Premed 101 Forums

Doing A Masters During Medical School

On 3/11/2020 at 8:39 AM, 1D7 said:

Curious, was your program supportive of your leave for 2-3+ years?

I understand you are a ED physician, which is a field that is supposed to have plentiful jobs everywhere (or at least relative compared to many medical/surgical specialties). Did you feel like it has added much value to your work or finding a job?

Good question. 

My residency program fully supported me. Modified clinical load etc. Because of grants (most not from my program) and so on I didn’t pay a cent out of pocket for the degree. So basically I was paid to go to school in residency. It was a great time. This is not all that uncommon in RCPSC emergency medicine programs.  

My second masters was after residency. I got that one largely paid for as well, funny enough my first masters enabled this. But a reduced work load was not possible. By this time I needed the staff physician income and asking my colleagues to cover me for a reduced work load so early in my career wasn’t an ideal option. It was a grind. I would not do it that way again in hindsight. This second masters however did fold directly into a  new part time gig very separate from my medical work. So there was some immediate doors opened through obtaining it. 

I work at an academic site. I think the masters I obtained in residency certainly assisted my job prospects. Jobs at popular academic sites are getting tighter. The masters wasn’t the end all be all. You don’t NEED it to get an academic position. But I’m certainly under the impression it helped. A significant proportion of my colleagues do hold a graduate degree, especially those who joined in more recent times.

Edited by rogerroger

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/18/2020 at 11:51 PM, eggowafflerecall said:

I'm a preclerk and applied to a masters at Cambridge with the support of my school. I got an offer.

Main thing holding me back is finances and unlikely to receive anything anyway. With tuition and living expenses, the program is 60k all in. I have pre-existing debt from before med but luckily haven't had to use my LOC as of yet, just provincial loans. My debt load isn't too high (yet).

The degree would be useful in academia but it's obviously not essential to become a physician and have the career I want. It's just been a dream of mine for years and it's nice to see it come true. Faculty are encouraging me to pursue it even if I have to pay my way. I'm not sure that is wise.

It seems from this thread that I could possibly defer it until later but it doesn't seem ideal to take a year off from residency or even as a staff...thoughts?

how long is your Master program? I have a friend who did the same thing went to Oxford for a master program, last thing that I Heard that he switched completely out of medicine. It's really up to you. Can you do a combined MD-MSc without adding on more years?

I am all for postgraduate degrees, but at one point, it's better to enter the workforce considering that we have all been studying nonstop for awhile. 

On 3/30/2020 at 4:18 AM, LittleDaisy said:

how long is your Master program? I have a friend who did the same thing went to Oxford for a master program, last thing that I Heard that he switched completely out of medicine. It's really up to you. Can you do a combined MD-MSc without adding on more years?

I am all for postgraduate degrees, but at one point, it's better to enter the workforce considering that we have all been studying nonstop for awhile. 

deleted

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Total Gunner said:

Hey. How is the masters going? What is it on and how did you find the time to do it? Was it worth it? Woud you recommend?

That one was a masters of education - so process one course at a time ha. But I should have it done soon. 

I think if you are academically focused like I am then some form of a masters to declare your interest in an area is a good thing. It opened a lot of doors that otherwise would have been harder to reach. There are other ways of getting there of course, but this path worked for me!