Premed 101 Forums

How To Stay Motivated In The Face Of Rejections

To any other people who have been rejected many times, how do you stay motivated?  interviewed at a number of institutions last year and was rejected by all. I received more than three times as many interviews this year, however, I've only been rejected thus far and I'm worried that this year will be a more expensive, depressing repeat of least year. 

I'm finding it hard to not take rejections personally, because I've been told that I have a stellar CV (by my interviewers) and yet I've only received rejections. It makes me feel like there is something fundamentally wrong with me that evaluators can't shake when they meet me in person.

It's not that feel entitled, but it's easy to get my hopes up after being invited to interview.  

If anyone else has been in this situation, how did you cope with it? 

I think you are right in considering that there may be a problem at the interview stage, considering that you seem to have no problems getting interviews. It sounds like you have been exposed to both traditional interview and MMI, have you had a chance to practice both with people you trust to be brutally honest about your performance (I don't mean paying a company)?

I coped with past rejections by thinking of all the things I still want to do (finish my undergrad, travel, work, invest in personal wellbeing, etc.) and accept that maybe this just isn't the right time yet. 

To any other people who have been rejected many times, how do you stay motivated?  interviewed at a number of institutions last year and was rejected by all. I received more than three times as many interviews this year, however, I've only been rejected thus far and I'm worried that this year will be a more expensive, depressing repeat of least year. 

I'm finding it hard to not take rejections personally, because I've been told that I have a stellar CV (by my interviewers) and yet I've only received rejections. It makes me feel like there is something fundamentally wrong with me that evaluators can't shake when they meet me in person.

It's not that feel entitled, but it's easy to get my hopes up after being invited to interview.  

Im curious at what schools they told you "have a stellar CV" - i thought most schools were closed file or mmi, where it would never even come up? 

I think you are right in considering that there may be a problem at the interview stage, considering that you seem to have no problems getting interviews. It sounds like you have been exposed to both traditional interview and MMI, have you had a chance to practice both with people you trust to be brutally honest about your performance (I don't mean paying a company)?

I coped with past rejections by thinking of all the things I still want to do (finish my undergrad, travel, work, invest in personal wellbeing, etc.) and accept that maybe this just isn't the right time yet. 

I've had some experience with this yes. My main problem last year was that I was very nervous and my answers were disorganized because of it. This year I've practiced with a number of people this year and have been told that I've improved significantly. I do find that I have a hard time thinking of appropriate examples on the spot. 

I've had some experience with this yes. My main problem last year was that I was very nervous and my answers were disorganized because of it. This year I've practiced with a number of people this year and have been told that I've improved significantly. I do find that I have a hard time thinking of appropriate examples on the spot. 

My very generic advice is just to really try to think of it like a conversation rather than a test where you need appropriate answers. That helped me with nerves a fair bit. 

Hi Curiousaboutapps1,

I have no doubt that you are a stellar applicant. It is not that you won't make a good doctor, it is because they have very limited spots. Perseverance pays off. Keep applying and hopefully you will receive good news soon :)

I know so many people who had to go through the interviews 3 times before they got in. Are there any difficulties that you faced during interviews last year? Can you work on any weakness in the remaining time? 

I recommend that you have a lot of stories for U of Ottawa interviews, and be flexible when you are using them to answer the questions. Do you have your personal stories prepared? Although I don't have an interview at U of Ottawa, as I was prepping for my interviews, I had a document with over 15 stories that I can use as I see fit, depending on the question.

Best of Luck in your upcoming University of Ottawa interviews :)

Ottawa interviewers told me that during my interview

Right, ok.

The thing to remember, that pretty much everyone who is at the interview stage is a qualified applicant, and at that point you can just think of it as random chance- theres only X number of seats but perhaps 2x or even 3x number of interviewees. Sure some people may interview better than others, but really with all the variation, that isn't something you have as much control of as you think. I like to think I am a strong interviewer, but it just so lined up that the people who interviewed me were receptive to my style.  It could just have well happened that it didn't line up, and perhaps I wouldn't have had an edge in the interview, and not be in medical school.

i'm just cautious for people to think something is going wrong at the interview stage, when there is a significant amount of luck and it is only the first or even 2nd attempt. Unless of course you are interviewing year after year, and still not getting in - then its either extremely bad luck(think the holes of the swiss cheese lining up), or it is in fact an issue with the applicants interview skills. 

Right, ok.

The thing to remember, that pretty much everyone who is at the interview stage is a qualified applicant, and at that point you can just think of it as random chance- theres only X number of seats but perhaps 2x or even 3x number of interviewees. Sure some people may interview better than others, but really with all the variation, that isn't something you have as much control of as you think. I like to think I am a strong interviewer, but it just so lined up that the people who interviewed me were receptive to my style.  It could just have well happened that it didn't line up, and perhaps I wouldn't have had an edge in the interview, and not be in medical school.

i'm just cautious for people to think something is going wrong at the interview stage, when there is a significant amount of luck and it is only the first or even 2nd attempt. Unless of course you are interviewing year after year, and still not getting in - then its either extremely bad luck(think the holes of the swiss cheese lining up), or it is in fact an issue with the applicants interview skills. 

