Premed 101 Forums

Lasik Eye Surgery

8 hours ago, Applemanv3 said:

Had LASIK with CFMS discount summer 2012. Best money spent ever. Would do it again in a heartbeat. Got it done at LASIK MD Mississauga.

Now, I'm a diagnostic radiology resident. Knew even back then that's what I wanted, so no regrets and no issues.

What about night vision and dry eyes ? They resolved 100% with time ?

On 8/16/2017 at 11:40 AM, Clapton said:

What about night vision and dry eyes ? They resolved 100% with time ?

Every  person is different. If you have dry eyes prior to the surgery, you will most likely have even worse dry eye symptoms. The bottom line is that even though they advertise Lasik eye surgery as potentially harmless, there are still some risks: eye vision fluctuation, dry eyes, halos, starbursts. 

Also, 10-25% of patients need retouch surgery after a few years. As one's vision fluctuates in 40-50s, you will most end up wearing glasses at the end of the road. If you could tolerate wear contact lenses and don't want any potential risks, I would stick with prescription glasses. 

On 8/16/2017 at 3:37 AM, Applemanv3 said:

Had LASIK with CFMS discount summer 2012. Best money spent ever. Would do it again in a heartbeat. Got it done at LASIK MD Mississauga.

Now, I'm a diagnostic radiology resident. Knew even back then that's what I wanted, so no regrets and no issues.

1000% agree, also did mine in 2012 (Waterloo) and only regret not doing it earlier.

• 2 months later...

LASIK MD Missisauga was very forthcoming with my individual risk for dry eyes, halos, etc. They in fact did no selling whatsoever, so I truly felt the decision was mine. My quoted risk of needing future correction was 15-20%. I again still have no regrets.

My wife had it done as well and she had more dryness than I did, but she still has no regrets. It is manageable.

9 hours ago, Applemanv3 said:

LASIK MD Missisauga was very forthcoming with my individual risk for dry eyes, halos, etc. They in fact did no selling whatsoever, so I truly felt the decision was mine. My quoted risk of needing future correction was 15-20%. I again still have no regrets.

My wife had it done as well and she had more dryness than I did, but she still has no regrets. It is manageable.

I think that it is up to each person, but I think that if anyone in the field with need of perfect visual acuity (i.e: surgery, procedure-heavy specialties), where a blurry vision could cause a lot of problems, I will not personally risk it, it's not worth it.

• 1 month later...
On 1/4/2018 at 2:59 PM, wiseottawa said:

Anyone have this done with vision -8 or -9? I am wondering what procedure would be best and if it is doable and safe.

I believe PRK is recommended over LASIK for large corrections, but you should just go into a centre for a free consult. They're so nice and give you so much information to answer all your questions. 

Archived