Premed 101 Forums

Schulich Dentistry Class Of 2021 Accepted/waitlisted/rejected

As someone who was on the waitlist last year, my biggest piece of advice is to just keep hope, but act as if you're rejected. Channel that frustration into strengthening your application and do all you can to really maximize your chances next year. Stay busy and time will fly, I promise that.

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As someone who was on the waitlist last year, my biggest piece of advice is to just keep hope, but act as if you're rejected. Channel that frustration into strengthening your application and do all you can to really maximize your chances next year. Stay busy and time will fly, I promise that.

I can vouch for this! I was waitlisted as well last year and recieved an offer this year! Don't sit by your phone all summer, start analyzing yourself and see where you need to improve. Continue shadowing and push forward. I think the best way to approach it is "hope for the best plan for the worst". Do some ECs, enjoy your summer and if the phone call comes great! But if it doesn't don't get bogged down. A gap year isn't too bad and you'll learn a lot and eventually get in! Good luck!

How do you know the # of people that got off the waitlist last year? Is it on their website? 

It was discussed here: http://forums.premed101.com/index.php?/topic/92284-schulich-dentistry-2020-statistics/ 

The figure was said by the Head of Admissions according to MolarBond. Also, only 1 of the 37 WL offers were declined according to MapleDent.

On 4/25/2017 at 9:20 AM, timmcgraw said:

what is the price range for decent housing in London?  :rolleyes:

Depends on what you want really. 1/2 person condo (800-900/month). Splitting a house with a few people (400-600/month)

There's generally more supply than demand in rentals too! 

Keep in mind that you'll pay off that extra housing cost quickly. Being closer to family and other reasons are much more important for me

You can also find decently priced housing in Toronto. You just might have to subway a little for good deals

same. being close to my family and friends is important to me as well. my friends in uoft didnt have too much trouble finding decent housing :)

Result: Waitlisted - Ranking: Like they would provide this hahaaa

GPA: 4.0 OMSAS, 87% for Western ?
IP/OOP: IP 
DAT (AA + PAT): 22 + 19
Interview: I stumbled on the very two questions, but pulled myself together for the rest of it. Had a great time with the interviewers and totally connected with them.
Year of study : UG completed

ABS/PS: Musician (pianist), human rights activist and amnesty international award winner, long-term volunteering positions, 100+ hours of shadowing and so forth, PM me for details. 

Congratulations to everyone accepted and good luck to those on the waitlist :-)

Result: Waitlisted - Ranking: Like they would provide this hahaaa

GPA: 4.0 OMSAS, 87% for Western ?

IP/OOP: IP 

DAT (AA + PAT): 22 + 19

Interview: I stumbled on the very two questions, but pulled myself together for the rest of it. Had a great time with the interviewers and totally connected with them.

Year of study : UG completed

ABS/PS: Musician (pianist), human rights activist and amnesty international award winner, long-term volunteering positions, 100+ hours of shadowing and so forth, PM me for details. 

Congratulations to everyone accepted and good luck to those on the waitlist :-)

How can you convert a 4.0 to 87%? I'm starting to think my GPA for Western is not what I think it is. 

How can you convert a 4.0 to 87%? I'm starting to think my GPA for Western is not what I think it is. 

Some schools only give letter grades and max out at "A" which UWO may translate to an 87. UWO has to interpret the letter grades accordingly and they decided it was an 87 and not a 95 (which is what A+ or a 9 or 12, at York/Mac, translates to).

My grades come from a grading system where there is A and A-, so it seems like this is the reason why it gets translated into an 87, not fair at all imo, but I just have to suck it up I guess ...

Some schools only give letter grades and max out at "A" which UWO may translate to an 87. UWO has to interpret the letter grades accordingly and they decided it was an 87 and not a 95 (which is what A+ or a 9 or 12, at York/Mac, translates to).

I didn't know that and I also think it's not fair at all. 

I didn't know that and I also think it's not fair at all. 

The system is set like this and unfortunately it's unfair for some and great for others (imagine all your A+s or 9s or 12s became 95s). Percentage is a more accurate metric on average but we have to respect UWO's decision to adjudicate marks in this manner. 

To frame things more positively, anyone who gets to the interview stage can get the offer and despite this conversion of letter grades, it is very possible to get in even if the conversion is not in your favour. Maybe it is slightly harder but the interview is where you can shine and get the offer.

I know of two others who are going to decline. One for UBC and one for UofT.

No waitlist movement is going to happen until May 9th when all waitlisters confirm or turn down their waitlist offer.

The admission said it depends on the response rates of the ppl on the waitlist, it could be sooner, it could be later 

Edit: It can't be later than the deadline assigned, so just sooner :) 

Just some information for waitlisters. A couple of my friends have emailed the admissions department and they have released info about whether your position will receive an offer or will not based on previous years. It is not a guarantee but it does put some insight into whether you would potentially get the call.

Archived