Premed 101 Forums

Uoft Interview Discussion 2017

How do you guys cope with this waiting. I'm finding harder to focus on my lab work.

SSRI's and barbiturates... in all seriousness though I (try) to bury myself in my work/other engagements to take my mind off of it; for some odd reason it's actually enhanced my performance lol.

• Replies 569
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My wGPA is <3.8 and I'm not a grad applicant. Still haven't gotten a rejection so this is very strange for me. Do I have any hope lol?

Im 3.8 wgpa on the dot and I havent heard back either. I think were in a no-mans land of being just more competitive than some applicants, but not quite there. So id say wed be second chances if someone were to drop their interview. Hopefully i am wrong and we both get interviews though!

Does anyone know how U of T med actually processes our applications?

I am assuming it is completely different from McMaster and Queens which use a normal ranking scheme - i.e., review everyone's applications, rank, then invite top 500-600.

I heard something about batches, but don't really understand it...i.e., is my application only ranked relative to those in my batch?

Does anyone know how U of T med actually processes our applications?

I am assuming it is completely different from McMaster and Queens which use a normal ranking scheme - i.e., review everyone's applications, rank, then invite top 500-600.

I heard something about batches, but don't really understand it...i.e., is my application only ranked relative to those in my batch?

So essentially theres a first cut thats made based on gpa and mcat. From there detailed file reviews are done. Those are done in batches. So essentially each reviewer is given a stack and they review them and once theyre reviewed they send out the invites or rejections are sent out. However, there are some applicants that have pretty high gpas and so theyre kind of competitive but not as competitive as the interviewed people so they wont be rejected right away. Instead theyre held onto till the end in case the latter batches were just not as competitive. Someone posted a video by uoft giving a detailed overview of their review process, so you may want to scroll through to find it.

Does anyone know what UofT's deal is? Do they ACTUALLY send out rejections on a rolling basis, or do they hold onto them and give us all false hope? If we havent heard anything at this stage in the game, are we simply not a priority for full file review? Should we take it to mean little to no hope remaining? The silence is killing me.

If one thing is clear in all 12 pages of this discussion is that no one has any idea how UofT goes about their invites and rejections, and frankly we will probably never know. It's frustrating, but all you can do is be patient and don't count yourself out until you get a rejection email. Just relax and enjoy life in the meantime :)

I just wanted to add to the above comments (from a friend of mine who was a 4th year on last year's admissions committee), that if you have not heard back yet, it literally means that they have not gotten to you yet. Its not an especially good or bad sign either way. Good luck! 

I just wanted to add to the above comments (from a friend of mine who was a 4th year on last year's admissions committee), that if you have not heard back yet, it literally means that they have not gotten to you yet. Its not an especially good or bad sign either way. Good luck!

thanks!

4th year student here. This is true- some reviewers were busy with CaRMS/traveling so some files not reviewed yet. I know it's hard but don't read into it too much, everyone will hear back eventually. Good luck to you all, look forward to meeting some of you soon!

• Leon unpinned this topic

Archived