Premed 101 Forums

Horrible First 2 Years Gpa

Hello.

This is my first post. I seriously see no hope for me getting into medical school. I have done horribly these first 2 years. I suffer from severe depression which makes it very difficult for me to stay motivated.

I have recently been slowing improving.

First year Term 1: 2.7

First year Term 2: 1.7 (my grandfather passed away this term)

Second year Term 1: 3.0

Second year Term 2: not yet calculated yet since I deferred one exam

So far my marks are A+, A-, A ... and then an F in anatomy. yup i failed anatomy. I was so happy my condition was improving but after seeing that F i died inside.

I have zero hope now. My GPA is horrible. I don't know what to do. 

I will try my best to do amazing 3 and 4th year.

However, will that even help? 

I've also heard a 1 year master's degree helps boost the GPA since master credits are valued more? Is that true?

But then how will I even get into a master's program with my grades?

Will you be able to get into medical school with very hard work, short answer yes.

Long answer:

The fact you have gotten an A+ and A's shows you have the brainpower, so dont give up! Since its private, I won't ask, but is there someone you could talk too about your depression and motivation? the application process takes a serious toll  (mcat, interviews and the rest of your undergrad) let alone medical school itself is much harder. So before you embark on this crazy journey, I would be more worried about that end of life.

In the case where you maintain a full course load (which is strongly believe you can achieve), kill 3rd and 4th year, maybe even do a 5th year - you could be in a good shape for several schools. If you will want to do a masters, I know certain programs look at your last two years, and if you land a research-based one, I strongly believe that networking and building a good relationship with a potential supervisor can override low grades.

Plus, don't forget that the MCAT can open more doors. 

Will you be able to get into medical school with very hard work, short answer yes.

Long answer:

The fact you have gotten an A+ and A's shows you have the brainpower, so dont give up! Since its private, I won't ask, but is there someone you could talk too about your depression and motivation? the application process takes a serious toll  (mcat, interviews and the rest of your undergrad) let alone medical school itself is much harder. So before you embark on this crazy journey, I would be more worried about that end of life.

In the case where you maintain a full course load (which is strongly believe you can achieve), kill 3rd and 4th year, maybe even do a 5th year - you could be in a good shape for several schools. If you will want to do a masters, I know certain programs look at your last two years, and if you land a research-based one, I strongly believe that networking and building a good relationship with a potential supervisor can override low grades.

Plus, don't forget that the MCAT can open more doors. 

Thanks for the reply!

Yes I am currently getting treatment.

I used to be perfectly fine and happy in high school and achieved high grades. But first year was horrible, I was living away and made no friends. 

I will definitely work very hard 3rd and 4th year.

What do you think about my F though? I feel like that just ruined everything and I have several D's in my other courses from 1st year

You should, in conjunction with your treatment professional, decide if it's realistic for you to "work very hard 3rd and 4th year". Maybe it's worthwhile to take a year off and focus on treatment. Maybe trying too hard will exacerbate your illness. You also have to write the MCAT, are you ready for such stressor?

Remember GPA is more or less permanent, so it's better to take it slow, take your time and get a good GPA, than haphazardly rush through 4 years only to realize you can't go anywhere after.

While I do not know all the admission criteria off hand, I know there are at least 2 schools (Queens, UWO) that look at 2 years, so say you get a great 3rd year, do well on the MCAT, you could realistically get a conditional interview and acceptance to UWO. But for now that's all future-talk. You are thinking wayyyy too far ahead regarding Masters etc etc.

Again you should focus on treatment, since you mentioned you are "slowly improving". 

Agreed with the above comment. I think its possible to 'fix' your situation, but I just get this strong gut feeling that you have to 'sort your life out' before you proceed.

We are just in the beginning, and this process is going to get significantly more stressful and harder!

I would agree it is very important to fix the underlying problem - even if it takes time. Not just for medical school, but also for everything else. 

Agreed with the above comment. I think its possible to 'fix' your situation, but I just get this strong gut feeling that you have to 'sort your life out' before you proceed.

We are just in the beginning, and this process is going to get significantly more stressful and harder!

Yeah - agree with above comments - nothing should ever be worth more than your own health and happiness.  Of course med school is worth working towards with all the dedication possible, but not at the expense of a serious toll on your life.  Much better to take time now to be at 100% rather than push yourself through a situation during which you're not at a good place and won't actually ultimately benefit you or your goals.  

Archived