Premed 101 Forums

Uoft Interviews Invite 2017

Your entire attack on her is because of those 2 words, which I probably would have said if she didn't haha. You're like one of those hecklers that get schooled by the comedian, and in this case the entire audience is on her side. 

Well, the cause of a forest fire may be a spark :) You get what you give (often amplified).

->Ask a rather serious question 

->people get offended and rage

welcome to 2017

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think so. I think they just wanted a larger interview pool to choose applicants (someone correct me if I'm wrong)

But if people actually did end up withdrawing their acceptance, it only makes sense that they'd have a waitlist to pick from in order to fill up the seats, no?

I think UWO may fill vacant spots. In the document they sent us they told us to reply ASAP so that open spots can be given to other applicants if needed

A friend of mine gave them a call and they said not this year. They haven't kept any sort of a waitlist and will interview less than 200 if it comes to it.

A friend of mine gave them a call and they said not this year. They haven't kept any sort of a waitlist and will interview less than 200 if it comes to it.

I heard the same.

Anyone know how long the interview will be? I'm kind of getting nervous for next week, interview is less than a week away :(

Not unfortunate to me- unfortunate to her future patients and the institution for missing out on better candidates who are more genuine in pursuing in dentistry, than someone who is chasing money and has an abrupt, temper emotions even from a simple comment she misinterpreted. 

But you're right, 22AA is high and I did come out pretty cold and blunt. But, as an individual who pursued undergrad degree in one of the "harder" universities, these things sort of frustrate me. They should weigh standardized test a little bit higher, to attenuate the loop hole of going to an "easier" university simply to get higher GPA- which, in the future, won't guarantee a better, more intellectual, or a diligent health professional

GPA means nothing. Anyone getting into dental school with a decent GPA has the ability to memorize the knowledge required to be a competent dentist (with enough hard work). I've seen very high GPA students be dogshit at dentistry and low GPA students do great work inside the mouth, and everything in between. Hand skills are everything. Doesn't matter if you have eidetic memory if you mangle the tooth every time you pick up a drill. To think that having a 3.8 "lower" GPA will somehow be unfortunate for the patients is incorrect, you have a poor understanding of dentistry. I can see how it would be more applicable to non-surgical related fields like internal medicine, but for fields requiring surgical skills... I would much rather have someone who can actually do the work well.

GPA means nothing. Anyone getting into dental school with a decent GPA has the ability to memorize the knowledge required to be a competent dentist (with enough hard work). I've seen very high GPA students be dogshit at dentistry and low GPA students do great work inside the mouth, and everything in between. Hand skills are everything. Doesn't matter if you have eidetic memory if you mangle the tooth every time you pick up a drill. To think that having a 3.8 "lower" GPA will somehow be unfortunate for the patients is incorrect, you have a poor understanding of dentistry. I can see how it would be more applicable to non-surgical related fields like internal medicine, but for fields requiring surgical skills... I would much rather have someone who can actually do the work well.

No, GPA does NOT mean nothing lmao. (BIt of extreme, unrealistic exaggeration there on your part). My point was this- and I will explain it one last time because people are having such a difficult time understanding it. People who went to easier school will have higher GPA, and potentially snatch the seats from those with the same or better capabilities (ex. visual acuity/hand motor-coordination). That was it. Simple and sraightfoward. And please go back and read why I said the patients would be "unfortunate". Seems like its not that I have a poor understanding of dentistry, but rather you have a poor understanding of this entire conversation

EDIT: ps. Didn't even know RC was part of AA... 

No, GPA does NOT mean nothing lmao. (BIt of extreme, unrealistic exaggeration there on your part). My point was this- and I will explain it one last time because people are having such a difficult time understanding it. People who went to easier school will have higher GPA, and potentially snatch the seats from those with the same or better capabilities (ex. visual acuity/hand motor-coordination). That was it. Simple and sraightfoward. And please go back and read why I said the patients would be "unfortunate". Seems like its not that I have a poor understanding of dentistry, but rather you have a poor understanding of this entire conversation

*yawns

I hoped that it was clear saying "GPA doesn't matter at all" was an overexaggeration. My point was that GPA has no correlation whatsoever to visual acuity or motor coordination, which are (or at least, should be) much more valued in dentistry. It doesn't really matter if the other person got a higher GPA from the other school or you got a higher GPA from a better school (McMcaster is not that much harder than other schools so stop putting yourself on a pedestal, man. Only U of T students get to gripe about that). No one has an idea of whether or not they'll be a good dentist. Anyone who can achieve a decent GPA at any school should be able to obtain the proper knowledge for being a dentist with enough hard work.

I've found that students like you who gripe about this kind of thing, and take so much pride about them having their GPA be "worth more" and say other people don't deserve as high a GPA tend to be the worst kind of dental student. The type that skips class to book patients, to get an upper hand. The kind that staggers and delays their exams with sick notes. The kind that cuts other people down to raise their class rank, and the kind that does underhanded shit to get more cases in clinic. They rarely care about actual learning but just rote memorization for a high mark. Complaining the loudest about something "BEING ON THE TEST WHEN YOU SAID IT WOULDN'T BE ON THE TEST". These students end up just caring about the NUMBER. The GPA. The number of crowns done. The number of fillings done. Pushing to get lab cases approved "so I don't have to waste time booking another cubicle". You won't be a better clinician, you're going to be a more neurotic one.

Archived