Well they did say that they had interviewed at a number of institutions last year and this year and received all rejections. Perhaps I over estimated, but I interpreted this to mean that they have been rejected from at least ~5 med schools post interview, which in my opinion is enough to start questioning interview skills

Seems like an interviewing issue, or perhaps just bad luck. How are you practicing for interviews? Perhaps look to groups that can give you an objective evaluation on your performance (premed groups on campus or toastmasters), or maybe a consulting company (be cautious of these though).

Can definitely relate to the "something is wrong with me" feeling. However...you are already ahead of the game having received interview invites. Stay connected with peers and colleagues, and continue to live out life...sometimes, it's hard to remind ourselves that life doesn't revolve around med apps. You seem like a great candidate, and I would be thinking not "if", but "when".

Hi Curiousaboutapps1,

I have no doubt that you are a stellar applicant. It is not that you won't make a good doctor, it is because they have very limited spots. Perseverance pays off. Keep applying and hopefully you will receive good news soon :)

I know so many people who had to go through the interviews 3 times before they got in. Are there any difficulties that you faced during interviews last year? Can you work on any weakness in the remaining time?

I recommend that you have a lot of stories for U of Ottawa interviews, and be flexible when you are using them to answer the questions. Do you have your personal stories prepared? Although I don't have an interview at U of Ottawa, as I was prepping for my interviews, I had a document with over 15 stories that I can use as I see fit, depending on the question.

Best of Luck in your upcoming University of Ottawa interviews :)

I recently interviewed as well and found it really difficult in my traditional interview to add and tie in my experiences. My interview was traditional style and I had stories prepared, but found that I didn't have many questions in which I could discuss my life/personal stories. Due to this, I simply mentioned them in the couple (maximum two) personal Qs that they asked. Do you have any advice on how one can add stories to questions that are less personal...almost MMI or situational based questions?

Edit: I elaborated on them a couple of times, but didn't discuss the vast majority of experiences I wanted to :/

Well they did say that they had interviewed at a number of institutions last year and this year and received all rejections. Perhaps I over estimated, but I interpreted this to mean that they have been rejected from at least ~5 med schools post interview, which in my opinion is enough to start questioning interview skills

Ah yes good point, completely mis-read and thought they only got rejections last year!

I don't know. I have been rejected for Medicine twice, even if I'm currently studying in Pharmacy. I always did my best in order to get perfect marks, but now I'm just totally unmotivated. It just feels like they don't like the fact I'm a pure introvert.

Take some time to accept it, be self-critical but don't take rejection personally, see what needs to be done to come back stronger, do it, reapply. If it's grades or MCAT, easy. If it's extracurriculars, easy. If it's communication skills, interviewing skills, personality, you've got a year to fix that. You're applying to medical school, not the NBA. It's competitive but it's doable. I got rejected several times and that's how I took it, although some years were much harder to digest than others. 

Take some time to accept it, be self-critical but don't take rejection personally, see what needs to be done to come back stronger, do it, reapply. If it's grades or MCAT, easy. If it's extracurriculars, easy. If it's communication skills, interviewing skills, personality, you've got a year to fix that. You're applying to medical school, not the NBA. It's competitive but it's doable. I got rejected several times and that's how I took it, although some years were much harder to digest than others. 

"You're applying to medical school, not the NBA." Lolllll +1 agree

First, look the best that you can. Second, do a recording of your own voice. Thirdly, get a critical friend to tell you honestly how you are coming across to others when you speak. If all that fails, go and get professional coaching.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey

I have applied 3 times and finally this year I was accepted! So I definitely feel the pain of the rejections/waitlisting....the way I dealt with it was to find things to do that 1) I would enjoy doing and 2) would make my application stronger. For example, I did graduate work, volunteered, travel, etc.  I think its also important to make a plan, like gather as much info. about why you weren't accepted and come up with a constructive way of improving. 

Try not to take things personally, the fact is most people who apply are exceptional in a lot of ways, medicine has to be one of the most competitive programs! 

I was accepted on my fourth application (had interviewed the previous 3 years).  My grades were only good enough to apply in-province.  For most people paranoid about how they interview, as others have said there are hundreds of applicants interviewing who are just as qualified, a rejection does not necessarily mean you are a bad interviewer.  The average applicant applies 3 times before they are accepted, so for every all-star that gets in on their first try there is someone who gets in on their 5th try.  There is an enormous amount of luck getting into medical school these days (especially with the large number of stellar applicants), the only thing you can do to combat that is keep applying year after year.

Archived