Premed 101 Forums

How Does The Candidate Selection Process Actually Work?

One of my friends got a bad waitlist email.

He didn't send me what it looks like, but he said "bad waitlist" and knows what it means. It's the same as last year.

Edit: Update: He thought we were talking about Western, as I asked him shortly after noon.

He got the same email as everybody else and thought he botched his interview, so I'm sure Mr. Duck is correct.

• 1 month later...
On 4/1/2017 at 11:27 AM, RicardoKaká said:

I definitely think being able to articulate yourself well is really important in an interview setting, you want to get your point across concisely. At the same time I think your overall demeanour or persona should not be overlooked. I am sure they are trying to get a grasp as to whether or not you'd be a suitable person in medicine and future physician. I feel like one of the things they are asking themselves is "What is his/hers bedside manner going to be like?" "Can we trust this persons interpersonal skills with a patient?"

Its more than just what you say or how you say it, it's the vision you put inside their head about who you are.

Just MO

True a lot of people underestimate the non-verbal skills which can make a big difference at interview. I know someone who has worked in HR for a long time now, and they always emphasize the difference non-verbal skills can make to success at interview. These can take a long time to develop and only with lots of practice. No short-cuts, unfortunately. :) 

Archived