Premed 101 Forums

No More Good/bad Waitlist This Year

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is 100% confirmed with admissions office. The new vice-dean admissions decided this :( All the candidates that are not accepted get placed on waitlist. The emails are identical for everyone.

I hate to be the bearer of this bad news but thought I would inform everyone.

Mr Duck

I guess since no one has heard news of someone being rejected after the interview, this supports the premise that everyone not accepted in fact got waitlisted... I haven't seen anyone post other than accepted or "good" waitlisted...

Sort of a bummer, I thought my chances were better, but I suppose now I could be anywhere in the group of candidates not accepted yet without a hint as to what our rank is.

Interesting that they would take at least 5-10 minutes to explain the good/bad waitlist system to parents and applicants in an actual presentation and then decide not to do it. Sounds like some pretty conflicting information but for the sake of my own happiness and hope, I'm going to stick with believing what the admissions officers told me in person.

No kidding... the entire cohort would need to say no and then that would need to be repeated 4 times before people at the end could get a spot. Do these people a favour and let them move on. Now 400 people are stuck in limbo for another 2 weeks. I'm an out of province applicant too. It would be nice to know if I'm staying or going as soon as possible.

No kidding... the entire cohort would need to say no and then that would need to be repeated 4 times before people at the end could get a spot. Do these people a favour and let them move on. Now 400 people are stuck in limbo for another 2 weeks. I'm an out of province applicant too. It would be nice to know if I'm staying or going as soon as possible.

It is a bit odd - I wonder what the motivation for that is? 

I just read from a different thread that apparently if you call and ask they'll say it's one waitlist because technically it is. So honestly I think we should all take a step back and stop caring about what is said on the premed forums. We're all smart (duh!) so we shouldn't let this stuff bother us :)

I read that as well! I'm hoping if anyone received an email with different wording they likely just haven't posted (and understandably so). We are only seeing a very small and maybe unrepresentative sample of applicants. And as others have pointed out it seems unreasonable to trail people along without giving them an overt rejection (insinuated by bad wait list vocabulary). So I'm with you on trying to keep a positive attitude until we hear a more definitive response ????

I doubt my info is wrong (although maybe possible). I am certain that everyone got the same email this year. Before the bad waitlist would have wording similar to: given your placement you are unlikely to receive an offer, and good waitlist was similar to: we will contact you if a place becomes available. This year there is 0 distinction, everyone got the same email.

Proof: nobody, legit 0 people I know, are on the bad waitlist. Unfortunately this is the route they chose. 

Id love to be proven wrong though because I am totally not in favor of this, really does not do anyone any good.

And to clarify, there has always been 1 waitlist, not 2. All applicants are ranked from top to bottom, the first X amount get offers and the remaining make up the waitlist. The good and bad waitlist referred to the placement within that 1 waitlist, whether your position will yield an offer of admission based on previous years stats. 

Mr Duck

Talking for myself and one another OOP applicant for French stream, exact same time stamp at 7:41am.

Both waitlisted.

Make that three at 7:41. I think they sent ONE mass email to everyone who's waitlisted for the french stream at the same time. (with somehow a modification for the name and address on the email...)

I doubt my info is wrong (although maybe possible). I am certain that everyone got the same email this year. Before the bad waitlist would have wording similar to: given your placement you are unlikely to receive an offer, and good waitlist was similar to: we will contact you if a place becomes available. This year there is 0 distinction, everyone got the same email.

Proof: nobody, legit 0 people I know, are on the bad waitlist. Unfortunately this is the route they chose.

Id love to be proven wrong though because I am totally not in favor of this, really does not do anyone any good.

And to clarify, there has always been 1 waitlist, not 2. All applicants are ranked from top to bottom, the first X amount get offers and the remaining make up the waitlist. The good and bad waitlist referred to the placement within that 1 waitlist, whether your position will yield an offer of admission based on previous years stats.

Mr Duck

For you to be certain of this you would have had to have seen all 50 of everyone's emails (50 for the french stream anyway that make up those not yet accepted) to be able to state that they were all identical. I know the total of the non accepted are waitlisted and have always been, but it seems odd and unreasonable that they decided this year to not distinguish at all based on placement/probability of being eventually accepted because that leaves many applicants hanging and prevents them from accepting another offer sooner, and is overall a big inconvenience. If you are basing your certainty on those who have posted thus far, only a very small fraction have and it is not representational.

So either whoever you spoke with told you directly what made up the content of everyone's emails (which seems like a bit of a violation of privacy) or you have some other source of information you haven't yet disclosed because you don't know every applicant personally nor do you have access to their emails... I'm not trying to be accusatory or anything at all, I hope it doesn't come across that way, and I appreciate your input on the thread, I'm just trying to piece together the facts here before jumping to any conclusions that would cause more stress than necessary.

Anyhow, my plan is to try to not think of it for the next two weeks and hope for the best, clearly I am already failing at that????

I find it hard to believe too, mostly because I don't think there's a good reason to change from the way they've always done it, and also because so many applicants remember being told about the good list/bad list system DURING the interviews. If I was in charge of admissions, the fact that we told applicants and their parents about the good waitlist bad waitlist system is alone compelling enough not to change the system this year. By every expectation there should be a bad waitlist.

But a lot of people have read this forum judging by the poll responses, and no one has posted about being sent a bad waitlist email, or even about having a friend on such a email. That's pretty convincing to me that there's no bad waitlist. While duck doesn't know for sure, this is starting to sound plausible.

Now at the very bottom of my email, it says GL/cr. DOES THAT MEAN IM ON THE GOOD LIST? Haha just kidding, I think that's just the vice-dean's initials.  but legit I'm overanalyzing this. It's going to be a painful wait to june. I think I need a hobby.

GL CR is Good Luck, Chantal Renaud (the admin officer at the uofO faculty of med).

Don't worry you guys I'm not interpreting your posts as accusatory! I got this info and wanted to share with you guys. The easiest way you guys can confirm the info yourselves is to simply email or call them and tell them you had a duck online tell you that there's no good or bad waitlist as what was explained during interviews, and then it would confirm it.

I will not comment on the timestamp theory... :P Just note that some servers sending out these emails to different email clients will process requests with delays that can differ from one another

Mr Duck

Archived