Premed 101 Forums

TL/DR: studying for DAT - should I just retake MCAT again while I'm at it? Scored well enough (510-512) and got interview with UBC MED. Planning in advance in case of rejection.

Hey everyone. So I am waiting to hear back from UBC for this year but in the meantime I'm planning my next year in case I don't make it this year...(planning a full year of courses 2017-18 and maybe retake MCAT this summer).

I am also considering applying to dentistry to see where that might get me but I've never taken the DAT... so in light of realizing I will have to study very similar material to the MCAT again it has got me thinking... should I just retake? I scored 510-512 (being vague-ish). I took my mcat on 2 hrs of sleep (pet was violently sick all night) but I don't know how that affected me overall. I suppose if I really went to town again on studying (and slept! ;) ) I could get a better score but I don't want to risk a poorer score. It would be my undoing. Had I scored a 500 I believe I would have retaken right away. I'm almost in that sweet spot where it's kind of a risk to retake. At this point I have only taken the MCAT once.

Thoughts?

Study for the DAT for now.

Wait for UBC results. If you get accepted, great! If you don't, see if it's because of your MCAT (ie. above average everything but still don't get accepted could be a sign, of course it could also be due to LOR, red flags...etc. so you can only guess). If it is, retake. 

Thanks guys.

After this cycle and the full year courses I'm doing in fall if rejected I'll be eligible for some other schools as I never held a five and five per semester for a year... life just didn't go that way...

What is a good CARS score for those schools? I have an even distribution, all at 127 or above (not going to say exact breakdown).

Archived