Premed 101 Forums

2017 Queen's Waitlist Poll

Queen's waitlist 2017  

85 members have voted

1. 1. Choose the option that best describes your situation with respect to Queen's medicine admissions.

• Offered admission but will be declining to accept another offer
    • Removing self from waitlist to accept another offer
    • On the waitlist with no other offers
    • Will be accepting the offer and attending Queen's
    • Rejected post-interview
    • On multiple waitlists (including Queen's) with no offers
    • ACCEPTED OFF WAITLIST

I don't think this is the case. I know of people who were accepted off the waitlist in within the two weeks.

EDIT: Here's some proof on the forums as well, from a very reputable user

Seems pretty rare though... the first big wave will be in 2 weeks. But please post if you do get in before that!

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just called them.

260 (!!) people on the waitlist this year.

120 on the waitlist last year but apparently they went through all 120.

Even still, I believe there were only something like 450 interviews this year, so 100 acceptances + 260 waitlist is 360 or over half the interview pool.

I'm not sure I like these chances.

heh this from 2003. The interview numbers seem about right though. Wonder how much has changed?  ;)

heh this from 2003. The interview numbers seem about right though. Wonder how much has changed?  ;)

Here is my highly speculative analysis lol.

So based on last year's stats. 500 interviews for ~100 spots with 197 offers for those spots. Assuming they over accept, lets say 125 for the 100ish spots, that means they gave out another almost 75 offers, so 75 ppl off the waitlist got offered. 

Of the people on the waitlist it's logical to think that some proportion of people were offered admission to another school or another program (particularly those higher up on the wait list). Maybe we can guess 75-100 of those people? So at best, if the waitlist is 260 spots, ~100 people drop off leaving ~150 for 75 offers, meaning that you have a 50% chance of getting an acceptance being on the waitlist. 

I've heard that the vast majority of the Queen's 2020 class was off the waitlist and a good amount had only been offered/waitlisted at Queen's, which supports my speculative number crunching. Or maybe it's just my imagination trying to make things logical so that I maintain some hope lol.

Here is my highly speculative analysis lol.

So based on last year's stats. 500 interviews for ~100 spots with 197 offers for those spots. Assuming they over accept, lets say 125 for the 100ish spots, that means they gave out another almost 75 offers, so 75 ppl off the waitlist got offered. 

Of the people on the waitlist it's logical to think that some proportion of people were offered admission to another school or another program (particularly those higher up on the wait list). Maybe we can guess 75-100 of those people? So at best, if the waitlist is 260 spots, ~100 people drop off leaving ~150 for 75 offers, meaning that you have a 50% chance of getting an acceptance being on the waitlist. 

I've heard that the vast majority of the Queen's 2020 class was off the waitlist and a good amount had only been offered/waitlisted at Queen's, which supports my speculative number crunching. Or maybe it's just my imagination trying to make things logical so that I maintain some hope lol.

I've heard the same thing regarding Queen's 2019 class. Apparently they were all (or very high majority) off the waitlist, except the ones that came through the high school program that Queen's has implemented. Source: I know a couple people who got off the waitlist for that year. 

Considering the city is quite remote and pretty much all med schools in Canada offer a stellar education program. Most people choose based on the location and obviously tend to go for big cities (unless you are choosing between a 3 vs 4 year med program) . Hence why Kingston is probably a low choice on most people lists.

Totally agree with you. Did my undergrad at UBC, and the prospect of a different province and a smaller-community lifestyle is enticing.

If I get off the waitlist for Queen's I could see myself declining my offer to UBC.

Yeah it's a small city, I'm definitely a big city person (hence I hope I can become resident in Toronto) but am keen on trying something new and stepping out of my comfort zone by leaving my hometown! Kingston seemed like a really fun town to live in and get that classic university experience.

I don't have experience with Kingston, so this may not apply specifically, but I can tell you about my experience moving from Toronto to Hamilton.

I was also looking to get out of the big city and went to McMaster for my undergrad. Hamilton is a fair bit larger than Kingston and much less remote, but it was smaller than Toronto, less busy/bustling and close enough to home that I could catch a bus to go home on the weekend. What I found was that the amenities that were within a 5-10 min bus ride in Toronto such as shopping malls, movie theatres, etc. were 40-60 min bus rides in Hamilton. Getting to a Walmart without a car was a serious mission lol. It was almost worth the time to hop on a bus/train and go to Toronto or Mississauga to get to these things. So it was an inconvenience when I wanted to see a movie with friends or if I needed to buy new clothing. I really don't know how Kingston is in this regard so this may not apply.

However, this did lead me to discovering new things i.e. trying out new restaurants, going to bars, exploring the amazing trails and waterfalls that were around Hamilton. So while at first it was a pretty major inconvenience, I got used to it and found other ways to spend my time.

Tldr: Going to a smaller town may force you to give up a lot of the things you take for granted in a bigger city, but you may find newer ways to entertain yourself.

Why is that :/ I was fairly set on accepting my initial offer from Queens (even if my local school, UBC, made me an offer)...why the tendency for students to go to other programs over Queens when given a choice? 

For some data for you guys

https://afmc.ca/sites/default/files/documents/en/Publications/AdmissionRequirements_en.pdf 

Search up Queen's, last two years 97 have either deferred or declined, makes sense why most of the class was from the waitlist. Have faith

But every school over-accepts, so if they initially sent out 150 invites for 100 spots, then the waitlist moved only 47. That's why I'm just curious if it's known how many people queens usually over accepts. I know I can't bank on a waitlist but I'm just trying to see what the chances are .. the wait is terrible! 

But every school over-accepts, so if they initially sent out 150 invites for 100 spots, then the waitlist moved only 47. That's why I'm just curious if it's known how many people queens usually over accepts. I know I can't bank on a waitlist but I'm just trying to see what the chances are .. the wait is terrible! 

The over accepting doesn't fit the narrative about the vast majority class coming off the waitlist though. I'm not sure that document reveals the whole story.

The over accepting doesn't fit the narrative about the vast majority class coming off the waitlist though. I'm not sure that document reveals the whole story.

Is this like actually true though? I was more under the impression that the last say 20 spots are offered a couple times before they are accepted hence adding up the number of WL acceptances they give. As opposed to the class being mostly composed of those from the waitlist. 

Seems pretty rare though... the first big wave will be in 2 weeks. But please post if you do get in before that!

Yeah, definitely seems like there are larger waves that come after those two weeks. An interesting observation from the Accepted/Rejected/WL thread is that the first "Accepted from WL" posts for the last two years both came 9 days after decision day... so perhaps some of us may hear good news as soon as this Thursday? Haha, so much speculation! :huh: 

ok so this is PURE SPECULATION:

early time stamp=pending status=will be offered admission off waitlist earlier (they didn't bother to change the status of ppl on top of WL cause they knew historically x many ppl would decline first round)

please support or refute this!

I'm pretty sure none of this means anything just on principle, and it's a great way to lose your mind .... But I can refute the early time stamp part, because my time stamp is slightly (a few minutes) later than what you said yours was, and my status reads pending and you said yours doesn't anymore. You can refute the pending part because I think some people who were accepted also didn't get updates to SOLUS.

early time stamp=pending status=will be offered admission off waitlist earlier (they didn't bother to change the status of ppl on top of WL cause they knew historically x many ppl would decline first round)

That would be cruel because my timestamp is 9:24 and my SOLUS status is updated :(. However, I don't think they'd make it that obvious, especially with Queen's being so secretive about everything else.

What if the time-stamp for the waitlists has something to do with alphabetical order?

Archived