Premed 101 Forums

2017 Queen's Waitlist Poll

Queen's waitlist 2017  

85 members have voted

1. 1. Choose the option that best describes your situation with respect to Queen's medicine admissions.

• Offered admission but will be declining to accept another offer
    • Removing self from waitlist to accept another offer
    • On the waitlist with no other offers
    • Will be accepting the offer and attending Queen's
    • Rejected post-interview
    • On multiple waitlists (including Queen's) with no offers
    • ACCEPTED OFF WAITLIST

Software developer/database engineer here. The timestamp thing is a great way to lose your mind trying to make sense out of something that most likely is not related to 'rank order'. It could be based off of the order in which OMSAS accounts were made, alphabetical by name, the date applications were initially received, the last time you logged in to your account, or a million other things. Typically, database indexes are ordered by some sort of date, so created_at or updated_at for the database record. The program would then roll through the records in that order whenever it needs to execute batch actions.  Try not to make yourself mad! Go read a book or do something fun instead haha. 

I'm on 4 waitlists myself, so I understand the frustration and desire to know what the hell is going on with your future. If you examine the situation from a different lens though, it's actually a bit relaxing. People keep wanting to make plans with me for the fall/winter and my response has been, "Can't do it. I have no idea what's happening with my life." Use this as an opportunity to live in the moment and just enjoy the things around you. In a bizarre way it's a wonderful chance to not worry about the future, as ironic as that is. Good luck everyone!

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Software developer/database engineer here. The timestamp thing is a great way to lose your mind trying to make sense out of something that most likely is not related to 'rank order'. It could be based off of the order in which OMSAS accounts were made, alphabetical by name, the date applications were initially received, the last time you logged in to your account, or a million other things. Typically, database indexes are ordered by some sort of date, so created_at or updated_at for the database record. The program would then roll through the records in that order whenever it needs to execute batch actions.  Try not to make yourself mad! Go read a book or do something fun instead haha. 

I'm on 4 waitlists myself, so I understand the frustration and desire to know what the hell is going on with your future. If you examine the situation from a different lens though, it's actually a bit relaxing. People keep wanting to make plans with me for the fall/winter and my response has been, "Can't do it. I have no idea what's happening with my life." Use this as an opportunity to live in the moment and just enjoy the things around you. In a bizarre way it's a wonderful chance to not worry about the future, as ironic as that is. Good luck everyone!

Now THAT was a refreshing dose of sanity I needed. THANK YOU!!

On another note, does anyone know if you accept another offer in Ontario (e.g., Toronto).. are you automatically taken off the waitlist for other schools (e.g., Ottawa)? Or is it possible that after accepting Toronto, you still may receive an email from Ottawa in the future saying that a spot opened up.

I'm very thankful I was able to be added to two waitlists.. but given the size of the waitlists for the two schools (Queens and Ottawa), I'm not too optimistic  :(

And agreed, great post business_doc! 

On another note, does anyone know if you accept another offer in Ontario (e.g., Toronto).. are you automatically taken off the waitlist for other schools (e.g., Ottawa)? Or is it possible that after accepting Toronto, you still may receive an email from Ottawa in the future saying that a spot opened up.

I'm very thankful I was able to be added to two waitlists.. but given the size of the waitlists for the two schools (Queens and Ottawa), I'm not too optimistic  :(

And agreed, great post business_doc! 

Yes, I believe this is the case. Once you've accepted an acceptance, you are taken off other Ontario schools' waitlists. 

I'll be honest: I'm extremely confident the time stamps are irrelevant, but I'm losing my mind over the pending vs waitlist thing, because SOLUS has inadvertently revealed information in past years...

truueee.. but maybe like others have said none of this actually means anything, and IIRC early SOLUS updates have been brief in the past after which everyone's decisions went back to pending. Anyway we'll see soon enough... ;)

Archived