Premed 101 Forums

Canadian Dat Prep

PAT: Dat Bootcamp + IQ 

RC: Practice skimming/ speed reading - the most representative material I practiced on was IQ publications

BIO/CHEM: Feralis notes + DAT bootcamp + DAT Destroyer **

I wrote it last November and was very happy with the results. Feel free to message me with any questions. I can sell you any of the above mentioned material + more if you are interested!    

I'd agree with everything they've said so far. DAT Bootcamp and IQ were they way to go for me.  Feralis was a GREAT refresher for bio. Only use it if you've already covered a lot of bio otherwise its just a little brief and may leave you wondering whats going on at times. My main tip would be to do some paper PAT in addition to DAT Bootcamp. Theres something about the digital PAT that just isn't reflective of the real thing in many ways (for me at least). 

Best of luck

I'd agree with everything they've said so far. DAT Bootcamp and IQ were they way to go for me.  Feralis was a GREAT refresher for bio. Only use it if you've already covered a lot of bio otherwise its just a little brief and may leave you wondering whats going on at times. My main tip would be to do some paper PAT in addition to DAT Bootcamp. Theres something about the digital PAT that just isn't reflective of the real thing in many ways (for me at least). 

Best of luck

Thank you :) 

If you write MDT; do at least 70 soaps. Best investment, and bigger pay off increasing your score.

PAT; use DAT Bootcamp; Do PAT everyday

RCT; use a bit of everything. DAT Bootcmap + IQ Publications + anything else you can get your hands on.

I'm applying to mostly Canadian schools in about 2 years as I'm writing the DAT in my third year. I think I'll do the manual dexterity test even though most schools don't require them, specifically UoT and western. I've done a lot of labour work so it shouldn't be terrible..but why 70 soaps! Isn't a 6 pack like $40 on the DAT website or is there anyway to get them for cheaper?

Hi Satsande,

If you message me privately, I can sell you the entire soap kit (brand new unopened) which I purchased from CDA at half price.

I also wrote my DAT in my third year and got accepted into U of T the only school that I applied for Sept 2017.

Also, I have some DAT textbooks if you are interested.

I'm applying to mostly Canadian schools in about 2 years as I'm writing the DAT in my third year. I think I'll do the manual dexterity test even though most schools don't require them, specifically UoT and western. I've done a lot of labour work so it shouldn't be terrible..but why 70 soaps! Isn't a 6 pack like $40 on the DAT website or is there anyway to get them for cheaper?

The MDT portion comes naturally to some people. I know someone that carved 12 soaps and got a 28. Meanwhile, I got a 14 on my first MDT and had to carve over 100 soaps to get a 27. It's different for everyone

What worked for me was: 

PAT: DAT Bootcamp. I did maybe 5 of the 10 practice sets. Practiced the angle simulator the most. 

BIO: Cliffs AP Bio + DAT bootcamp + Kaplan BIO MCAT 

CHM: DAT Bootcamp + Kaplan CHM MCAT

RC: DAT Bootcamp

A friend gave me his MCAT books so I gave it a read. There's a lot of extra info though but the Kaplan books present them in a more practical setting than the DAT study material - they give applications of the info they're giving so I found it interesting. I started prepping intermittently a month in advance. For the first 2 weeks I read Cliffs AP Bio and did PAT on DAT Bootcamp. The bulk of the studying for me was the last week: read the 2 MCAT books cover to cover and did the rest of the DAT Bootcamp exercises. One thing to note is for RC, DAT Bootcamp uses the American test which is 60 mins while the Canadian is only 50 mins...that was a surprise for me on test day. 

What worked for me was: 

PAT: DAT Bootcamp. I did maybe 5 of the 10 practice sets. Practiced the angle simulator the most. 

