Premed 101 Forums

Uoft Interviews Invite 2017

As we all know, GPA > DAT score.  Perhaps that's how this individual catered their studying.  Without knowing the full background story, it's somewhat ignorant to make such a broad claim.

Very fair point. Except I made no claim, and asked what uni the individual attended before making any assumptions.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I totally understand your frustration, especially given the competition in this whole process. 

However, does having a score >22 really say much about one's intelligence or diligence? That could literally be the difference between guessing a few plant questions or pipet vs buret chem questions. 

I for one took a joke undergraduate degree (and by no means do people consider me naturally smart, my GPA is lower than 3.99) and I scored higher than a 22AA (this it not to brag but just to provide a context). Honestly I feel like in the realm of scores >20, I lot of it is just luck, and it's a bit unnecessary to make generalized claims/attacks 

Thanks for the input, and good point. But, more of my frustration is this- High school kids, without even knowing what it's like to be a health professional, pursue a degree in "easier" university because they have their future "planned out". I'm against this kind of mentality, and against the system that allows it, and perpetuating effect as more people use this loop hole. I dont want to bet my health or life on individuals who actively avoided facing academic or intellectual challenges, just to find an easier pathway to the goal point.

EDIT: Didn't even know RC was part of AA... 

Yeah but undergrad isnt about intellect it is all about diligence! i have a 3.97 not because im smart but because im diligent. I know kids that go to community colleges and have gotten into dentistry. Its just being smart and realizing that your university prestige doesnt matter, your stats do. I myself went to a smaller university but i know 6 people in this past year that have gotten into the prestigious universities in the dental faculty!

Yeah but undergrad isnt about intellect it is all about diligence! i have a 3.97 not because im smart but because im diligent. I know kids that go to community colleges and have gotten into dentistry. Its just being smart and realizing that your university prestige doesnt matter, your stats do. I myself went to a smaller university but i know 6 people in this past year that have gotten into the prestigious universities in the dental facultYou

You're humble- it's both!

If one's primary focus is getting better stats so it's better for THEM to get into dentistry, they need to re-evaluate their motive. Health professional is not about oneself, it's about caring for others. You work and prepare for others who are in need of medical care. If one decides to pursue an easier pathway in the potential expense of future patients, I argue against it. It's the mentality and the motive of the process that concerns me, not the process itself. I support community colleges and who work hard to thrive

I can already tell that you will be a subpar health professional. Interviewers will see it in you- good luck trying to get in for multiple years.

I'm going to be subpar professional because I dropped the F bomb on a forum? Ha okay, says the person who's making judgements left right and centre about someone's DAT score. Trust me I could rip into you right now but I won't.

Wow 3.99 gpa but only 22AA. Which university did you attend?

Listen buddy. I have similar stats and I studied a week before the DAT. Maybe he did the same. If someone has a GPA that high, why would they waste time to obtain a crazy high DAT score when their GPA easily offsets their DAT. I would assume he's smart because he's strategic. Unlike you who thinks going to UofT for undergrad makes you smarter for standing up to unnecessary "academic challenges" that might cause you to study 2 years extra to achieve your dreams. We will all go through the same struggles in dental school and we will all graduate as equally competent dentists. Let's see if your extremely hard histology class in UofT undergrad will make you a better clinician than me. 

You're humble- it's both!

If one's primary focus is getting better stats so it's better for THEM to get into dentistry, they need to re-evaluate their motive. Health professional is not about oneself, it's about caring for others. You work and prepare for others who are in need of medical care. If one decides to pursue an easier pathway in the potential expense of future patients, I argue against it. It's the mentality and the motive of the process that concerns me, not the process itself. I support community colleges and who work hard to thrive

Someone's "mentality and motive" is at question is at motive if they score in the 80-85th percentile? Yeah health care professionals have to "care about others", but they also have to understand other people's living situations, resources, and education level. All of which you fail to identify as possible reasons for what you alone consider a low AA.

