Premed 101 Forums

Failed Chemistry 1310 Advice? Sos!

Hi, before I start, I would just like to say that this is cross-posted on another forum. Please let me know if its not allowed but I really need help.

Hi everyone, 

I've been lurking around this site for quite sometime now and I finally had the courage to post something so please bare with me.

As the title suggest, I failed my general chemistry 2 course.

I took the final exam and I know that I have failed the course. It was so foolish of me to think that I could pass the course since I also bombed the midterm exam... I didn't want to withdrew from the course since I thought that I can "make it up" for the finals... Boy was I wrong! If you're wondering as to how I am so positive that I failed the course, our school released the answer key for the multiple choice questions and I didn't even make it half-pass the needed score. We also had a long answer section and I missed 2 of the questions because I ran out of time (which by the way, had a, b, c, d, e & f sections). One thing to note, our final was worth 50% of our final grade. Our Lab section is worth 20% of our final mark (I'm foreshadowing!).

Please hold your judgement to me, I did study really hard for the course but unfortunately, it wasn't good enough...   :(

I feel so down and lost right now and I just need an advice as to what I should do moving forward... I'm already a second year student and I feel like since I failed this course, I am now blocked from taking other courses since this course is a pre-requisites for pretty much every single course that I need to take. I feel so behind from my peers who are going to be third years next year and will most likely graduate during their 4th year. And then there's me... a student behind who may need to take a 5th year... 

I do have another question to ask:

Should I submit one of my late lab reports to my professor in hopes that I can get at least a part mark in order to get at least a 50% on the Lab section? The reason why I ask this is because if I get at least a 50% on the Lab, we are eligible for a Lab exemption! The Lab exempted mark is what they will use to calculate my new mark when I re-take the course, that also means that I don't have to do the Lab portion when I re-take the course.

Everything is out of 20 and I need to get at least a 10. Here are my Lab marks:

1. Lab Report 1: 92% (Super pumped since it was my first mark above a 90 on a lab report!)   :)
  2. Lab Report 2: 95% (Was super shocked from this score and I had to refresh the page over five times!!)   :D
  3. Lab Report 3: 50% (This was after the midterm exam that I bombed and I was just feeling like cr*p, pardon the language)   :(
  4. Lab Report 4: 77% (You can tell that I was getting a little better but still no good)
  5. Lab Report 5: 0% currently (Life throws another obstacle at me. This is due to the fact that my computer crashed on me and wiped the memory clean, I know its stupid but I didn't back up my computer... lesson learned. I lost ALL of my files including all my class notes that I took, my previous lab reports and my other assignments from my other classes.  :eek:   :( The worst part was that I was about to submit it and I had an hour before the deadline, then BAM!!  :mad: I didn't email my prof since I assumed that he won't believe me since it's not a "medical emergency".
  6. Lab Report 6: 73% (This was an online lab, I thought I did better than a 73% but again, I was wrong)

I apologize if this has been a long thread but if I don't let it out and if I keep it in then it'll just make me really sick!   :wacko:

Thank you all for reading and I look forward to your replies!

From what I'm aware of, U of M medicine does not require applicants to fulfill the biochem requirements anymore starting the upcoming cycle. So this means you actually do not have to take whatever prereqs that are needed for you to get into the biochem courses like CHEM1310. Unless that course is required for your major (e.g. if you are a science major you have to), I don't think it is required anymore. But if you have to take that course again, yes go appeal for your lab marks so you can get exempted and can focus on the lecture materials.

It is important to be able to let go of the past.  You will eat yourself up agonizing over things you cannot change.  Reflect at the time on each exam or lab mark and note how you can do better next time, then quickly move on. 

Do talk to the prof about lab #5 to see what options you have to still submit it.  Not by email – go see them in person if you expect to be successful.  

Don’t us excuses.   A crashed computer is a learning experience on how to plan/protect your work.  You will have many things get in your way in the future.  Sometimes they are unplanned exceptions (like the computer) that you need to work through. Sometimes they will be trade-offs you consciously make in balancing your life.   Either way,  don’t dwell on excuses.

Talk to your faculty advisors about the impact of failing the course. If you can make it up in summer (or by some other means) then great !    If no, then get help in plotting out a forward path to recover. The admins have seen it all and may be able to offer guidance you have not thought about.  Maybe it does not have to cost you a fifth year.

You should also ask for help from your school about study techniques. Don’t assume you have to figure it all out on your own.  Make full use of the schools resources to your benefit.

From what I'm aware of, U of M medicine does not require applicants to fulfill the biochem requirements anymore starting the upcoming cycle. So this means you actually do not have to take whatever prereqs that are needed for you to get into the biochem courses like CHEM1310. Unless that course is required for your major (e.g. if you are a science major you have to), I don't think it is required anymore. But if you have to take that course again, yes go appeal for your lab marks so you can get exempted and can focus on the lecture materials.

Unfortunately, I am going for a science degree so... Yes, this course is needed for my degree... And yeah, I'll see if I can appeal to the Lab exemption.

I thought you could hand in lab reports late. You just lose marks.

