Premed 101 Forums

Differences Between Ontario Med Schools

5 minutes ago, ArchEnemy said:

It is interesting that Quebec actually discourages physicians from settling and practising in Quebec...

probably have the same urban vs rural issue other places have and this is an attempt to solve it (?)

I have heard they don't really need any more doctors in the major cities - there may be good reason to discourage people that only want to work there(?)

I really have to learn more about the entire situation in Quebec, ha. 

14 minutes ago, ArchEnemy said:

It is interesting that Quebec actually discourages physicians from settling and practising in Quebec...

I think there are some nuances.  The contract is/was? primarily aimed at (francophone) NB students who now train in their own province, but in the past trained in QC (not sure if civil jurisdiction now extends to NB).  The stated goal is not to use med school to increase medical manpower within QC - possibly some initial pressure for NBers to not stay in QC.  Of course it doesn't apply to incoming residents OR IMGs.  IMGs have been actively recruited by the college - for instance there's historically a strong link between QC and France.

I can say without hesitation that individuals from France can integrate quite easily.  In my own experience, I find my own differences in language is non-trivial even after quite some time (nuances still - but another story).  

On 5/31/2017 at 10:58 PM, calcan said:

I think there are some nuances.  The contract is/was? primarily aimed at (francophone) NB students who now train in their own province, but in the past trained in QC (not sure if civil jurisdiction now extends to NB).  The stated goal is not to use med school to increase medical manpower within QC - possibly some initial pressure for NBers to not stay in QC.  Of course it doesn't apply to incoming residents OR IMGs.  IMGs have been actively recruited by the college - for instance there's historically a strong link between QC and France.

I can say without hesitation that individuals from France can integrate quite easily.  In my own experience, I find my own differences in language is non-trivial even after quite some time (nuances still - but another story).  

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/30/2017 at 11:33 AM, elucidator2341 said:

Are you actually in U of T med? And besides the greater cost (which is to be expected in any large city a la New York, Vancouver, etc.), it can easily be argued that Toronto is one of the best places to live in North America. There's always something to do :)

My SO went through TO med and I have a large number of friends who went through it. They've changed their curriculum significantly but Toronto LOVED to test them on a vast amount of material so the study/personal life balance was significantly skewed compared to what I personally experienced/saw at other schools.

Cost isn't insignificant. A 1 bedroom downtown is practically at 2000 per month when you factor internet/hydro etc. That's another 100k over 4 years on tuition that almost approaches 100K. You can obviously live with roommates but it's another factor you should consider.

On 5/30/2017 at 9:33 PM, elucidator2341 said:

Are you actually in U of T med? And besides the greater cost (which is to be expected in any large city a la New York, Vancouver, etc.), it can easily be argued that Toronto is one of the best places to live in North America. There's always something to do :)

No but I have lived in Toronto. It is a great city, didn't mean to be so gloomy about it, but it can be very expensive and day-to-day tiring after a while! But, you are right, there's always something to do :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 5/31/2017 at 2:25 PM, ArchEnemy said:

Ontario medical schools are a lot more expensive than Quebec medical schools, especially if you are not from Quebec. 

In terms of education wise, all schools should be pretty similar in preparing you for residency. It just depends on your learning preferences, and which city you would like to live in for the next 3-4 years.

Oh and if you like hanging around very fancy buildings in Montreal - lol 

Archived