Smarten up, or your futur3 is definitely unkn0wn hahaha

Not unfortunate to me- unfortunate to her future patients and the institution for missing out on better candidates who are more genuine in pursuing in dentistry, than someone who is chasing money and has an abrupt, temper emotions even from a simple comment she misinterpreted.

But you're right, 22AA is high and I did come out pretty cold and blunt. But, as an individual who pursued undergrad degree in one of the "harder" universities, these things sort of frustrate me. They should weigh standardized test a little bit higher, to attenuate the loop hole of going to an "easier" university simply to get higher GPA- which, in the future, won't guarantee a better, more intellectual, or a diligent health professional

Chasing money? Hahaha where the hell did that come from? Please kid, sit down

Chasing money? Hahaha where the hell did that come from? Please kid, sit down

Although unkn0wn may be judgemental, he/she does have a point in the fact that you reacted rather abruptly. There's no need to continue throwing insults. You already got into dental school! Go out and enjoy life and don't waste your time on this forum anymore.  :) A lot of us would want to be in your shoes.

Very fair point. Except I made no claim, and asked what uni the individual attended before making any assumptions.

You already made assumptions when you said "only 22 AA." As others have already stated, people will get into dental school in the most efficient way, and in the end, everyone will graduate with the same skills. You may pride yourself in pursuing a more rigorous program but dental schools (at least the ones in Canada) clearly don't care about that. I completely understand where you're coming from though, in terms of how different each school's standards are, but the DAT really doesn't seem standardized at all either (one year a 22 will be 95th percentile and another it will be 85th). So it seems like some schools are already changing their admission criteria to a more holistic approach to counteract this, focusing on extracurriculars and how well-rounded you are as a person. Hopefully this is what you see as a step in the right direction, as clearly GPA and DAT don't necessarily represent how good of a dentist you will become.

Have you also thought about what your comments might have done to the original poster? He/she has 1 post, and you may have intimidated him/her to the point where they won't want to post anything on this forum anymore. Of course, that depends on his/her own hardiness. But as someone who is preaching about becoming a proficient, intellectual health professional, and criticizing others for lacking certain characteristics, it seems like you yourself lack a bit of EQ.

Although unkn0wn may be judgemental, he/she does have a point in the fact that you reacted rather abruptly. There's no need to continue throwing insults. You already got into dental school! Go out and enjoy life and don't waste your time on this forum anymore.  :) A lot of us would want to be in your shoes.

You already made assumptions when you said "only 22 AA." As others have already stated, people will get into dental school in the most efficient way, and in the end, everyone will graduate with the same skills. You may pride yourself in pursuing a more rigorous program but dental schools (at least the ones in Canada) clearly don't care about that. I completely understand where you're coming from though, in terms of how different each school's standards are, but the DAT really doesn't seem standardized at all either (one year a 22 will be 95th percentile and another it will be 85th). So it seems like some schools are already changing their admission criteria to a more holistic approach to counteract this, focusing on extracurriculars and how well-rounded you are as a person. Hopefully this is what you see as a step in the right direction, as clearly GPA and DAT don't necessarily represent how good of a dentist you will become.

Have you also thought about what your comments might have done to the original poster? He/she has 1 post, and you may have intimidated him/her to the point where they won't want to post anything on this forum anymore. Of course, that depends on his/her own hardiness. But as someone who is preaching about becoming a proficient, intellectual health professional, and criticizing others for lacking certain characteristics, it seems like you yourself lack a bit of EQ.

Lol this isn't about me and my success, this individual made unfair judgements not only about the original poster, but about me as well. Im not attacking anyone, I'm just defending myself. 

Someone's "mentality and motive" is at question is at motive if they score in the 80-85th percentile? Yeah health care professionals have to "care about others", but they also have to understand other people's living situations, resources, and education level. All of which you fail to identify as possible reasons for what you alone consider a low AA.