All of our Lab reports must be handed in on UMLearn and once the time passed (even after 1 minute) the dropbox shuts down and you can't submit it anymore unless you have a medical emergency that prevented you from submitting then you can talk to the profs...

is it offered as a spring or summer course?

Yes it is but the U of M had this new policy approved (which is pretty terrible IMO -_- ) where if you plan to re-take a course then you must wait for at least 3 terms before you can take it again. Other than that, you can't take it since you are pretty much put in a "ban"... So, in other words... I'm not going to be allowed to take the course again for 3 terms which is pretty much a whole year (Spring/Summer, Fall and Winter)... This new policy is awful and very unforgiving!  :(

It is important to be able to let go of the past.  You will eat yourself up agonizing over things you cannot change.  Reflect at the time on each exam or lab mark and note how you can do better next time, then quickly move on. 

Do talk to the prof about lab #5 to see what options you have to still submit it.  Not by email – go see them in person if you expect to be successful.  

Don’t us excuses.   A crashed computer is a learning experience on how to plan/protect your work.  You will have many things get in your way in the future.  Sometimes they are unplanned exceptions (like the computer) that you need to work through. Sometimes they will be trade-offs you consciously make in balancing your life.   Either way,  don’t dwell on excuses.

Talk to your faculty advisors about the impact of failing the course. If you can make it up in summer (or by some other means) then great !    If no, then get help in plotting out a forward path to recover. The admins have seen it all and may be able to offer guidance you have not thought about.  Maybe it does not have to cost you a fifth year.

You should also ask for help from your school about study techniques. Don’t assume you have to figure it all out on your own.  Make full use of the schools resources to your benefit.

Thank you for replying back to me, I will make sure that I do my best to follow your instructions. Thank you again, I really appreciate it! 

Unfortunately, I am going for a science degree so... Yes, this course is needed for my degree... And yeah, I'll see if I can appeal to the Lab exemption.

All of our Lab reports must be handed in on UMLearn and once the time passed (even after 1 minute) the dropbox shuts down and you can't submit it anymore unless you have a medical emergency that prevented you from submitting then you can talk to the profs...

Yes it is but the U of M had this new policy approved (which is pretty terrible IMO -_- ) where if you plan to re-take a course then you must wait for at least 3 terms before you can take it again. Other than that, you can't take it since you are pretty much put in a "ban"... So, in other words... I'm not going to be allowed to take the course again for 3 terms which is pretty much a whole year (Spring/Summer, Fall and Winter)... This new policy is awful and very unforgiving!  :(

Thank you for replying back to me, I will make sure that I do my best to follow your instructions. Thank you again, I really appreciate it! 

I mean, if you have to put your entire life on hold for a year to take this course again, I would just switch degree programs. One that doesn't require you to take CHEM1310. Unless you'd be okay with your last year in university being a bunch of tough courses. Since the course requirements are removed, I would say that this is probably the best option in terms of saving time.

That being said, if you plan on applying to mulitple schools, you may need to look at their requirements too. 

The limited access policy is absolute garbage but I think you've got it a little bit confused. You are allowed to retake the course in the next 3 semesters, however you will be forced to register at a later date and pending space. I know a fail (or anything worse than C for preq purposes) is a big setback, but you won't necessarily have to put your whole program on hold because of this. Good luck!

http://umanitoba.ca/student/records/academicpolicychanges/ 

I mean, if you have to put your entire life on hold for a year to take this course again, I would just switch degree programs. One that doesn't require you to take CHEM1310. Unless you'd be okay with your last year in university being a bunch of tough courses. Since the course requirements are removed, I would say that this is probably the best option in terms of saving time.

That being said, if you plan on applying to mulitple schools, you may need to look at their requirements too. 

I know this may sound stupid but I really don't want to apply to other schools. I really just want to stay in Manitoba if possible.

The limited access policy is absolute garbage but I think you've got it a little bit confused. You are allowed to retake the course in the next 3 semesters, however you will be forced to register at a later date and pending space. I know a fail (or anything worse than C for preq purposes) is a big setback, but you won't necessarily have to put your whole program on hold because of this. Good luck!

http://umanitoba.ca/student/records/academicpolicychanges/ 

Thank you for helping me clear things out a bit. Most of the changes that they made is really confusing and with the whole strike still affecting all students, I had an extremely rough time adapting...

Also, just a heads up that the link that's attached to your reply doesn't work. It says "Document Not Found"

I know this may sound stupid but I really don't want to apply to other schools. I really just want to stay in Manitoba if possible.

Thank you for helping me clear things out a bit. Most of the changes that they made is really confusing and with the whole strike still affecting all students, I had an extremely rough time adapting...

Also, just a heads up that the link that's attached to your reply doesn't work. It says "Document Not Found"

Idk why the link didn't work seems to be a quirk of the U of M website, but if you paste: umanitoba. ca/student/records/academicpolicychanges/  (minus the space of course) into your search bar you'll get there. Also, U of M has one of the more forgiving GPA systems out there (in my opinion) because it lets you drop only courses you did bad in rather than whole years which may have had both good and bad courses in them, so keep on trucking.

Archived