Premed 101 Forums

Retaking Science Prerequesites

Medreamy

is 3.55 GPA in pre req low ?

From their website, you're a little below average but not in trouble...

• Successful applicants tend to have a basic science prerequisite GPA (PrereqGPA) above 3.4 (average approximately 3.8), or an MCAT equal to or greater than 30 (average approximately 33). Applicants with a PrereqGPA below 3.0 or with an MCAT below 27 are rarely considered.

https://www.mcgill.ca/medadmissions/applying/requirements-edu

Hey Everyone, I created an account just for this haha

I applied first time to McGill this year, but was rejected post interview so looking to re-apply next year - I did cegep 2008-2010, so admissions told me my prerequisites at least for the 2008-2009 year will be expired  

1) I was thinking of taking the 2 extra courses McGill recommends in the fall that I am missing but reading posts on this forum it seems that even If you have the 4 courses recommended by McGill but some of your prerequisites are expired ( my 2008-2009 year will be)  they would still not substitute the 4 recommended courses at McGill? Reading this forum it seems that they only would do this in cases where all 4 courses were done at McGill + all valid pre-requisites and take the better of the two? so there's no real point to take the 2 extra courses I am missing at McGill then... 

I have Bio 200, Bio 201 along with a bunch of other bio classes at McGill - I would need the physiology class and to re-do organic 1 (although I have organic 2 and organic 3 from mcgill so it seems odd that I would need to re-do organic 1 considering I have taken the other 2 at mcgill)

2) If my 2008-2009 year is expired but the 2009-2010 year is not then I guess I would just need to re-do the science prerequisites from that year ( continued ed in dawson at night in that case)- although my bachelors is in chemistry in undergrad.... so It seems funny a little to have to re-do general chemistry 1 and 2 considering I have a B.Sc in science with a major chemistry and minor in bio and am currently finishing an M.Sc at the moment with several grad classes in chemistry done- but bon... guess that just means I'll ace those gen chem classes haha  

3) it says that all courses have to be completed by Jan 15th deadline so is it possible for me to re-do Gen Chem 1 &2 as well as Bio 1&2 all in the fall between 2 different cegeps at night? I'm not in the country all summer otherwise I would have registered for a summer term 

thanks in advance!!! 

Hey Everyone, I created an account just for this haha

I applied first time to McGill this year, but was rejected post interview so looking to re-apply next year - I did cegep 2008-2010, so admissions told me my prerequisites at least for the 2008-2009 year will be expired  

1) I was thinking of taking the 2 extra courses McGill recommends in the fall that I am missing but reading posts on this forum it seems that even If you have the 4 courses recommended by McGill but some of your prerequisites are expired ( my 2008-2009 year will be)  they would still not substitute the 4 recommended courses at McGill? Reading this forum it seems that they only would do this in cases where all 4 courses were done at McGill + all valid pre-requisites and take the better of the two? so there's no real point to take the 2 extra courses I am missing at McGill then... 

I have Bio 200, Bio 201 along with a bunch of other bio classes at McGill - I would need the physiology class and to re-do organic 1 (although I have organic 2 and organic 3 from mcgill so it seems odd that I would need to re-do organic 1 considering I have taken the other 2 at mcgill)

2) If my 2008-2009 year is expired but the 2009-2010 year is not then I guess I would just need to re-do the science prerequisites from that year ( continued ed in dawson at night in that case)- although my bachelors is in chemistry in undergrad.... so It seems funny a little to have to re-do general chemistry 1 and 2 considering I have a B.Sc in science with a major chemistry and minor in bio and am currently finishing an M.Sc at the moment with several grad classes in chemistry done- but bon... guess that just means I'll ace those gen chem classes haha  

3) it says that all courses have to be completed by Jan 15th deadline so is it possible for me to re-do Gen Chem 1 &2 as well as Bio 1&2 all in the fall between 2 different cegeps at night? I'm not in the country all summer otherwise I would have registered for a summer term 

thanks in advance!!! 

The admissions office have given some exemptions in the past for redoing some prerequisites from my understanding, for example for individuals who have a phd in chemistry may not be required to go back to do chem 1 & 2. All of the exemptions would need to be communicated by the admissions office directly, it may be worth sending them an email with the details of your situation.

Oups forgot to quote, but this is about Cardiolove01's post.

Concerning your 1st query:

From what I understand, you are correct in saying that the 4 recommended university-level courses (physiology, org chem, mol bio, cell bio) can only come into play if your 7 pre-reqs are OK (not expired). 

