Premed 101 Forums

Women - What To Wear On Interview Day?

Since you asked, I would recommend pants suit. I'm not sure the specific dress you have in mind but I don't think they would be appropriate. To me, interview is a business-formal event: can you see your self working, interacting with patients, and running meetings with the outfit?

When I interviewed, I wore a pant suit. However other female interviewees were wearing a variety of outfits that included skirts and dresses. I think the best way to decide, is to pick something professional and comfortable. Good luck!

I'm torn between a pant-suit, blazer with a dress, and blazer with skirt. What do you think?

On 3/26/2017 at 8:31 AM, malkynn said:

I refused to be yet another woman wearing a black suit. I wore caramel coloured dress pants, a sky blue dress shirt, and a navy fitted sweater vest thing, and conservative heels.

Back when I worked in corporate staffing and would interview really young people in suits, they often looked like kids playing dress up, so I tried to avoid that look.

I'm planning on wearing black dress pants with a white blouse (or blue) tucked in and with black booties that have a one inch-ish heel. The booties have a bit of gold in them too. I think if i personally wear a blazer, I would feel so uncomfortable.

I think this is a pretty spot on analogy. I'm 5ft tall as it is, so i'd like to avoid this look also lol. 

I'm debating on bringing a purse or not though? 

i'm also torn on the purse issue! Purse or a bag or a portfolio? 

For men is it okay to have an unmatched suit? (unmatched jacket and pants)

I wouldn't advise it personally, but I'm a style snob. And you would be absolutely amazed what some wear to an interview. Admittedly this is because most of the guys showing up have been stuck in a library for 4 years--style wasn't exactly the priority.

As long as your jacket & pants fit, you'll be doing better than most people.

If you do the mismatched trousers & jacket, just do yourself a favour and do not do anything khaki-coloured. Navy pants with a light grey jacket or vice versa will look both sharp & professional.

To be brutally honest though, I don't know why people don't invest in a couple suits. They do not have to be expensive, they just have to fit and be a versatile colour (navy, light grey, dark grey). You're going to need it as soon as you start dental school anyways, for various things.

For men is it okay to have an unmatched suit? (unmatched jacket and pants)

Both my suit jacket and pants were black, but they were of different shades.  You couldn't really tell unless you look very closely.  If you were mixing  a light grey jacket with a pair of black pants then I think that would definitely be a problem, but if you were worrying about slight differences in color then I don't think it's that big of an issue.  

Both my suit jacket and pants were black, but they were of different shades.  You couldn't really tell unless you look very closely.  If you were mixing  a light grey jacket with a pair of black pants then I think that would definitely be a problem, but if you were worrying about slight differences in color then I don't think it's that big of an issue.  

Once again, this is me coming from a style/professionalism perspective, but don't wear black anything to an interview, unless it's your shoes, belt, tie, watch. 

Also, shades/tones that are too close together lack local contrast and it ends up looking like you tried to match them but failed. You want to choose different, but complementary colours. Not have them close enough that people would assume you thought they were the same.

Once again, this is me coming from a style/professionalism perspective, but don't wear black anything to an interview, unless it's your shoes, belt, tie, watch. 

Also, shades/tones that are too close together lack local contrast and it ends up looking like you tried to match them but failed. You want to choose different, but complementary colours. Not have them close enough that people would assume you thought they were the same.

I guess it depends on the person.  At the end of the day I don't think it's that big of a deal.  The majority of guys I've seen at my interviews had the same colored jackets and pants.  Not that many people tried to be overly stylish or make a fashion statement since that wasn't really the purpose of the interviews lol

Not that many people tried to be overly stylish or make a fashion statement since that wasn't really the purpose of the interviews lol

I don't think anyone said it was, but people waiting for their interviews are evidently wondering/concerned about it. I think that's smart.

To play devil's advocate, it doesn't "depend on the person" i.e. you. This is a situation where you are going to be judged. Trying to bring your best, look your best, and seem professional is not a fashion statement. It's an expectation. You're right, the interviewers shouldn't think less of anyone for committing a fashion faux pas or looking a little less put together than someone else. But I don't think anyone can make a real argument for cutting a corner if they can afford the effort not to. So it doesn't depend on you. It depends on them, and you don't know what they're thinking. Personally, I'd like to try to look like I give a damn more than the other guy, not just say the right things. 

I've been through enough interview situations to know why I bother, and why people do care, even if they would never admit to it. And the amount of times I've received praise for caring about how I looked at an interview is not insignificant.

It's not an opportunity to show off. It's an opportunity to present yourself in your best light. At work I wear a scrub top, dress pants and shoes and only occasionally a white coat. So I'm not exactly winning any style games when I see patients, but whenever I meet with someone for an interview, you can bet your ass I'm going to look my best. 

@cleanup for females, would you recommend wearing a pants suit that is ankle-length, with a small heel? or full length pants? what is more professional?

I must admit I don't know enough about professional wear for women to answer. I'd defer to Malkynn on that one.

Too stylish and fashionable can work against you almost as much as committing a fashion faux pas.

Exactly. Someone who just PMed me asked about pocket squares; go for it, but keep it simple. A white one, basic "TV" fold. Don't look like you have a bouquet coming out of your chest.

Archived