same (or at least for the same timeframe/weekend), the "random" aspect must come at the batch collection stage  (i.e. a handful of files are selected at random to be reviewed). Alphabetization is not random. 

Definitely not alphabetical, I know several of my friends who got invites a few days ago who had different last names than I. A good majority seemed to be graduate students though. 

They definitely just take time to review them and as the reviewers finish them they probably give them to the enrolment office and then they send out emails. Really convinced that they follow no pattern or anything like that, they just review --> send.

At least thats MO

I think the next wave will be a rejection

I feel the opposite. This late in the cycle, I feel as if there will likely be one last largish wave to fill the remaining April interview spots. Following that wave, I believe that there will be about a week's wait on U of T's part in order to allow everyone sent invites to either confirm or refuse/reschedule their interview date. Then once all interviews are confirmed, I expect a large rejection wave for anyone who is still waiting by that point. This all being said, I feel an invite wave at some point next week, and then a rejection wave the subsequent week.

I feel the opposite. This late in the cycle, I feel as if there will likely be one last largish wave to fill the remaining April interview spots. Following that wave, I believe that there will be about a week's wait on U of T's part in order to allow everyone sent invites to either confirm or refuse/reschedule their interview date. Then once all interviews are confirmed, I expect a large rejection wave for anyone who is still waiting by that point. This all being said, I feel an invite wave at some point next week, and then a rejection wave the subsequent week.

Hopefully you are right :) 

Best of luck!

Any thoughts on how graduate students are assessed in the absence of a first author pub?

I've also been wondering this. The language on the website implies that graduate students will undergo separate review if they have show substantial productivity, including "at least one first author publication". I'm not sure if this means that graduate students without a first author pub would be assessed as undergraduate applicants. What do others think?

From the website:

"In some cases, graduate applicants may undergo a separate graduate application review if you are able to demonstrate substantial productivity on your academic CV. Aside from presentations, posters and conferences, we are looking to see if you have completed at least one first author publication."

I've also been wondering this. The language on the website implies that graduate students will undergo separate review if they have show substantial productivity, including "at least one first author publication". I'm not sure if this means that graduate students without a first author pub would be assessed as undergraduate applicants. What do others think?

From the website:

"In some cases, graduate applicants may undergo a separate graduate application review if you are able to demonstrate substantial productivity on your academic CV. Aside from presentations, posters and conferences, we are looking to see if you have completed at least one first author publication."

I previously copy and pasted this from their website "In some cases, graduate applicants may undergo a separate graduate application review if you are able to demonstrate substantial productivity on your academic CV. Aside from presentations, posters and conferences, we are looking to see if you have completed at least one first author publication. When applying to the MD Program after completing a one or two year course-based Master’s program, you will likely be assessed as an undergraduate applicant." 

I can't find it on their site anymore, not sure what that means

I previously copy and pasted this from their website "In some cases, graduate applicants may undergo a separate graduate application review if you are able to demonstrate substantial productivity on your academic CV. Aside from presentations, posters and conferences, we are looking to see if you have completed at least one first author publication. When applying to the MD Program after completing a one or two year course-based Master’s program, you will likely be assessed as an undergraduate applicant." 

I can't find it on their site anymore, not sure what that means

it's still on their website if you expand the Graduate Applicants section here: http://md.utoronto.ca/academic-requirements

• Leon unpinned this topic

Archived