By the way, I don’t think the 4 university courses (physio, org chem, mol bio, cell bio) have to be from McGill… They can be from any university (in fact in the Excel workbook, the sample entries for filling out those 4 courses they used UdeM courses), as long as they are equivalent and for that you have check the course equivalencies database or ask them directly.

Concerning your 2nd point about your grad studies in chemistry:

The website mentions this:

Advanced studies in the basic sciences may also be considered in this assessment. Candidates seeking an exemption or substitution for the basic sciences are encouraged to contact the admissions office between June and September of the year they wish to apply to medicine. The Admissions Office reserves the right not to consider requests for exemption or substitution for basic sciences after September 30.

So it looks like you have to ask them directly to have an answer for that (I guess if they’re cool with your grad chem courses, they could give you an exemption for the chem pre-reqs??)

Concerning your 3rd point:

They say all at least 5 out of 7 pre-reqs must be completed by the application deadline in Nov, so your plan of taking 4 pre-reqs in the fall would not work.

Double-check everything I’ve mentioned in this post in here

https://www.mcgill.ca/medadmissions/applying/requirements-edu/basic-science-prerequisites

But basically, to get definitive answers you gotta email them…but looks like you got the “potential” for exemptions for your chem pre-reqs and if that were the case you would only have to redo bio 1 and 2 (from what I understood of your post).

Good luck.

Speaking of prereqs, anyone had issues with their physics background only covering mechanics and electromagnetism? Because I don't think I can survive 3 semesters of physics. Anyone applied without ever having to deal with waves and modern physics in their lives?

Well not exactly zero amount of waves, but if you do PHYS 101 and PHYS 102 from McGill, you'd barely touch them.  Waves are the last couple of lectures in PHYS 101 (corresponding to like 2 modules out of 11, 3 if you count the sound chapter).

Speaking of prereqs, anyone had issues with their physics background only covering mechanics and electromagnetism? Because I don't think I can survive 3 semesters of physics. Anyone applied without ever having to deal with waves and modern physics in their lives?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the way I understand it is that your 6 credits of physics don't need to cover all topics listed on the  basic concepts sheet.
You could skip electricity altogether (it's an infamous gpa killer) and just do 3 credits of waves and 3 credits of mechanics.

• 1 month later...

Hey everyone,

I was wondering if someone could answer my question. I need to redo all of my sciences prerequisites (finished Cegep 2008). Should I do it in cegep, or in university? (Cegep is much cheaper). If I do my sciences in cegep, I will take only 7 classes : 2 biology, 2 chemistry, 2 physics and 1 organic chemistry ? Am I missing something? 

Thank you,

Manda

3 minutes ago, SunAndMoon said:

I did it in CEGEP, was easier to register, cheaper and the course itself is probably easier as well than its university counterpart.

Thank you for your reply,

If I take them in cegep, I will only take the 7 courses that I listed right? or if its in cegep I will have to take more classes?

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

I still have some questions about perquisites. I have a DEC in health science, but it was done more than 8 years ago. I tried to register for sciences perquisites at  CEGEP. Unfortunately, I was told that I cannot do my perquisites at the CEGEP since I have already my DEC in health sciences. I was just wondering if someone was in the same situation as me, and still did their perquisites at CEGEP?

Thank you.

6 hours ago, Manda8906 said:

Hello,

I still have some questions about perquisites. I have a DEC in health science, but it was done more than 8 years ago. I tried to register for sciences perquisites at  CEGEP. Unfortunately, I was told that I cannot do my perquisites at the CEGEP since I have already my DEC in health sciences. I was just wondering if someone was in the same situation as me, and still did their perquisites at CEGEP?

Thank you.

You certainly can retake prerequisites in CEGEP despite having gotten a DEC in health sci. It's unfortunate that this is what you were told but they are wrong. I've retaken classes at Dawson and several people I know did too (at Dawson or Vanier). Alternatively, you can do prerequisites in universities or online (Athabasca), although that is significantly more expensive. I think you are unfortunately too late for summer courses however but you should start looking for the Fall and be familiar with the deadlines in CEGEP and Uni. For Athabasca, you can enroll at any time and the course will start on the first day of the following month if you apply before the 10th of the month. So if you enrolled now, you would start officially on August 1st. Some courses require you to be on-site for labs (like Organic Chem), so be careful when picking courses.

Archived