Premed 101 Forums

If You Couldn't Do Medicine, Which Profession/career Would You Choose?

Organic Chemistry

Which non-medical career would you go into?  

96 members have voted

1. 1. What non-medical field would you go into?

• Allied health field professions
    • Biomedical sciences
    • Hard sciences (Chem, Physics, Mathematics)
    • Engineering (Software, Civil, EE, Mech)
    • Business/finance
    • Arts (History, Fine Arts, Linguistics, Communications, Philosophy, Education)
    • McJob (Dead-end job)
    • NEETdom

• 2 weeks later...

hmm.. that is a difficult question. There are so many careers that I can see myself doing:

- A psychologist - One of the main things that I look for in a career is relationship building, and making a difference in client's lives. I feel that psychologists are very privileged to be able to support clients in their life's journeys, and be there for them. Also, people say that I am great listener, so I can totally see myself as a psychologist. 

- Social Worker - I have worked with social workers for so many years, and I have seen how social workers make a difference in other people's lives.  I admire the counselling portion of their job, and social work is something that I can see myself doing.

- Teacher - I have been teaching for so many years, and most of my students really appreciate how I teach concepts and simplify things for them. I remember few days ago, one of the parents of the kids that I teach told me that the only teacher that his son (9 year old) likes is me, and he was trying to convince me to become a teacher.  He was saying that I am the only person that his son listens to lol. 

- Public health- I really like studying about the social determinants of health, and public health policy. I see myself doing a lot of advocacy work in the community.

My man =D

- G

Probably would have done a Masters/PhD and gone to work in the US in the Biotech field/Academia. There is some really interesting innovations right over the horizon with the emergence of fields such as Synthetic Biology and also new technologies such as CRISPR. I would have really liked to be a part of this new wave of innovation.

Sometimes I fear that by taking Med, I might miss this.

Can you still do these types of research with just an MD?

Sure it is likely possible but the type of research doctors do is often a bit different (more clinical), and if they are also doing clinical work (where the money is at) it is a "distraction". 

You also didn't actually do a phd or at least a full 5-6 year one where you develop a lot of important skills. 

Hmm so if you didn't care about lack of finances from lack of clinical work and wanted to have strong contributions to research but also want to see patients in the hospital or clinic just as much, is the MD/PhD still the best way to do this? And specifically for basic science or translational or engineering? (Not sure if the last two are the same thing)

I did engineering for my undergrad. So naturally if I didn't get in I would just work. Pays decently, not too stressful and I'll reapply. But engineering work is not really my favorite area. One field in particular I looked was management consulting. Some MDs also go into it after graduation. 

Archived