Premed 101 Forums

Accelerated Nursing Program Q's

OntPremed

Hi all,

So I'm a current undergraduate student and was looking into doing an accelerated nursing program. I'm currently a second year and will be finishing my third year before applying. 

My GPA this year should be 3.8 (likely a bit higher), and next year should be higher, lets say 3.9 (much easier courses). I'll be finishing all Nursing prereq's in my third year, though I have a fair bit completed already. 

So my questions: Do all accelerated nursing programs look at your two most recent years for GPA calculation? 

Are there a fair number of accelerated nursing programs in Canada (preferably Ontario) that I would be competitive for?

What other aspects of an application are important, besides GPA and pre-reqs, in the application process?

ALSO, can one go on to do a Masters to be a PA after their BScN and after completing the recommended clinical hours (~1000) as a nurse? 

Sorry for the perhaps stupid questions; I really want to be a part of the healthcare field but don't think I want to invest 7+ years of schooling after undergrad to pursue medicine.

Thanks all!

[i am not the original account holder; borrowing my friends :)]

Although I may be stating the obvious, if you value the science, heavy decision-making and analytical side of healthcare, then medicine would be for you. With your grades, you would no doubt be competitive for Ontario and OOP schools. However, if for whatever reason you would like to do a BScN or PA, then by all means go for it. I would not suggest doing a BScN though, as at most you can save a year of school work. You can look into direct entry masters for nursing. 

You should have no problem applying for PA school if you have all the prereqs and the necessary GPA. 

For nursing, a quick google check could do the trick.

McGill has a decent nursing program for BSc holders. http://www.mcgill.ca/nursing/programs/msca-direct-entry

• 3 weeks later...

I would echo organic chemistry's response.

I'm a long time RN/coordinator and have degrees in molecular bio and nursing.  Although I LOVE my work as a tx coordinatoor, ICU RN and clinical instructor, I definitely don't feel intellectually fulfilled. The "worse" part is the work is quite easy and the compensation is really good!  Furthermore, assuming you have a specialized in-demand skill set your job is basically recession proof.  In Alberta you can work "casually", meaning you're basically a sub-contractor. This is like running/owning your own business as you get to pick where and when (and for what length shifts) you want to work.  Its a very very sweet set up.  

I wouldn't worry too much about getting in as you'll be pretty much good to go as your GPA is very competitive.  I'm not sure what the market for Nurse practitioners/PAs is like in Ontario, but in Alberta, there aren't a lot of NP jobs unfortunately. This is a shame as NPs are much cheaper on a public system vs. a family MD, and can do a lot of the same stuff.  I would advise you check on the availability of NP jobs before going into a masters program.  The NPs I've worked with usually do the housekeeping stuff in various ICUs, stuff like central line insertion, intubating, writing basic admission orders, etc. Our ICU MDs love them, as they make their jobs much much easier.  I think the PA program is separate, and not sure how one applies for them, or what the PA scope of practice is like in Canada.  

One thing I will warn you about, is that if you value analytical stuff and enjoy science you might hate your after degree RN program. I really hated my program as it was very fluffy and I'm a science nerd...didn't feel like you learnt anything other than in the clinical rotations.  That being said, I thoroughly love the work that I do. 

You can google the requirements for various schools, as I know the program requirements have changed since when I took my B.ScN. 

Hope this helps,  good luck!

Archived