BIO: Cliffs AP Bio + DAT bootcamp + Kaplan BIO MCAT 

CHM: DAT Bootcamp + Kaplan CHM MCAT

RC: DAT Bootcamp

A friend gave me his MCAT books so I gave it a read. There's a lot of extra info though but the Kaplan books present them in a more practical setting than the DAT study material - they give applications of the info they're giving so I found it interesting. I started prepping intermittently a month in advance. For the first 2 weeks I read Cliffs AP Bio and did PAT on DAT Bootcamp. The bulk of the studying for me was the last week: read the 2 MCAT books cover to cover and did the rest of the DAT Bootcamp exercises. One thing to note is for RC, DAT Bootcamp uses the American test which is 60 mins while the Canadian is only 50 mins...that was a surprise for me on test day. 

Thanks!

In my opinion if your going to do MDT, even if it's just for one school (UOfA is only now I think), then do it right and to the best of your ability. Yes they are $40 a pack, but your gonna want the freshest soaps possible so ordering from them is the way to go. That being said if you find some fromnlast year or this year for sale that's great for practice, but be sure to finish off with fresher ones. The ones on actual DAT will be much softer.

It's all about increasing your chances. Now if you have a killler DAT and GPA for UofT and UWO then you won't even need UOfA, but otherwise it's a great option.

I would dendentely take job DrFix on that offer. And if you need extr blades, which you will to have consistent accuracy with you shavings, I can help you find some from hobby shops as We have here in Edmonton.

If you do decide to write it PM me and I'll give you some good tips

I have similar questions to OP but I already wrote the test in Feb. 

I scored: 

- RC: 19

- AA: 21 

- PAT: 16 

I am thinking of re-writing this Nov because of my PAT scores. I am also worried I do worse in Nov (I heard a rumour that the scales are harder in Nov.?).

I didn't give PAT much time for Feb (about 2 weeks, like 4 practice exams off Boot camp + generators) but I am not sure exactly when to start studying for it if I write in Nov. .

When do you recommend I start studying again, at least with PAT? I want to start as early as possible and make this 2nd nature. I felt like I was improving on my way to the Feb write which was too close and little time. But I do not want to run out of materials. Are there sufficient resources I can start with early until I can start doing Boot camp? What was your time line like to getting a decent score in PAT and resources you used that you'd recommend?

I am planning on doing an English course over the summer for pre-reqs (which might help my reading skills for the RC section) but I also applied to a masters program starting in Fall, so I am not sure how busy that will make me so I hope I can start as early as possible and develop these PAT skills along the way. Any suggestions? thanks!!

I have similar questions to OP but I already wrote the test in Feb. 

I scored: 

- RC: 19

- AA: 21 

- PAT: 16 

I am thinking of re-writing this Nov because of my PAT scores. I am also worried I do worse in Nov (I heard a rumour that the scales are harder in Nov.?).

I didn't give PAT much time for Feb (about 2 weeks, like 4 practice exams off Boot camp + generators) but I am not sure exactly when to start studying for it if I write in Nov. .

When do you recommend I start studying again, at least with PAT? I want to start as early as possible and make this 2nd nature. I felt like I was improving on my way to the Feb write which was too close and little time. But I do not want to run out of materials. Are there sufficient resources I can start with early until I can start doing Boot camp? What was your time line like to getting a decent score in PAT and resources you used that you'd recommend?

I am planning on doing an English course over the summer for pre-reqs (which might help my reading skills for the RC section) but I also applied to a masters program starting in Fall, so I am not sure how busy that will make me so I hope I can start as early as possible and develop these PAT skills along the way. Any suggestions? thanks!!

I was in a similar situation last summer. What I ended up doing was working on DATbootcamp generators every day for most of the summer, and did about 5 practice tests (saving 5 practice tests to do closer to the DAT). To make it second nature, you really have to work at the generators consistently. Try for 15 questions of each section per day. 

DATbootcamp was the only resource I used for PAT, and it was sufficient for me. Also, I recently got an email from DATbootcamp stating that they vastly increased the amount of questions/practice tests they have, so there might be more materials now than when you prepared for the February DAT.

• 1 year later...