Premed 101 Forums

In Need Of Some Advice (Please)

_Bubbles_

Hey guys! :)

I'm currently in Cegep and did not manage to get into medicine this year (one bad semester for personal reasons brought my R score down). I am thinking of going into physiotherapy next year at mcgill in order to boost my grades/ have a degree that I like as a back-up.

Here are my questions:

1) I read for mcgill medicine, I must complete a 90 credit (3 years) program in order to apply. Will my cegep prerequisites still count in my future application? Does physiotherapy include any electives ? (Doesn't seem to have all the prereqs @ university that can be used instead of the prereqs at cegep)

1 B) Would I have to apply after the three years, or after two (if the third one is in completion). Has anyone managed to get in after three years? From this forum most people seem to get invites during their fourth university year.

2) How quickly can I consider applying to other schools in medicine as well? Must I complete a three-year program for all three (UdeS, UdeM, UdeL)?

3) Can anyone who has done/ is doing physio @ mcgill/ other universities please tell me what to expect and give me suggestions on how to keep a high gpa? For the ones who managed to get into medicine afterwards... any advice?

And this might seem really silly but i'd like to partake in research someday but I'm not really sure where to start looking except for the researches conducted at mcgill (which dont interest me all that much). Where can i start looking ?

Thank you everyone, any input is really appreciated!

Hey guys! :)

I'm currently in Cegep and did not manage to get into medicine this year (one bad semester for personal reasons brought my R score down). I am thinking of going into physiotherapy next year at mcgill in order to boost my grades/ have a degree that I like as a back-up.

Here are my questions:

1) I read for mcgill medicine, I must complete a 90 credit (3 years) program in order to apply. Will my cegep prerequisites still count in my future application? Does physiotherapy include any electives ? (Doesn't seem to have all the prereqs @ university that can be used instead of the prereqs at cegep)

1 B) Would I have to apply after the three years, or after two (if the third one is in completion). Has anyone managed to get in after three years? From this forum most people seem to get invites during their fourth university year.

2) How quickly can I consider applying to other schools in medicine as well? Must I complete a three-year program for all three (UdeS, UdeM, UdeL)?

3) Can anyone who has done/ is doing physio @ mcgill/ other universities please tell me what to expect and give me suggestions on how to keep a high gpa? For the ones who managed to get into medicine afterwards... any advice?

And this might seem really silly but i'd like to partake in research someday but I'm not really sure where to start looking except for the researches conducted at mcgill (which dont interest me all that much). Where can i start looking ?

Thank you everyone, any input is really appreciated!

1) You must complete a degree or be in your last year to apply, yes. You would be in the same stream as people who completed their degree if you apply in your graduating year.  

2) I believe you can apply "en cours de bac" at certain french schools however it is extremely competitive and your cegep R-score still counts to some extent. Its weight decreases as you accumulate university credits, however. 

3) I can't comment on anything physio-specific. 

4) Be on the lookout, talk to people in upper years and ask how they've done it in their program, talk to profs, send emails, and don't forget to try and apply for research awards. You can start looking whenever you want although it might be more difficult to get something in your first year.

Good luck! 

1- yes you need to be in your last year when you apply to McGill

2- depends on the school. Look it up.

PT is a very good choice. If you have good grades, it gives you very good R scores for the 3 French universities. If you can be accepted to PT school, it's one of the best options out there for you. I know someone who finished with a near perfect GPA at McGill PT, so definitely possible to finish with a good GPA. 

4- for research, look up departments, the professors, their labs and their projects (including other universities). I'm sure someone does something you might be interested in. 

Archived