Premed 101 Forums

Really Need Some Advice

I'm currently going into my third year of undergrad and my first 2 years GPA was only a 2.7. I'm really planning on bringing it up this year (had a bunch of personal stuff going on in my first two years) and i just want to focus on doing really well. I scored a 19 AA in the Feb DAT, but I'm taking this summer off to study really hard for the November DAT. I don't know if I should take an extra year to take some extra courses to boost my GPA, or if I should think about doing a masters after I graduate (assuming I do well the next 2 years), maybe another degree, or any other options? I'm not really sure what I should do but my main goal is to go into Dentistry because I've been wanting to do that since I was very young, and I don't want to let go of my dream just yet. I just really need some advice. 

I believe UT and UWO look at your two best years, so if you do extremely well in your 3rd and 4th year, you can technically apply in two years! 

If you do not get in, but have a relatively high GPA for the past two years now, you can do a master which will add points to your application. 

I don't remember, but most schools also allow you to explain inconsistent academic trends - and maybe if you explain your story to them, they may understand where you are coming from.

Good luck with your DAT and everything else! 

I had a sub 3.0 gpa my first two years simply because a lack of focus and getting too consumed in the social aspect of university. Was able to turn things around my next two years and in my fifth year and got in. So don't give up! Just work your hardest and find out what went wrong so you can fix it

UWO and USask both look at your top 2 years (although Sask only accepts 5 or 6 OOP applicants). If you can get high 80s or even 90s in your final two years then I don't see a need to do a masters or second degree. If you'll be applying with your 4th year marks, then you'll have to apply the following cycle so you could choose to do a 5th year or 1-year masters in the mean time to add to your application. Make sure you meet the new regulations some schools have for 3/5 courses at your current year of study. 

You are focused, disciplined, have matured and are motivated to work smart and hard, to live with no regrets moving forward. Let the post of DDSER above be your guide. I'm from Quebec where I had subpar grades in Cegep. I wanted med, realized I had to treat my studies professionally and consider them my only priority in undergrad if I was going to have a shot at med. I worked incredibly hard always, lost my friends who were party animals, was exhausted at the end of every semester, lived on the basis of no regrets with my motivation intact and I became a straight A student and a self-learner in the process. I wish you every success!

I believe UT and UWO look at your two best years, so if you do extremely well in your 3rd and 4th year, you can technically apply in two years! 

If you do not get in, but have a relatively high GPA for the past two years now, you can do a master which will add points to your application. 

I don't remember, but most schools also allow you to explain inconsistent academic trends - and maybe if you explain your story to them, they may understand where you are coming from.

Good luck with your DAT and everything else! 

Thank you! Yes I'm defs applying to Western. There is a section to explain inconsistent academic trends? I did not know that! Good to hear! 

I had a sub 3.0 gpa my first two years simply because a lack of focus and getting too consumed in the social aspect of university. Was able to turn things around my next two years and in my fifth year and got in. So don't give up! Just work your hardest and find out what went wrong so you can fix it

Wow this really made my day! Thats also one if the things I struggled with I had a lack of focus but I'm trying to turn that around. Thanks again! 

You are focused, disciplined, have matured and are motivated to work smart and hard, to live with no regrets moving forward. Let the post of DDSER above be your guide. I'm from Quebec where I had subpar grades in Cegep. I wanted med, realized I had to treat my studies professionally and consider them my only priority in undergrad if I was going to have a shot at med. I worked incredibly hard always, lost my friends who were party animals, was exhausted at the end of every semester, lived on the basis of no regrets with my motivation intact and I became a straight A student and a self-learner in the process. I wish you every success!

Thank you so much! You have no idea how much this means to me!!! I wish you all the best as well! :) 

Using personal circumstances as an excuse for poor performance may sound reasonable, but it's not a good idea. What the program director is really hearing, is that you are likely to cave when any emotional or other hardship comes your way. To them, it potentially means the candidate (if admitted) is at greater risk of not finishing the program, or requiring more time. In my opinion, it would be much more preferable (for someone who has an inconsistent academic trend) to explain the steps they took improve, as well as their own personal growth, rather than focusing on what happened that led to that low GPA, standardized test score etc to begin with.

Archived