Smarten up, or your futur3 is definitely unkn0wn hahaha

Pretty sure you've mastered search and destroy method because you're lacking reading comprehension skills.

It's not "care about others", it's care about others. Also "living situations, resources, and education level", has nothing to do with concerning motive, which is what I was focusing on. 

Again, lacking reading comprehension skill again- Never did I say 22AA is "low". Scroll up

You got in, but future is still unkn0wn LOL take a water break and calm your salty ass down :')

Pretty sure you've mastered search and destroy method because you're lacking reading comprehension skills.

It's not "care about others", it's care about others. Also "living situations, resources, and education level", has nothing to do with concerning motive, which I was focusing on. 

Again, lack reading comprehension skill again- Never did I say 22AA is low

Your future is still unkn0wn LOL take a water break and calm your salty ass down :')

You had to go into my post history to find dirt on me? Goes to show how you ran out of things to say

I was pointing out living situations, resources, and education level ARE things that you failed to recognize as potential reasons for what you considered a sub-par AA. You said id be a crappy health care professional, so you're the one showing a lack of judgement

You're right, my future is unknown. Not as unknown as yours, though

asking a question is judging?

dictionary.com

Asking a question is not judging... BUT, heres what is judging

-saying id be a bad healthcare professional without knowing who I really am

-saying I'm chasing money

-saying the original poster's 90th percentile DAT score is sub-par for their GPA.

Haha first the original poster's AA and now my RC? What is with you using peoples DAT scores to judge them? 

I feel like this has really gotten out of hand, and it would probably be best if you guys argued it out over PM because it really derailed the topic for those who actually want to know information about U of T's interview stats for 2021....

​However, I will say that, as a dental student, I never once looked down on my classmates who took "easier paths" or "easier universities." In the end, we are all in dental school and they are just as worthy of being here as I am. Most of them are smarter than me anyways. 

I went to U of A for undergrad (biochemistry spec, in case you think I took some "easy path") and dental school with a GPA of 4.00. But I got one of the lowest DAT scores....does that make me unworthy of going? No. Because I panicked on my only DAT writing and messed up for one second during a 30 minute soap carving.....

I think you are forgetting that although an "easier" university gives you the OPPORTUNITY to give you a higher GPA, the DAT basically GUARENTEES you an exceptional AA if you are willing to invest money and time into re-writing it over 10x, whereas your GPA can permanently change just from 1-2 bad courses.

Maybe upper years can correct me but I just want to say that dental school is about working smarter, not harder. You will burn yourself out if you constantly want to "know everything in lecture" and be the best just to prove that you want/deserve the position the most. Most pre-dents go in with that mentality and DDS Y1 is very rough on those individuals.

Asking a question is not judging... BUT, heres what is judging

-saying id be a bad healthcare professional without knowing who I really am

-saying I'm chasing money

-saying the original poster's 90th percentile DAT score is sub-par for their GPA.

Haha first the original poster's AA and now my RC? What is with you using peoples DAT scores to judge them? 

You had to go into my post history to find dirt on me? Goes to show how you ran out of things to say

I was pointing out living situations, resources, and education level ARE things that you failed to recognize as potential reasons for what you considered a sub-par AA. You said id be a crappy health care professional, so you're the one showing a lack of judgement

You're right, my future is unknown. Not as unknown as yours, though

-that came after you said "fuck yourself" at our very first encounter, when I simply asked him what uni he went to. Triggered for no reason calm down get a cup of water

-you did say " 22AA is money"

- It's not judging- it's observation on a fact, based on the general pattern. Check the relative average stats.

And who said I went through your post history? LMAO. And with your abruptive emotional state, yes I'd judge you'd be a health professional who would would also lack understanding towards patients.

You're defending yourself? LOOL your literal first comment towards me was fuck yourself

Your entire attack on her is because of those 2 words, which I probably would have said if she didn't haha. You're like one of those hecklers that get schooled by the comedian, and in this case the entire audience is on her side. 

Archived